• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Taxi Driver's encounter with a China construction worker

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LOCAL TAXI DRIVER: MY EXPERIENCE WITH A PRC CONSTRUCTION WORKER

http://therealsingapore.com/content/local-taxi-driver-my-experience-prc-construction-worker

Last Sunday night, I encountered an incident with a China construction worker which I want to share with the Singapore public.

I was driving around Jurong East around midnight thinking about how I wanted to go to Red Hill View to eat my favourite Yong Tau Foo.

As I was driving along Jurong East Avenue 1, I saw a PRC construction worker trying to flag down my cab.

I actually have deep respect for construction workers as I believe they are very hard working. I never refuse to pick them up even if they might be muddy. I will still pick them up and simply clean my taxi afterward if they do leave m&d or dirt behind.

I stopped and the man, in a Northern China accent, said that he was going to Kranji. I told him no problem and he got in.

While driving, I struck up a conversation with the PRC construction worker asking why he was out here alone in the middle of the night.

He explained that he had gone to make a police report and by the time he was done, there were no more trains.

Curious, I asked him what had happened that he needed to make a police report. He also spoke with a thick Norther China accent and I asked him where he was from.

He said that he was from Henan and his name was Zheng Zhi Shan and he was 37 years old. He was working in Singapore as a construction worker and he had needed to make a police report because he had found a wallet that evening.

I listened intently as he shared his story with me.

He said that he had been drinking with his friends that evening but as he was getting ready to catch a train back to his dorm at about 10pm, he saw a wallet on the ground outside Jurong East MRT Station.

He picked it up and found $300 SingDollars inside as well as a work pass showing the face of a dark skinned man.

Mr Zheng thought that the man who had lost his wallet would surely come back as he was probably worried and looking for it, especially given the large amount of money in the wallet.

He waited at the Station for about 20 minutes but no body showed up to claim the wallet. He decided to try and hand it over to the SMRT control officers but they wouldn't accept it saying that he would need to hand it to police at the nearest police station.

They instructed him that he'd need to catch bus 334 and taught him how to get to the nearest police station. However he felt very confused as it sounded very complicated.
In the end, he shared how he had had to seek the assistance of a young girl and it was lucky that she could speak mandarin.

He had hurriedly told her what had happened and that he was in a rush as he wanted to catch the last train home.

When she heard what had happened she was touched by what the PRC man wanted to do and she agreed to help him and brought him to the nearest Police station which turned out to be next to Yuhua Community Centre.

At the police station, officers took down his details and what had happened by the time he was finished, the time was already past midnight and he knew he couldn't make it back in time for the last train.

However, His efforts did not go unrewarded as just as he was getting ready to leave the police station, two dark skinned men came into the police station looking for a lost wallet.

As it turned out, the men were actually looking for the wallet that Mr Zheng had just brought in.

I was shocked, how coincidental!

Mr Zheng shared that when the Dark skinned man found out it was him to brought in his wallet he was so overwhelmed with happiness and gratitude and he shook his hand whole heartedly and repeatedly thanked him.

Mr Zheng could not really understand anything else that the man said but he could feel his deep gratitude. $300 is no small amount for foreign construction workers in Singapore.

Mr Zheng then came out of the police station and realised that he had no way home as he had well and truly missed his last train already. Shortly after, he flagged down my cab.

I was also touched by his story and how he had clearly gone out of his way to help a total stranger and was not tempted to take any of the money.

I told him that I wasn't going to charge him for the cab fare back to his dormitory. He refused and said that he also understands that taxi driving is not an easy job.

I insisted saying that I wanted to show him the respect I had for his honesty and also reassured him that it was within my means. It also gave me an opportunity to do a good deed. In the end he agreed and even let me take photos together with him to upload to facebook.

Last time I was a photographer with Zaobao and I even gave him tips on how he should relax and hold his head high so he looked better and more comfortable in the photo despite being tired after a long day. I reassured him saying that he should be proud of what he has done and I wanted to share his good deeds with the public.

Even after he left my cab and I told him to go back and rest well, he stood by the side of the road waving me off until I drove away.

I was touched by what had happened this evening and realised that it was already past 1am. I decided to make the trip to Red Hill View and treat myself to my favourite yong tau foo.

kranji_0.jpg

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks to the pap sg is so safe, affordable and convenient that even after 1am a taxi uncle can easily satisfy his craving for red hill view yong tau fu after dropping off a passenger 54 minutes past midnight. :biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good karma will befall the taxi uncle and the Chinese construction guy. That's a given.

Good karma maybe for the ah tiong but I won't say the same for the cabby. Ex worker from the braddell whorehouse now need to be late night cabby because not enough $$ after being replace by younger FTrashs.:oIo: