• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Greek debt crisis = a dilemma of moral proportions...:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Greek debt crisis= a dilemma of moral proportions...:
Greek PM Alexis Tsipras [dials emergency EU helpline]: 'my people are suffering, we need the funds and resources to jump start out economy. Papa EU, please also forgive our €315b debt'...
Papa EU (fronted by Merkel/ Germany): ' sorry to see U in so much pain, sorry for not warning U earlier not to borrow so much Euros (we too were having such a good time pre2008 selling U useless stuff then, remember), U have since already received €240b bailout package, but now I want the rest of my $$$ (/'one pound of flesh') back!' [slams down phone]...

Austerity medicine a bitter pill - Opinion Eye On The World ST Editorial - The Straits Times
The Straits Times, Published on Feb 02, 2015
EDITORIAL
Austerity medicine a bitter pill
Greeks who voted for Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras might see him as the deus ex machina - the one who can deliver them from an insoluble difficulty of their own creation. That would be not just a desperate hope, but also a deluded one. Mr Tsipras and his radical left associates lack both government experience and, more importantly, a trump card to swiftly extricate the nation from its debt mire. His vows to abandon strict austerity measures imposed by Greece's lenders and ease his people's suffering are seen as "promises he cannot keep and the country cannot afford" by hard-nosed Europeans like Bundesbank president Jens Weidmann.
Here's the rub: Reneging on the terms of the €240 billion bailout would mean instant bankruptcy. And dropping the euro for its own national currency would wipe out the savings of Greeks, as the new currency would sink like a stone.
The implied threat of a debtor nation to leave the euro zone is no longer petrifying. Financial firewalls are now in place to prevent debt contagion and fears have eased that Europe is unable to resolve its crisis. On the contrary, the self-interests of members will prevail ultimately and Europe will emerge "with stronger institutions and far better economic prospects for the future", as some analysts, like Peterson Institute for International Economics director C. Fred Bergsten, believe. In the meantime, the EU will be tested by populist dissent, as seen in Greece, when Portugal and Spain go to the polls later this year, with support for leftist anti-establishment movements running high.
It is clear to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Europe's de facto leader, that going soft on debtors would create a monstrous moral hazard. Yet, she must create enough wriggle room for leaders like Mr Tsipras to avoid "a mutually destructive clash" with creditors, as he puts it, while not "disappointing" his electorate. Dr Merkel should also show flexibility by revisiting the assumptions of the International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and European Commission when bailing out Greece. Paying down debt while tightening one's belt works only if there is recovery. In Greece, austerity led to a full-blown depression which, in turn, aggravated its debt woes. Unemployment is severe - almost 60 per cent among youth - and it might take a generation to resume normal levels of economic activity.
Mr Tsipras can help his own cause by showing respect for the rules of the game when negotiating the restructuring of debt. He should also demonstrate resolve in tackling the corruption, patronage, nepotism and waste that helped to rack up a mountain of debt over three decades. Greeks must be realistic about just how much of this debt creditors can bear to keep cancelling.
Copyright © 2015 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Austerity medicine a bitter pill - Opinion Eye On The World ST Editorial - The Straits Times

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Yanis Varoufakis[/h]This Australian-Greek economist is a very smart man who do not buy into the troika's solution of force feeding "opium" to the sick man to make him feel better.

I have a good laugh at BBC during this interview.

[video=youtube;BiIO4YciewU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIO4YciewU[/video]

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Greece proposes debt swap

Good morning, and welcome to our rolling coverage of the Greek debt negotiations, and other events across the world economy, finance and business.
There’s a sense of calm in the markets this morning after the new Greek government laid out its plan to renegotiate its some of its debt pile.
And it’s a more nuanced stance than some expected; Athens is asking for “menu of debt swaps” to give it time and space to recover. That includes:

1) Growth Bonds, which would be linked to Greece’s nominal economic growth. They would replace some of the debt held by European partners, who would only be paid if the Greek economy was growing.

2) Perpetual Bonds, to replace the debt currently held by the European Central Bank.
Finance minister Yanis Varoufakis, who outlined the plan to City investors yesterday, is dubbing the plan “smart debt engineering”.

It won’t actually involve a headline cut to Greece’s debt, simply lift some of the burden of repaying it.
Bloomberg TV, though, are calling it the Greek Retreat – as it’s not the debt forgiveness that some voters hoped to see.
If Athens got a deal, it would still commit to running a primary surplus and also implement some reforms.

