• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All is not well at sgh a&e

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ALL IS NOT WELL AT SGH A&E
Post date:
1 Feb 2015 - 8:19am

MY 81-YEAR-OLD mother had a fall on Jan 19 and I took her to a polyclinic, where an X-ray showed she had fractured her left hand.

The doctor referred us to the accident and emergency (A&E) department of Singapore General Hospital to get her hand set in a cast.

We arrived there at 1.35pm and waited for 5.5 hours before she was seen by a doctor. After the 15-minute consultation, we had to wait another 40 minutes before a nurse was available to assist the doctor to place my mum's hand in a cast.

During the time we were at the hospital, I noticed many other elderly people waiting for hours to see the doctor. They did not dare to leave the area in case their numbers were called, and the staff had no idea when they would be seen.

The experience raised several questions and observations.

First, why was my mum referred to the A&E when she was a non-critical case? I am quite certain she would have been seen earlier if she had been referred to a different department.

Second, there were not enough chairs or wheelchairs in the A&E waiting area. My mum had to remain standing after her X-ray and also to collect her medicine.

Third, the staff should be more helpful and sympathetic to the waiting patients, especially the elderly. Perhaps hot drinks like Milo could have been provided, especially if patients have waited for hours.

Lastly, since it is known that the wait at the A&E can be long, why hasn't anything been done about it? Although there are 10 consultation rooms, only five were used. Is there a critical shortage of doctors?

60%: Stare at me for fxxx? Got coolie rice to eat ah? *chey*

Something is seriously wrong if we have such an inefficient A&E system in a country known for its efficiency. I hope the Health Ministry will look into this.
Jill Hum (Ms)
*Letter first appeared on ST Forums (31 Jan)

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
something wrong here. even in third world malaysia, they give priority to elderlies for gomen services and queues. In fact, elderlies no need to queue. they just proceed to the front.

carrierman

Alfrescian
Loyal
something wrong here. even in third world malaysia, they give priority to elderlies for gomen services and queues. In fact, elderlies no need to queue. they just proceed to the front.

Maybe they think if the elderly have to wait long time then they may just die of old age waiting to be seen by the doctors.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ms Hum

Who did your mom and the elderly in A&E voted for?

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
40% kpkb about FT. Now difficult to fill the shortages of doctors and nurses. Go blame this on the oppo supporters.

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like most A & E dept at local hospitals, we have to wait for so long because there are many people with non critical illness or injuries waiting in line...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I say we go for importing more talented doctors from India and the Philippines. Come come we need you!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If all is not well at SGH, why is the image of Changi General Hospital?

It's a stock photo, just like this picture used for a news about a molest case.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/man-36-arrested-allegedly-molesting-female-19

molest_1.jpg

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my mom waited for 12 hours before kena admitted ah..................no joke.........sent to Changi hospital also......in an ambulance some more.........

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my mom waited for 12 hours before kena admitted ah..................no joke.........sent to Changi hospital also......in an ambulance some more.........

I've said before: if your loved one is ferried to CGH or NUH while in a critical condition, have the phone number of your preferred funeral service provider on standby.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's a stock photo, just like this picture used for a news about a molest case.

Are there no stock photos of SGH? Using the wrong photo can cause irreparable damage to the reputation of an entity that had absolutely nothing to do with the report.

Imagine the outrage if a report about CSJ used a stock photo of LKY! The whole of Singapore would be baying for blood.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've said before: if your loved one is ferried to CGH or NUH while in a critical condition, have the phone number of your preferred funeral service provider on standby.
Another alternative is to have the phone number of your property agent on standby. Sell you house and go mount E. Sadly your property is not worth as much as it used to be due to 40% kpkb on the high property prices. Therefore as a whole we are now poorer.

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
No waiting time at Alexandra Hospital!! Quick go before it is too late and crowded with people!

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
First, why was my mum referred to the A&E when she was a non-critical case? I am quite certain she would have been seen earlier if she had been referred to a different department

there no a different dept. doctors at all other different dept are alredi fully booked.
they will refer patient to these different dept onli if it is life threatening case.
they can send you to the triage , but then the nurse there cannot do anything.
need docter to examine fracture before bandage.

Second, there were not enough chairs or wheelchairs in the A&E waiting area. My mum had to remain standing after her X-ray and also to collect her medicine.
since this cuntry run like a company , cost have to keep to bare minimum.
provide more chairs or wheelers will drive up cost.
same go for providing milo and hot drink.