• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Problem getting an Apple iPhone?

VPutin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Apple’s quarterly profit hits record US$18 billion on ‘staggering’ iPhone sales

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 28 January, 2015, 7:03pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 28 January, 2015, 8:04pm

Agence France-Presse in San Francisco

tpbje20150124149_47918785.jpg

Customers shop in a newly opened Apple Store in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province. Photo: Xinhua

Apple’s quarterly profit rocketed to a corporate record US$18 billion at the end of last year on booming sales of big-screen iPhone models, especially in China.

The California tech titan also announced on Wednesday that it had sold its one billionth device powered by its iOS mobile operating system, on a day of dizzying figures – even by Apple’s high standards.

[video=youtube;V1C9ONd6EYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1C9ONd6EYI[/video]

And it said that its highly anticipated Apple Watch wearable devices, unveiled last year to fanfare, are on track to begin shipping in April.

“We’d like to thank our customers for an incredible quarter which saw demand for Apple products soar to an all-time high,” declared chief executive Tim Cook.

“Demand for iPhone has been staggering, shattering our expectation.”

Blockbuster sales of the recently released iPhone 6, in particular, are signs of huge pent-up demand for larger-screen smartphones, likely to boost sales throughout this year, according to Forrester analyst Frank Gillett.

“I would expect the surge in China and elsewhere to hold for quite a while before it settles down,” Gillett said.

“People have been waiting for an iPhone with a bigger screen and smartphones are only increasing in importance in our lives.”

The record quarterly profit – on unprecedented revenue of US$74.6 billion – was driven by the sale of 74.5 million iPhones, well ahead of most analysts’ expectations.

The staggering profit topped the US$15.9 billion made by ExxonMobil in the second quarter of 2012, according to Standard and Poor’s, to write Apple into the history books.

As well as the larger screen iPhone 6 models, analysts credited a partnership with China Mobile as powering sales.

Sales of iPhones doubled in Greater China, its number two smartphone market, according to chief financial officer Luca Maestri.

Cook described the fevered excitement around the debut of iPhone 6 models in China as “phenomenal.”

“We are a big believer in China,” Cook said. “It is an incredible market. I think people there love Apple products.”

But it was not just China: iPhone sales leapt 44 per cent in the United States and doubled in Brazil.

Sales of iPads dipped, but Apple set new records in the quarter for sales of Macintosh computers and revenue from digital goods bought from its App Store.

Cook remained optimistic about the long-term potential for Apple’s iPad line.

He noted that the ranks of first-time iPad buyers remain strong in China, Britain, the US and elsewhere and that the devices account for the bulk of online activity and shopping seen from tablets.

“I believe that, over the arc of time, the iPad is a great business,” Cook said. “I am thinking over the long run.”

Apple and others are still trying to tune into the rhythm of the market when it comes to how long people typically own tablets before replacing them.

Cook also noted that large-screen iPhones might be nibbling at one edge of iPad sales and Macintosh computers at another edge.

He was confident that an alliance between Apple and IBM announced last year will lead to iPads becoming more enticing for workplaces.

Cook also said Apple is seeing rapid adoption of the Apple Pay mobile financial transactions system, which is synched to the latest generation of iPhone.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As an investor who owns AAPL I've been reading about the financial performance of the company and Apple may eventually become the 1st Trillion dollar company:eek:

JahLion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow 200 to 10 points is quite an achievement, what happened?

nutting nuh guh suh nuthing a gwan just dat weh mi register mi nick di bloodclaat eediot sam leong didn't implement the 200 point rep system yu zi mi? dats why mi start out with the original points a new nick get yu zi mi?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would only be interested in a Herman Miller chair & not their desks. They are comfortable & backed up with a long warranty. If you want a nice desk take a look at the anthrocart system
http://www.anthro.com/families/anthrocart

They are very long lasting & you can adjust the height of the tables in 1 inch increments.

Thank you.

Right now I am more interested in sound, vibration and disturbance proof rooms.

My performance in area of priority for me right now would be enhanced greatly if I can take a 3 times 7 equals 21 (say it very fast in Cantonese) attitude to what is happening in the outside world for say about 6 hours. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now in flight to Shanghai, cattle class, my left my right my sideway front and back that I can see all iPhone 6 and +

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an investor who owns AAPL I've been reading about the financial performance of the company and Apple may eventually become the 1st Trillion dollar company:eek:

This is as nearly absurd as the Sam's friends and associates who laughed that Apple was a dying company in 1996.:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is as nearly absurd as the Sam's friends and associates who laughed that Apple was a dying company in 1996.:biggrin:

I actually bought some Apple share back when they were only US14.00 in the 1990's. I still own them:biggrin: Biggest regret is that I did not buy more:o

So imagine the shares going from $14 to the current price of $118+. Of course you have to factor the number of share splits that Apple has carried out. I think it was 3:confused:. I think there were twice that the shares were doubled & the last share split was by 7 when the shares were in the $700s. It is the best performing share in my portfolio:smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to Shanghai Apple Store, really big. Anyway all iPhone 6 models are available for sale any colour any memory size, tiongs are more fortunate than us. Only thing is prices here damn expensive, about 15% more than Singapore.

SunShangXiang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Went to Shanghai Apple Store, really big. Anyway all iPhone 6 models are available for sale any colour any memory size, tiongs are more fortunate than us. Only thing is prices here damn expensive, about 15% more than Singapore.

thanks for the pics.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I think these iPhones are a big waste of money. I've had an iPhone for 2 years and I find it no more useful than my good old Motorola RAZR.

The camera is crap, the apps are gimmicks and most of the stuff in iOS is pretty useless.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

TrueColors

Alfrescian
Loyal

iPhone 6 sales in China drive Apple's record-breaking performance

Staff Reporter
2015-01-31

CA17N0020H_2014%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7%89%87_N71_copy1.JPG

Customers line up to buy iPhones at a store in Kunming, Yunnan province, Oct. 17, 2014, when Apple launched sales of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in China. (Photo/CNS)

High demand for the iPhone 6 in China was the main driver behind Apple's record-breaking performance in final quarter of last year, according to Sina's tech news web portal.

Revenues for the American technology giant in the period grew by 30% to reach US$74.6 billion, while net profit surged by 38% to reach US$18 billion.

Apple's revenues in the Chinese market saw a tremendous 70% growth, outpacing all other regional markets across the globe.

The recent developments proved that Apple's CEO was not being glib when he said he foresaw China becoming the company's largest market.

The report, however, said that only the iPhone has maintained strong growth during the post-Steve Jobs era, while the iPod and iPad have waned in popularity.

The report said that Apple's stellar handset sales are not the result of innovation but a reflection of the global market's long pent-up demand for a larger screened iPhone.

The report also said that despite the early start in adopting large screens, the sales performance of Android handset manufacturers were sidelined as Apple took a lion's share of the global smartphone market following the launch of the iPhone 6.

Following the downfall of past leaders, such as Motorola and Nokia, the smartphone market has been segmented into the very high-end, dominated by Apple, and the low to medium-tier market, ruled by Chinese companies such as Xiaomi, Huawei and ZTE.

The report also said that the smartphone sector has been mired in cutthroat competition for better hardware specifications at lower price ranges since the rise of the Chinese brands.

Samsung's lead in the high-end market has consequently been waning as cheaper and equally attractive Chinese smartphones become more popular, as seen in the declining sales performance of the South Korean handset maker's Galaxy S5 last year.

Xiaomi sold 61 million handsets last year, while Huawei sold 75 million and Lenovo sold 60 million–a performance rivaling Apple's stellar results.

The report forecast that the future global smartphone market will be ruled by Apple for high-end products and the Chinese brands at the medium and lower ends of the spectrum.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

High demand for the iPhone 6 in China was the main driver behind Apple's record-breaking performance in final quarter of last year, according to Sina's tech news web portal.

Stupid chinks being taken for a ride by Ang Mohs again. History has a habit of repeating itself.