Varoufakis told the Financial Times that he hopes Greece’s European partners will back the plan.
“I’ll say, ‘Help us to reform our country and give us some fiscal space to do this, otherwise we shall continue to suffocate and become a deformed rather than a reformed Greece’.”
But will they bite? European leaders still fear that offering Greece more help will spark a flurry of requests from other countries being dragged back by austerity. And the ECB may feel that this kind of debt swap would break its rules banning monetary financing of a member state.
But for now, investors are little more hopeful that the Greek drama won’t blow up into a major crisis.
I
an Williams of Peel Hunt explains:
There was encouragement late yesterday as the new finance minister seemed to climb down from initial demands for debt write-offs, proposing instead a bond swap arrangement; the details have yet to emerge.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Radio Australia : The plan to save Greece: Yanis Varoufakis

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...plan-to-save-greece3ayanis-varoufakis/6052454

I am not sure when EU began the moral hazards of feeding debts into the Greek and PIGS economies so that they can sell more and earn more profits.

Now the Greeks cannot repay the debts and EU are selling more debts to the Greeks to pay off their old debts. This cannot continue.

The Straits Times above is wrong.

For we are seeing the outcome of DEFLATION affecting Europe as a whole.

For those Australians who were around when John Howard was elected PM, Yanis Varoufakis left Australia because he disagreed with the PM direction of following the Greenspan experiment of assets bubble that resulted in the 2008 global financial meltdown.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
My reply to an Italian EU citizen:

AlpinLuke said:
Re thread (@PF): Greek debt crisis = a dilemma of moral proportions...:
The core of the problem is that it's not fair that a country joins a system [submitting pure lies to the controllers], the Eurozone, with a certain political majority and a certain attitude of the population and when things go wrong, that country leaves that system or respects no more its rules.

Greek left can say they are not guilty for the forgery of the Greek data before of entering Euro ... but there was a government with democratic legitimation in Greece, a wide part of the population had supported it.

Democracy is not a game you can leave if you begin to lose ...

Guess the current Greek leadership (Tsipras & co) would possibly seek to appropriation some blame on the EU for creating rules that were easily sidelined (by the prior Greek governments): that the Eurozone (€ currency union) was a hasty n flawed to begin with for placing exceeding trust in national accounts submitted (by an elder generation that the current cannot be fully responsible for).

Democracy is about collective participation towards finding effective solutions to problems and collective remedies where such plans have failed. Guess what Tsipras & co. will intend to (democratically) do is to spearhead conception of remedial solutions towards the large debt/ from a larger POV, the problem of serious inequalities existing between eurozone countries and within their populations themselves.

Democracy is the chance for individuals to let their virtues shine: in the case of Greek debt, I believe that it is chance for Greece to practise austerity and the rest of Eurozone to practise forgiveness...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For 6 years, the bankers have been squeezing the Greeks. 80 pecent of the loans from the ECB went to payments to the banks. The Greeks have been paying while he bankers have been getting a free lunch.
Greece should just renege on its loans and let the banks take a huge loss. That will send shock waves throughout the EU, especially the German economy. There is no reason why banks should not shoulder the blame for their poor lending; they knew the Greece was a basketcase and yet they were too happy to lend the Greeks as much as that country wanted. Now it is time for the bankers to pay the piper.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Central banks are the evil. They are created to fund wars! I just watched a BBC documentary on how to create war, and you need a central bank!!

Remember Swiss National Bank and what it did recently?

Remember the beggar thy neighbour central banks ?
The latest is MAS 3% devaluation of SGD

Other Currency manipulators
US Federal Reserve
Bank of Japan
Bank of England
European Central Bank
People's Bank of China - loosen banks reserve just 2 days ago
Reserve Babk of Australia - drop interest by 25 bp last Tues

It's a funny world how the biggest poverty makers out there are also your money regulators,

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My reply to an Italian EU citizen:

Democracy is about collective participation towards finding effective solutions to problems and collective remedies where such plans have failed. Guess what Tsipras & co. will intend to (democratically) do is to spearhead conception of remedial solutions towards the large debt/ from a larger POV, the problem of serious inequalities existing between eurozone countries and within their populations themselves.

Democracy is the chance for individuals to let their virtues shine: in the case of Greek debt, I believe that it is chance for Greece to practise austerity and the rest of Eurozone to practise forgiveness...

There are a lot of bullshot about democracy. I live in one long enough and I used to be a member of a political party in Australia.
I am delusional over the duopoly in many developed countries.
I think PAP do a much better jobs in getting things done.
Eg
In Australia, the political mileage of the Abbott govt is used up and no reform is carried out. He will need to resign soon.
In US, Pres Obama is a lame duck. Congress has no heartbeat.
So far, only Latvia is

Greece version of democracy is different from todays' flawed implementation.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are a lot of bullshot about democracy. I live in one long enough and I used to be a member of a political party in Australia.
I am delusional over the duopoly in many developed countries.
I think PAP do a much better jobs in getting things done.
Eg
In Australia, the political mileage of the Abbott govt is used up and no reform is carried out. He will need to resign soon.
In US, Pres Obama is a lame duck. Congress has no heartbeat.
So far, only Latvia is

Greece version of democracy is different from todays' flawed implementation.

You prefer the PAP style, yet you are in Australia? Come on back lah, PAP always has a spot for you. Can I inherit your Aussie spot?