• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Young Army officer dies while jogging

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

Young Army officer dies while jogging

By David Fisher
3:38 PM Tuesday Feb 24, 2015

DanThompson22_220x147.jpg

Captain Dan Thompson. Photo / supplied

A young Army officer who endured New Zealand's most deadly period in Afghanistan died after a suspected heart attack while out on his morning run.

Captain Dan Thompson, 29, whose family live in Muriwai north of Auckland, was expected to rise to the highest of ranks in the Army before tragedy struck on Saturday.

Emergency services personnel say they fought for an hour to try and save the life of Captain Thompson after being called for help to a walkway above Sumner about 9am.

A spokesman for St John said Captain Thompson was in a criticial condition when taken to Christchurch Hospital by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter and died shortly after.

Captain Thompson, who had planned to marry fiancee Anna Jack next month, signed up with the Army in 2006 while a student at Victoria University, going through officer training and being posted to 2/1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment at Burnham.

He served in East Timor in 2007 and Afghanistan in 2012 - the latter he later described as "probably our toughest tour" after the loss of five people from the Bamyan-based Provincial Reconstruction Team.

The comment was made during an interview with Canterbury University's magazine Canta after the Army encouraged him to take up tertiary study to prepare him for higher ranks.

"When I was in Afghanistan I was briefing foreign ministers, so when they start (talking about) low-level or mid-level policy, the Army doesn't want me standing there going like, 'What are you on about'?"

Captain Thompson, who was the fourth generation of his family to join the Army, told Canta he was at ease with the risks which came with war.

He was monitoring by radio a patrol which struck an IED killing Corporal Luke Tamatea, 31, Lance Corporal Jacinda Baker, 26, and Private Richard Harris, 21.

"Losing three of your soldiers at once and you hear it over a radio, that's more bone breaking than even seeing things firsthand because you can't do anything about it," he said. "It's happened, it's a second in time, it had nothing to do with how good they were. It's just war, it happens.

"You can be the best soldier in the battlefield and if a sniper decides to shoot you then... that's it."

A funeral for Captain Thompson is being held on Thursday at Burnham Military Camp near Christchurch with personnel from around the country expected to support parents Graeme and Angela Thompson, and Ms Jack.

By David Fisher
- NZ Herald

Copyright ©2015, APN New Zealand Limited

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
health checks fail to discover his illness.
so do u still believe in regular health check?

No amount of checks can uncover everything. There are many latent conditions that remain undetected.

However a simple blood test can screen for many ailments all of which are treatable.

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal
No amount of checks can uncover everything. There are many latent conditions that remain undetected.

However a simple blood test can screen for many ailments all of which are treatable.

Exactly, there's once I went to polyclinic for a blood test, I requested for a few more tests than normal...even the nurse was surprised that I
did so many tests, drew more blood than standard test.
Well, I knew some people don't want to do blood test or checkups unless necessary, afraid to know some "bad news"...better safe than sorry.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, there's once I went to polyclinic for a blood test, I requested for a few more tests than normal...even the nurse was surprised that I
did so many tests, drew more blood than standard test.
Well, I knew some people don't want to do blood test or checkups unless necessary, afraid to know some "bad news"...better safe than sorry.

YES! Blood tests can detect heart attack.
Please read article below.
But PLease consult your doctor too.

:*:
How Is a Heart Attack Diagnosed?

Your doctor will diagnose a heart attack based on your signs and symptoms, your medical and family histories, and test results.

Diagnostic Tests

EKG (Electrocardiogram)

An EKG is a simple, painless test that detects and records the heart's electrical activity. The test shows how fast the heart is beating and its rhythm (steady or irregular). An EKG also records the strength and timing of electrical signals as they pass through each part of the heart.

An EKG can show signs of heart damage due to coronary heart disease (CHD) and signs of a previous or current heart attack.

Blood Tests

During a heart attack, heart muscle cells die and release proteins into the bloodstream. Blood tests can measure the amount of these proteins in the bloodstream. Higher than normal levels of these proteins suggest a heart attack.

Commonly used blood tests include troponin tests, CK or CK–MB tests, and serum myoglobin tests. Blood tests often are repeated to check for changes over time.

Coronary Angiography

Coronary angiography (an-jee-OG-ra-fee) is a test that uses dye and special x rays to show the insides of your coronary arteries. This test often is done during a heart attack to help find blockages in the coronary arteries.

To get the dye into your coronary arteries, your doctor will use a procedure called cardiac catheterization (KATH-e-ter-ih-ZA-shun).

A thin, flexible tube called a catheter is put into a blood vessel in your arm, groin (upper thigh), or neck. The tube is threaded into your coronary arteries, and the dye is released into your bloodstream.

Special x rays are taken while the dye is flowing through the coronary arteries. The dye lets your doctor study the flow of blood through the heart and blood vessels.

If your doctor finds a blockage, he or she may recommend a procedure calledpercutaneous (per-ku-TA-ne-us) coronary intervention (PCI), sometimes referred to as coronary angioplasty (AN-jee-oh-plas-tee). This procedure can help restore blood flow through a blocked artery. Sometimes a small mesh tube called a stent is placed in the artery to help prevent blockages after the procedure.

:*:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
YES! Blood tests can detect heart attack.
Please read article below.
But PLease consult your doctor too.

A blood test can diagnose a heart attack that has already occurred.

However it cannot predict a heart attack except by indirect means eg lipid levels.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That guy must be a meat eater. If he is a vegetarian, he will be enjoying the run for many more years to come.