• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pressure cooker and slow cooker......which is better?

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For items such as barley...... Have always like the taste of drinking barley water, especially after preparation and leaving it in the fridge to drink later. However it takes just too long on normal preparation, boiling it and soften the barley to eat it too. More then an hour, will pressure cooker be quicker or the slow cooker type. Of course, can include others such as pork (bak kut or mutton etc).

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Get with the times and get an induction cooker.

And stay away from the cheap China brands e.g. Sona, they spoil easily. Get more reputable brands e.g. Philips. A little more expensive but you'll save yourself plenty of annoyance and repair costs down the road.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Get with the times and get an induction cooker.

And stay away from the cheap China brands e.g. Sona, they spoil easily. Get more reputable brands e.g. Philips. A little more expensive but you'll save yourself plenty of annoyance and repair costs down the road.

the induction cooker I bought many years ago is still working fine.... it is made in China

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you get an induction cooker don't forget that you will need ferromagnetic cookware. Bring a magnet & if you can stick it to the underside of the pot/pan pan, then it is ferromagnetic.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
My German induction hob lasted 8 years, According to the service guy they usually start giving problems after about 5 years.

the technology n manufacturing is pretty straightforward so not difficult to get robust product
furthermore if life is that short, say 5 yrs, no big deal buying another at $35

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the technology n manufacturing is pretty straightforward so not difficult to get robust product

I spent over $2,000 for my built-in induction hob:(

When I was looking for a replacement, I got a cheaper 4 burner Bosch ceramic hob for about $1,000+. It was either all induction or all ceramic. In Spore you will not find a hybrid induction & ceramic hob. If you get the built-in units they can cost anything from $500 to $2,000+

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Except that if it spoils just at the time when you were about to cook something.

Or one that spoils barely a month after purchase.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I spent over $2,000 for my built-in induction hob:(

When I was looking for a replacement, I got a cheaper 4 burner Bosch ceramic hob for about $1,000+. It was either all induction or all ceramic. In Spore you will not find a hybrid induction & ceramic hob. If you get the built-in units they can cost anything from $500 to $2,000+

Still, nothing beats having a charcoal stove and claypot cookware. If you are not pressed for time and you have ample space and ventilation for it (e.g. those living in landed property), indulge yourselves in the old fashioned way of cooking or boiling water.

pots-kettle-charcoal-stove-882235.jpg

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still, nothing beats having a charcoal stove and claypot cookware. If you are not pressed for time and you have ample space and ventilation for it (e.g. those living in landed property), indulge yourselves in the old fashioned way of cooking or boiling water.

pots-kettle-charcoal-stove-882235.jpg

Claypot wares and charcoal stoves are viewed as old fashioned by many youngsters but they produced the best food!

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be creating lost of fumes and ashes. it is not envirnment friendly.

You see it as environment non friendly from the cage of your pigeon hole. Back in the kampong and suburban days, no such issues and food tasted 100 times better than what you get in food court today. The environment in food court is better though.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will be creating lost of fumes and ashes. it is not envirnment friendly.

Top-grade charcoal emits little smoke and is made from environmentally friendly material.

If you wish to placate your green guilt, spend a little more money. :wink: