• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

41 & Jobless. How?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]DIPLOMA HOLDER’S DILEMMA IN CONTRACT JOB MARKET[/h]
Post date:
17 Feb 2015 - 8:00pm

Jobless 41-year-old diploma holder facing challenges in the job market due to contract work conditions
Dear Mr Gilbert

Thank you for taking time to read my email.

I am 41 years old and completed my Diploma in Business Administration at Singapore Polytechnic in 2012.

I have been doing administrative work with various Statutory Board/Ministries for the past 10 years.

Due to changes in HR practice, Fixed Term contract jobs dominated the Singapore job market.

I was offered 2 Fixed Term contract jobs (non renewable) from 2011 – 2013. I found them challenging and accepted them.

After completing these 2 jobs, I found it difficult to secure a new job.

Employers regard me as ‘old’ and ‘unable to take up new challenges’. They also classify Fixed Term contract jobs as ‘job hopping’. Online job portals and recruitment agencies also do not give chances to older workers.

Interview opportunities were often accompanied by plenty of rude remarks, regarding my age, qualification and work experience, from interviewers. I try to be polite and convince them but they are blinded by their own prejudice.

WDA was unable to help and tried to evade the problem by sending me to unsuitable job fairs.

As time passes, the gap between my last employment and the present time widens.

There is nothing wrong with me but I cannot be telling people that the previous interviewers discriminated against me.

In this changing world, we have to adapt to changes and take on jobs that we do not like.

I also upgraded myself hoping for a better life but failed to gain acceptance from employers.

There is a group of selfish people out there who abuse their authority and take away our chances for survival.

They are paid a high salary to sit through interview sessions just to insult people and kill time.

How does this make us a fair and inclusive society?

I would appreciate it if you could offer me some advice as I do not know how to take the next step.

Regards.

Larry
[Transitioning Editor’s note: We have offered the writer our coaching service.]
*Letter first appeared in Transitioning.org, a support site run by Gilbert Goh.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
When he got all the time in the world working in stat boards......why he didn't upgrade himself early during spare time?

But anyway in sg now, got degree at 41 years of age also difficult to find jobs, esp with admin experience only.

With the open leg policy.............:(

Post date:

I have been doing administrative work with various Statutory Board/Ministries for the past 10 years.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
To: Mr Gilbert

Please suggest to Larry, the writer, to work for free as Pinky's slave.

Larry is in luck because Pinky does need someone to clean up after him, to look after his needs 24/7. If Pinky is pleased with Larry's performance, the latter's fortune will definitely turn for the better.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I believe it's the 2012 diploma that had done him in. Now he is over qualified and employers cannot afford to pay him. He should have listened to PAP, higher education is not the thing to secure a career. PAP the best!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Larry is in luck because Pinky does need someone to clean up after him, to look after his needs 24/7. If Pinky is pleased with Larry's performance, the latter's fortune will definitely turn for the better.

Clean his diapers, be careful don't strain the stitches, Carry his balls, if there is any left, & hold him while, he pees, walk...etc.. then he can be drafted into the membership & that is life long thing....good pay, never jobless, even make grave mistakes, like allowing a terrorist escape, no need to do harakiri....are you a member?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He can try to enrol in a creative craftsman (carpenter) course.

These people don't use their brains, you expect them to use their hands ( which is only good for PCC)??? the only way out, is to join the People's Affliated, RC etc..& become a member...

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
These people don't use their brains, you expect them to use their hands ( which is only good for PCC)??? the only way out, is to join the People's Affliated, RC etc..& become a member...

These people don't have brains cos they have been brainwashed by the PAP for decades.
People need skills to survive in turbulent working environment not paper qualifications.
The PAP have misled and double-crossed us for too long.
Time for retribution to the PAP sooner or later.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is what happens to those who don't heed my advice of achieving financial independence by 40. :rolleyes:

Serves him right.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

you mean if pinkie happy, larry will be showered in golden.... gory?

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Post date:

Jobless 41-year-old diploma holder facing challenges in the job market due to contract work conditions
Dear Mr Gilbert

Thank you for taking time to read my email.

I am 41 years old and completed my Diploma in Business Administration at Singapore Polytechnic in 2012.

Due to changes in HR practice, Fixed Term contract jobs dominated the Singapore job market.

I was offered 2 Fixed Term contract jobs (non renewable) from 2011 – 2013. I found them challenging and accepted them.

After completing these 2 jobs, I found it difficult to secure a new job.

Employers regard me as ‘old’ and ‘unable to take up new challenges’. They also classify Fixed Term contract jobs as ‘job hopping’. Online job portals and recruitment agencies also do not give chances to older workers.

Interview opportunities were often accompanied by plenty of rude remarks, regarding my age, qualification and work experience, from interviewers. I try to be polite and convince them but they are blinded by their own prejudice.

WDA was unable to help and tried to evade the problem by sending me to unsuitable job fairs.

As time passes, the gap between my last employment and the present time widens.

There is nothing wrong with me but I cannot be telling people that the previous interviewers discriminated against me.

In this changing world, we have to adapt to changes and take on jobs that we do not like.

I also upgraded myself hoping for a better life but failed to gain acceptance from employers.

There is a group of selfish people out there who abuse their authority and take away our chances for survival.

They are paid a high salary to sit through interview sessions just to insult people and kill time.

How does this make us a fair and inclusive society?

I would appreciate it if you could offer me some advice as I do not know how to take the next step.

Regards.

Larry
[Transitioning Editor’s note: We have offered the writer our coaching service.]
*Letter first appeared in Transitioning.org, a support site run by Gilbert Goh.

What you hv said is very real and rampant affecting many middle-aged PMEs
Govt knows but is doing FO abt it as it appears that their tactic is to replace sgians with pliable FTs
So no choice but to VTO!!