• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lo Hei - a crappy culture

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was away from Singapore for overseas studies, and when I returned in the later part of the eighties, I witnessed something totally alien to me - Tossing the Fish to celebrate Chinese New Year! It was a messy, noisy, boisterous, and a vulgar, wasteful method to celebrate. I was then told it originated in Singapore, and not from China. Later on, I never noticed PRCs or HongKongers or Taiwanese doing this. If this is meant to symbolize a Singaporean tradition/culture, I wonder where the salmon came from? Caught in the straits locally? By poor fishermen? The way it is done is also disrespectful of food, as much of it lays strewn on the table, some on the floor, during the tossing. Yet, nobody gives a thought to this. They don't give a fuck about it. Just eat. I don't do this at home, and will only do so to oblige the group I am with. Someday, when the good times are over, I'd love to see Singaporeans tossing their food in the air and shouting gleefully phrases of good fortune. And this is not a Chinese tradition, so it should be done at Singapore New Year. Fucking idiots.

Cheers!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is not much salmon anyway. It's the ingenuity of some chefs to toss together left over food to create a dish and marketing takes care of the rest.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gong cheebye dun talk cock la.
Back in 80's? Lohei originated in the 60s and popular in 70s already.
What salmon? Back then only use parang fish or mackerel la.
Most important traditionally no one toss the salad but rather just mix the ingredients.....only later part some smart aleck wanted to go one up and 'lo' higher thus tossing higher also kiasu sinkie's culture scare to lose out during the lohei thus jostle to lo and throwing ingredients all over the place.
So what if this is not Chink culture? Sinkie evolved is much better than follow strictly chink culture

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Anything invented by the chinks is stupid. If sinkie chinks came up with the idea, it's even dumber.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be risky to increase the amount of raw fish. The way the commercial operators work, it is a health risk. Salmon justifies price increment, and for CNY, its affordable, otherwise lose face.

Cheers!

There is not much salmon anyway. It's the ingenuity of some chefs to toss together left over food to create a dish and marketing takes care of the rest.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesn't bother me whether it originated centuries ago either. I mentioned eighties was because I never witnessed it in the 70s or 60s. Maybe it was because I started working in the 80s and celebrated CNY with office colleaques in addition to just family. As a boy, I never notice this practice of Lo Hei in the family either, only much later. Salmon? That's what is advertised by the restaurants, I don't see them blaring about using Ikan Parang or even mackerel. For a local dish to be genuine, they should be using Aruan (snakehead)!!!

Cheers!

Gong cheebye dun talk cock la.
Back in 80's? Lohei originated in the 60s and popular in 70s already.
What salmon? Back then only use parang fish or mackerel la.
Most important traditionally no one toss the salad but rather just mix the ingredients.....only later part some smart aleck wanted to go one up and 'lo' higher thus tossing higher also kiasu sinkie's culture scare to lose out during the lohei thus jostle to lo and throwing ingredients all over the place.
So what if this is not Chink culture? Sinkie evolved is much better than follow strictly chink culture

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other than selling to Singapore, the Chinese have to contend as followers in today's world market. They are still catching up, about half a century behind. I'd like to see them come up with a world class motorcycle first.

Cheers!

Anything invented by the chinks is stupid. If sinkie chinks came up with the idea, it's even dumber.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... shouting gleefully phrases of good fortune. And this is not a Chinese tradition ...
if u wan 2 sel anyting 2 chinese, say it'll bring u gud 4tune ... sure wok! ...

juz rook @ dose who bank in moni on feb 4 ... ornaments dat sellers tel u can bring u gud 4tune all sel like hot cakes ...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't knock Lo Hei! It's uniquely Sinkaporeans

There are lot of things uniquely Singapore, like Mee Siam, Roti John, etc....& even much more uniquely Singapore ( especially LHL) are, Mee Siam Mai Hum & LHL Prostate Cancer, which has no relation to any other cancer..uniquely Singapore.:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The pappies love to incorporate it in their celebrations with grassroots porlumpars. :wink:

GT2br9L.png

Putting aside the superstitions related to prosperity, the food seems alright.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is nothing to be superior about not wanting to do it.

especially with regards to traditions.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
lou hei nice meh...all the sweet sweet syrup... eat oredi not scared ah..plus artificial colouring...:eek:

jw5

Loyal
Wow, you are very uptight aren't you? :rolleyes:

I was away from Singapore for overseas studies, and when I returned in the later part of the eighties, I witnessed something totally alien to me - Tossing the Fish to celebrate Chinese New Year! It was a messy, noisy, boisterous, and a vulgar, wasteful method to celebrate. I was then told it originated in Singapore, and not from China. Later on, I never noticed PRCs or HongKongers or Taiwanese doing this. If this is meant to symbolize a Singaporean tradition/culture, I wonder where the salmon came from? Caught in the straits locally? By poor fishermen? The way it is done is also disrespectful of food, as much of it lays strewn on the table, some on the floor, during the tossing. Yet, nobody gives a thought to this. They don't give a fuck about it. Just eat. I don't do this at home, and will only do so to oblige the group I am with. Someday, when the good times are over, I'd love to see Singaporeans tossing their food in the air and shouting gleefully phrases of good fortune. And this is not a Chinese tradition, so it should be done at Singapore New Year. Fucking idiots.

Cheers!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i agree everything sinkies or chinks do is stupid,but TS is one uptight chinkophobic anglophiliac white cocksucking muthafucker.iv never heard him say anything good about any other countries capabilities or culture chinese or russian except worship his dumbass american culture all day long.and its not even the good kind of american culture,just the mainstream garbage.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. My wife, my mother, are really into the traditions and beliefs. Gold and red, symbols of fish. And for this period of the year, somehow extra superstitious. Lucky bamboo, pussy willows, kumquat plant, suddenly they all appear, and these all perk up their moods. I wish for firecrackers though!!

Cheers!

if u wan 2 sel anyting 2 chinese, say it'll bring u gud 4tune ... sure wok! ...

juz rook @ dose who bank in moni on feb 4 ... ornaments dat sellers tel u can bring u gud 4tune all sel like hot cakes ...