• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

all dialects are dead in singapore!!

chowcheebye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bb5MJjd.gif

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Years ago, I had a discussion with some relatives about this "mother tongue" issue. I said that our mother tongue is hokkien, teochew, Cantonese, etc, even malay and tamil, and NOT mandarin. Nobody gave a shit about my comments. They were so proud their little ones were able to sing mandarin songs, recite mandarin poems. Now in the late teens, none of these little buggers are able to speak in dialect. That culture is lost.

Cheers!

don't believe? try talking in hokkien, cantonese, teochew, hakka, hainanese or other minority dialects to the kids. any kids - young or old. i doubt even the young adults also know how to speack or even understand their own dialect roots.

this is sad. this is really very sad that under the pap, all our dialect roots are brutally being murdered.

how can a nation progress further if they have lost their roots?:kma:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the ridiculous part is sg chinese chamber of commerce is organising HOKKIEN CONVERSATION CLASS for those who are interested to do biz in prc hokkien provinces such as xia men or even taiwan which uses very melodious hokkien. :smile:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
chin dialects are dead because
the jackal speaks a rare animal dialect which is not commonly spoken by sillypootians
and the hyenas speak in many tongues literally,
got tamil , cantonese , hokkiens , teochew , etc.
seeing the unpopularity of its won dialect
jackal killed all dialects.
now y High Density Building implement race quota
hyenas will tell u it is for racial harmony.
I heard other said it is to prevent voting based on racial , religious line.
image 70% of a town is Irish and an Irish presbyter stand for eRection
you know the out come if the 70% decide who to vote
based on religious/race affinity.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The dialects showcased in the vid is 2nd rate at best

This Ah Pek's Cantonese far better
Than those who recently migrated
But still have strong Teochew accent
Mine definitely better than rich Ah Pek
However my wallet is much shallower
Seizing opportunities more important
In any case Hongkies every time
Throw in lots of English words one
When in bad mood and cannot tahan
Made sure use proper business Canto
Perverse case of one up manship

[video=youtube;h8hRjZViZvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8hRjZViZvU[/video]

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
did li ka shing formally educated? don't think he could speak a word in english or even mandarin but he's the richest man in s e asia.

all he speak is cantonese.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
did li ka shing formally educated? don't think he could speak a word in english or even mandarin but he's the richest man in s e asia.

all he speak is cantonese.

He can converse in mandarin and english.....probably employed tutor in later years.
I'm surprise his teochew is also very fluent.....more fluent than his cantonese infact.

One tycoon that speaks nothing but his own dialect was Ng Teng Fong.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
People nowadays dunno how to speak Malay also. Nobody should allowed to become a citizen if they cannot speak Malay!

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not off the cuff speech
Still better than Lightning
Competition in politics
Crucial for democracy
Good for the country!

[video=youtube;Ub0NYAacQ7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0NYAacQ7o[/video]

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the pap betray themselves by trying hard to speak dialects only during GE. after that's over, they begin to play highclass. the way some of those goons speak mandarin really confirm they are clowns.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the PAPzis committed linguist cleansing, they also killed our:
  • cuisine
  • culture
  • sense of rootedness
  • confidence.

Perhaps they did it on purpose, so that out of this vacuum, they wanted to mould a Singapore obedient to the PAPzi principles of serving the LEEgime.

[video=youtube;Y3TlkTsT0TA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TlkTsT0TA[/video]

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
what roots? aint u SINKIEs?
if u want to speak dialect, you can go back to ah tiong land/mudland/ ahneh land.

Didn't u realised that the English language was what bridged u and the world?
you guys should thank the PAP for making English the most used language in Singapore
otherwise you guys will still be trishaw pullers and "frog in the well"

Another great job by the PAP government. Well Done. :smile:

don't believe? try talking in hokkien, cantonese, teochew, hakka, hainanese or other minority dialects to the kids. any kids - young or old. i doubt even the young adults also know how to speack or even understand their own dialect roots.

this is sad. this is really very sad that under the pap, all our dialect roots are brutally being murdered.

how can a nation progress further if they have lost their roots?:kma: