• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Immigrant Children are exempted to study mother tongue. Is it true?

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear brothers and sisters,

I just came back from visiting my relatives and they told me about immigrant children in Primary schools.

We Indian, Malay and Chinese are required to study our mother tongue as it is compulsory. However, immigrant children from burman, philippines and Indonesia do not need to study mother tongue as we do not have pinoy and burmese syllabus.

So these immigrant children only study 1 language (English).

As Singapore PAP always says about meritocracy and everyone are equal. How about education policy? is it equal? why burman and pinoy only study 1 language while we Indian Malay and Chiense have to study 2 languages?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mother tongue compulsory?
No la back in my time got indian kid study chinese as 2nd language.
Anyway 'mother tongue' is a misnomer.... I studied chinese but that is not my mother tongue....it should be cabtonese

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think this is an old word.

Just like gay.
In the olden days, people said he is so gay and it means he is so happy.
if you say he is so gay now, people will think that he is just like baey yam keng.

Yup, Cathay was an old name for China, that we before it became, ROC, then split into ROC & PRC. My parents was born when it was known as Cathay, then when they were young ROC, & when they wanted to go back to their motherland..it was PRC..they never went home, they rested in SINGAPURA...

There was a time, you tell someone, you are feeling gay, they would be happy for you, but now you say that, the PAP supporters would be happy for you, for they say, you emulate...$2.50 Nasi Padang Baey...Bay tahan... ha ha ha

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, Cathay was an old name for China, that we before it became, ROC, then split into ROC & PRC. My parents was born when it was known as Cathay, then when they were young ROC, & when they wanted to go back to their motherland..it was PRC..they never went home, they rested in SINGAPURA...

There was a time, you tell someone, you are feeling gay, they would be happy for you, but now you say that, the PAP supporters would be happy for you, for they say, you emulate...$2.50 Nasi Padang Baey...Bay tahan... ha ha ha

ROC was known as Formosa la.
Cathay was what the Angmos called china