• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sound, Vibration, Disturbance Proof Rooms

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does anybody knows what is involved in:

a) renovating a room so that it is sound and disturbance proof;

b) cost involved and whether local contractors in Sinkieland and surrounding Southeast Asian countries have the required expertise and if so which are the ones;

c) whether it is viable for apartments and/or terrace and semi-detached houses as opposed to detached landed properties;

d) doable or not with windows (say double or triple or quadruple glazed); and

e) any other useful pointers.

I wouldn't be asking these questions if I can afford a private island, but the latter comes with its own set of problems. :biggrin:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have to say what kind of disturbance, be it fucking disturbance or bombing disturbance

Basically anything that will disturb my line of thinking or cause me to be irritated. I need to be an emotionless robot to make buy and sell decisions if you know what I mean. I am always there and my instinct seems to be usually right but construction noise, neighbour noise, idiot ah pek cough and sneeze like thunder, a thousand and one things always crop up. The only time I recall being insanely jealous is when my high school classmate showed me the sound proof room in his house but it is not adequate as there are no windows so no natural light. :biggrin:

crossroads

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Basically anything that will disturb my line of thinking or cause me to be irritated. I need to be an emotionless robot to make buy and sell decisions if you know what I mean. I am always there and my instinct seems to be usually right but construction noise, neighbour noise, idiot ah pek cough and sneeze like thunder, a thousand and one things always crop up. The only time I recall being insanely jealous is when my high school classmate showed me the sound proof room in his house but it is not adequate as there are no windows so no natural light. :biggrin:

Double glazed fersina windows are very helpful but they are damned snobbish. You can try Sapphire though as their product is just as good.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Disturbance from outside!

Easy lah, pack your 4 walls with woodwool panels, change windows use double glazing, get sound proof door they use in sound lab, thicken the floor either bitumen base floorsheet or concrete slab or thick carpet,

That will do some trick

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

b) cost involved and whether local contractors in Sinkieland and surrounding Southeast Asian countries have the required expertise and if so which are the ones;

c) whether it is viable for apartments and/or terrace and semi-detached houses as opposed to detached landed properties;

I wouldn't be asking these questions if I can afford a private island, but the latter comes with its own set of problems. :biggrin:

what you are asking for is impossible. If you have an existing room and you are trying to retrofit it to be completely sound proof, its almost impossible. Some sound will always come in. A purpose build room like a sound studio or a recording studio can be made sound proof but its very hard if you are converting a room in your semi D or bungalow to one. A soundproof room is essentially custom made.

Its better to ask yourself what noise level you can live with. For most residences, 35 Decibels is already pretty quiet. U sound like you need a lot less then that, maybe 20 or 15 decibels. You can determine what you can live with and then work towards that decibel goal. DOn't say zero decibel, that is not a realistic goal. Instead approach your objective in a systematic logical and science based process, and do it in increments from cheapest to more expensive.

First off the bat if you have windows and you want windows, you will have noise. No matter how expensive the glass, whether its tripled paned plasma filled etc, noise will still come in. I speak from experience because i own one property next to the MRT LRT line. U can get the best glass and the weakness in terms of noise egress is always the window. Maybe the type of curtain or blinds can help a little, but the weakness will always be the windows. Next, what type of walls do you have in your house? Brick? Prefab concrete? U have to do something inside the room. The noise will usually come from the exterior facing walls of the room, not so much from the interior walls. Unless u have kids in the house that are really loud. It can be as simple as putting up your bookshelves against the exterior walls, and make the sound travel through the wall and also the books to get in the room. You can also put carpeting in the floor, it will absorb some sound too. These are the 2 cheapest ways. Once you try these methods you can access again whether its quiet enough for you. If not, then you move to more expensive things.

You can build a sub wall, which is another wall on the other side of the exterior wall. usually, this sub wall is made of plywood and framed with 4 by 2s and the space in between is filled with sound absorbing material. The sound will have to penetrate the plywood, the sound absorbing material and then another player of plywood to get into the room. U can use MDF board instead of plywood too. Otherwise, you can find out where the recording studios get their acoustic wedge panels and install it all around your interior walls. But they look ugly and they eat into the room capacity. There are also sound absorbing wall panels that you can buy and install them on the inside of the walls, but these panels are really hit and miss. The best place I have seen to get all of this is actually at the Canton Fair in Guangzhou. One of the fair weeks is on construction materials and they have firms there that sell sound absorbing stuff. I don't use it at all, because it seems in Singapore, the houses and flats are so small that its not really feasible to devote one entire room to soundproofing.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe those materials they use for the walls of a live firing range.

29482081e.jpg

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Maybe those materials they use for the walls of a live firing range.

It does not work. U can always hear the gunshots from outside the building in any firing range. Gunshots are in the 140-190 decibels, that is way overkill for what he wants.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Have you tried sound cancelling headphones?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have you tried sound cancelling headphones?

Yes I have. In fact, what I do is put on army style foam ear plugs (I am aware that there are custom made ones - any comments on those), wear the headphones and on soothing classical music. Then when I hear the noises that irritate me, I on the sound cancelling function. It is a great improvement from just ear plugs, but some noises still get through and can be quite persistent. The short bursts of sound that go away quickly are fine except sneezers that do it like thunder and in a series those can get me fuming for at least 15 minutes. Also it's quite uncomfortable when done for long periods. I can do without the windows.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is probably easier to move to somewhere quieter. If you cannot find a place in Spore consider moving to JB because it is less crowded & less noisier than Spore.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not work. U can always hear the gunshots from outside the building in any firing range. Gunshots are in the 140-190 decibels, that is way overkill for what he wants.

that is merely designed to prevent external wind from affecting shooting. not more.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

what you need is a Semi-anechoic chambers. if vibration is also involved, you need a floating floor, sound absorbent wedges