• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singtel, Staarhub or M1: fibre broadband

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Due for renewal, adsl broadband seems to be not available anymore, currently with Singtel. Only fibre broadband, saw that M1 offer quite good value for money, the 200mbps. No gaming, just regular internet use, any comments with regard to Starhub or M1 services or reliability of their broadband. Saw on papers advert for My Republic 1gb services, anybody has ever tried it?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both M1 & My Republic offer 1GB connection for $49. You can read what others think of their service at fuckwarezone forums in their "The Next Generation Broadband Network (NGBN) Forum "
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/next-generation-broadband-network-ngbn-forum-320/

The more reliable connection is also the more expensive connection provided by Viewquest.

Also look under "Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic " in the same forum
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
way much better than comcast service in my area which peaks at only 50 mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream. and it's not even fiber. it's cable using docsis 3. 4g lte mobile service on my iphone 6 (due to added spectrum and newer lte features supported) from a different provider peaks at 100 mbps downstream and 50 mbps upstream. my mobile connection ($70) is way better than my home broadband connection ($75). :*:

sinkies should feel lucky to have multiple choices when it cums to fiber to the home, plus the low cost and extremely high speeds. pap is the best! :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...sinkies should feel lucky to have multiple choices when it cums to fiber to the home, plus the low cost and extremely high speeds. pap is the best! :biggrin:

There's plenty of hype going on by Spore ISPs about fiber speeds. The bottle neck is I think with the international connections. The problem becomes more obvious in the evenings when connection with international sites slow down.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's plenty of hype going on by Spore ISPs about fiber speeds. The bottle neck is I think with the international connections. The problem becomes more obvious in the evenings when connection with international sites slow down.

They all throttle bandwidth.

Also, who cares about Sinkie websites? Most of the content is located on overseas websites.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sammyboy.com is hosted in the u.s., and you can blame the u.s. isp's for the slowdown due to peak use and traffic spikes in the morning hours. don't blame the sinkie networks. :p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sammyboy.com is hosted in the u.s., and you can blame the u.s. isp's for the slowdown due to peak use and traffic spikes in the morning hours. don't blame the sinkie networks. :p

We shouldn't be surprised because we see problems with congestion on our roads & public transport. With the information highway the authorities failed to plan for an increase in demand. They are adding more users than the system can handle. That is probably why they are throttling users.

I remember when the G8 meeting was held in Spore. People's internet connection slowed down because priority was given to those involved with the summit.

osxcza

Alfrescian
Loyal
None of the three as they are all leeches. I tap from people living nearby whenever i come back to sg as a tourist.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We shouldn't be surprised because we see problems with congestion on our roads & public transport. With the information highway the authorities failed to plan for an increase in demand. They are adding more users than the system can handle. That is probably why they are throttling users.

I remember when the G8 meeting was held in Spore. People's internet connection slowed down because priority was given to those involved with the summit.

much of the world's over-the-top content and apps are based in u.s. sites. congestion happens during peak hours in the u.s. (morning in u.s., evening in sg) especially when wall street in nyc starts trading. you can't blame sinkie isp's as sinkie users are hooked on content and apps going back and forth with u.s.-based dns servers, web servers, media servers and app servers, and all these traffic are routed via limited routes and options in the trans-pacific submarine fiber network, which is beyond sg control. blame it on sinkies who are hooked on u.s. content and apps.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/top-us-websites-by-traffic/
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121563492172840249
http://www.statista.com/statistics/247597/global-traffic-to-leading-us-social-networking-sites/

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
much of the world's over-the-top content and apps are based in u.s. sites. congestion happens during peak hours in the u.s. (morning in u.s., evening in sg) especially when wall street in nyc starts trading. you can't blame sinkie isp's as sinkie users are hooked on content and apps going back and forth with u.s.-based dns servers, web servers, media servers and app servers, and all these traffic are routed via limited routes and options in the trans-pacific submarine fiber network, which is beyond sg control. blame it on sinkies who are hooked on u.s. content and apps. ......

It is an infrastucture problem. Why are they upgrading to fibre if they can't support the increase in traffic:confused: Spore ISPs are GLCs. The GLCs are known to be greedy when it comes to squeezing $$ out of consumers. We have seen so many cases in Spore of this e.g. price hikes in public transports, petrol remaining expensive, water & electricity rates,...

ST does own & control some of the submarine cables, or rather it is a pooled ownership. I found this out via google:
http://www.quora.com/Do-private-tel...s-that-connect-the-internet-across-continents

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is an infrastucture problem. Why are they upgrading to fibre if they can't support the increase in traffic:confused: Spore ISPs are GLCs. The GLCs are known to be greedy when it comes to squeezing $$ out of consumers. We have seen so many cases in Spore of this e.g. price hikes in public transports, petrol remaining expensive, water & electricity rates,...

ST does own & control some of the submarine cables, or rather it is a pooled ownership. I found this out via google:
http://www.quora.com/Do-private-tel...s-that-connect-the-internet-across-continents

sea me we submarine fiber goes to middle east and western europe. i'm not referring to that segment. i'm referring to the trans-pacific segment where access to u.s. content and apps is heaviest in terms of ott traffic. you are just splitting hairs. :rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the only direct sea to us submarine fiber segment is from davao in the philippines and manado indonesia to hermosa beach in california via guam and oahu.

http://submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/sea-us

sg telcos and isp's will need to rely on transit points in australia and japan to route sg to us traffic on segments owned by australia and us and japan and us partners, not exactly a low cost proposition. sinkies should be contented that within the sphere of sg's influence sinkies are able to get multiple choices of fiber providers to the home. in the u.s. most homes are still struggling with dsl over twisted pairs, and if we are lucky, coax cable to the home. fiber to the home is extremely costly to build and very sparse in terms of availability.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sea me we submarine fiber goes to middle east and western europe. i'm not referring to that segment. i'm referring to the trans-pacific segment where access to u.s. content and apps is heaviest in terms of ott traffic. you are just splitting hairs. :rolleyes:

When it comes to $$$ ST knows where it's interests lies. If they haven't invested in the trans pacific then obviously there isn't sufficient profit. In Spore if you are a large company like an MNC, they can rent a fast dedicated connection e.g. a T1, T2, T3.... line from a company like Singtel.

As end users we have to compete for the limited bandwidth that an ISP is willing to provide. We pay X$ for a limited bandwidth & not the promised high speed. What is worse is that the ISPs are increasing the numbers of subscribers at the expense of the limited bandwidth. So as they increase the number of subscribers they have to ration the bandwidth i.e. it's called throttling.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When it comes to $$$ ST knows where it's interests lies. If they haven't invested in the trans pacific then obviously there isn't sufficient profit. In Spore if you are a large company like an MNC, they can rent a fast dedicated connection e.g. a T1, T2, T3.... line from a company like Singtel.

As end users we have to compete for the limited bandwidth that an ISP is willing to provide. We pay X$ for a limited bandwidth & not the promised high speed. What is worse is that the ISPs are increasing the numbers of subscribers at the expense of the limited bandwidth. So as they increase the number of subscribers they have to ration the bandwidth i.e. it's called throttling.

which planet and what era do you come from? large companies in sg don't lease t1 nor ds3 anymore. they lease ethernet private line and gigabit access to tier 1 providers. all telcos and isp's in the world sign up as many customers as possible on limited bandwidth and network resources. that's called over-subscription, which is perfectly reasonable and a "best practice" among providers. throttling happens all the time when there's congestion, high volume p2p traffic, and what seems like traffic storms as networks have to protect themselves from ddos, syn attacks, and hacks. choke routers, firewalls and dmz's are in place in all isp networks for acl, rate limit and protection. i don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
everyone uses fibre now. the cable users said their internet speed and downloads are much faster now. :biggrin: