• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Price of warranty for Samsung 500GB SSD?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looking at upgrading from my SSD to something larger like 500GB. Checked with local prices & found the following:

Local Source from Sim Lim
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB $369
Samsung 850 PRO 500GB &639

Amazon with Global Saver option i.e. FREE shipping
Samsung 850 EVO SIN$333.49
Samsung 840 Pro SIN$416.93

Looking at the prices I am considering getting the 850 Pro from Amazon because I can save $222 from local prices. The only draw back is the lack of local warranty.
Anyone know how reliable the new 850 Pro SSDs are:confused: If I need to pay for any repairs how much will it cost:confused:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Anyone know how reliable the new 850 Pro SSDs are:confused: If I need to pay for any repairs how much will it cost:confused:

You can't repair an SSD physically. However if does start acting up there are utilities that can mark bad blocks so that they aren't used but this will be at the cost of read and write speed.

I have had no problems with any of the Crucial SSDs that I have purchased. Only one SSD has given me problems and that was the one that came with my Macbook Air. I repaired it with Drive Genius but the speed penalty pissed me off so I ordered a replacement SSD from OWC and installed it myself.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should avoid the 840 EVOs as they have problems... probably some firmware issue from an earlier batch.

It is a good habit, before making any purchase, to read the reviews and complaints of the products which you may be interested to buy. You can find helpful information on various tech sites and tech forums.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's what a little bird from the West would like me to ask you:

1. Ask yourself why you prefer Samsung over other brands
2. Ask yourself why you want to buy an SSD over an HDD
3. Ask yourself if you plan to install an operating system on the SSD. If yes, which one? Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, GNU/Linux or BSD operating system?
4. Ask yourself if write, read and IOPs of an SSD matter
5. Ask yourself the type of hardware you will be using with the SSD (Intel or AMD CPU? Sandy-Bridge, Ivy-Bridge, Haswell or Broadwell CPU? Amount of RAM? Intel or AMD chipset? Dedicated graphics card?
6. Ask yourself whether the SSD will be used in a RAID configuration; if yes with HDD or SSD

Based on your answers to the above, the little bird from the West will provide some helpful advice.

Last edited:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amazon with Global Saver option i.e. FREE shipping Samsung 850 EVO SIN$333.49 Samsung 840 Pro SIN$416.93
If security and integrity of your data is critical to you, do NOT have the SSD shipped to you from abroad as LEEgime is known to intercept HDDs and SSDs to insert surveillance software into the disk controllers. Leegime is working closely with the NSA and GCHQ.

That's what a little bird from the West told me.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Samsung evo have this new feature called RAPID that makes it faster than conventional SSDs. They do this by utilizing the rams. Nowadays most people have at least 8GB of ram and many people have 16GB and upwards so ram space shouldn't be a factor .

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should avoid the 840 EVOs as they have problems... probably some firmware issue from an earlier batch.

It is a good habit, before making any purchase, to read the reviews and complaints of the products which you may be interested to buy. You can find helpful information on various tech sites and tech forums.

WTF post some reviews before making a comment like you should avoid this or that brand.

Well what do you reccommend? Which brand then?

See that's the problem you should suggest a few other models/brand to the TS but ultimately allow him to make the decision instead of forcing your opinion like you should avoid the 840. Seriously almost every post of yours has this smarty pants type of reply like your opinion is the only one available.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The early models were problematical, that is why I decided to get an Intel which at the time received good reviews. I think the SSD technology has matured & that is why I am considering a 500GB drive. The prices have also come down.

From the reviews the biggest criticism of the 850 Pro is it's price:smile: If I decide to get the 850 Pro it will be from Amazon where it is $200+ cheaper than what the stores in Spore are charging. If I get an 850 Evo I'll probably get it locally because it is only $30 more than the US prices.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can't repair an SSD physically. However if does start acting up there are utilities that can mark bad blocks so that they aren't used but this will be at the cost of read and write speed.

I have had no problems with any of the Crucial SSDs that I have purchased. Only one SSD has given me problems and that was the one that came with my Macbook Air. I repaired it with Drive Genius but the speed penalty pissed me off so I ordered a replacement SSD from OWC and installed it myself.

If an SSD is under warranty they will probably do an exchange with a refurbished unit. That was what they did for my faulty Western Digital HDD.

The newer Samsung SSDs have a longer warranty. 5 years for the EVO units & 10 years for the Pro units.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so basically buy SSD can use for super long time as long as enough capacity huh ?

can last 10 years or more ?

Life span will depend on factors like whether an SSD uses a MLC or TLC chips & how often you write & erase files,.. MLC has a longer life span but cost more. The 850 Pro uses MLC chips while the cheaper 850 Evo uses TLC chips. That's why the EVO only has a 5 year warranty, while the PRO has a 10 year warranty.

Wouldn't worry too much over the lifespan because most users will upgrade before an SSD wears out because the prices of SSDs will fall, their capacity increases & they become faster. The current bottle neck is the limitation of the SATA III transfer speed of 6GB/s. If you want better performance you need to get a newer mother board which supports PCIe, then you can use this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XP941...&ie=UTF8&qid=1424698545&sr=1-139&keywords=ssd

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Life span will depend on factors like whether an SSD uses a MLC or TLC chips & how often you write & erase files,.. MLC has a longer life span but cost more. The 850 Pro uses MLC chips while the cheaper 850 Evo uses TLC chips. That's why the EVO only has a 5 year warranty, while the PRO has a 10 year warranty.

Wouldn't worry too much over the lifespan because most users will upgrade before an SSD wears out because the prices of SSDs will fall, their capacity increases & they become faster. The current bottle neck is the limitation of the SATA III transfer speed of 6GB/s. If you want better performance you need to get a newer mother board which supports PCIe, then you can use this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XP941...&ie=UTF8&qid=1424698545&sr=1-139&keywords=ssd

i was hoping SSD can last a lifetime

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I've got no idea what my Apple Air uses probably a Sumsung, this is a 500G and I've been using it for more than a year and I often max out with photos and music I've not got any problem with it. I also don't feel any slow down in performance despite the almost full storage utilized show here with my Disk Doctor

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am poor I can only afford this! :biggrin:

SDSSDHP-128G-G25_l.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am poor I can only afford this! :biggrin:

SDSSDHP-128G-G25_l.jpg

A user will experience the greatest benefit when they 1st upgrade from a hard disk to an SSD. Even a small SSD is large enough for the OS & applications. After you've tried an SSD I doubt anyone goes back to using only a HDD.

Currently I have a 128GB SSD & a 4 TB HDD installed on my PC. When I open the HDD I find it really sl....ow . The difference in relative speed is very noticeable. SSDs are now very reasonably priced e.g. around $110 for a 128GB unit. A reasonable upgrade to give any PC a new life.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Apple OEMs their SSDs from Samsung, Toshiba & Sandisk

When I get my MBs I prefer to order online than get from shop as I could select and customize. Shops carry only 256GB units for the Air.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal