• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Csj at fca: Leaders must inspire, not intimidate

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]CHEE AT FCA: LEADERS MUST INSPIRE, NOT INTIMIDATE[/h]
Post date:
27 Jan 2015 - 10:26am

Dr Chee Soon Juan talked about the kind of leadership Singapore needs at the Foreign Correspondents Association (FCA) lunch which took place at the Pan Pacific Hotel yesterday. Below are excerpts:

Mr Lee Hsien Loong is in the unique position which few politicians are: As prime minister he inherited a political system that is neither open nor democratic – one, I might add, that is faltering, but he also possesses the power to change it. Depending on what he does, the future of Singapore could grow even stronger or it could meet a dismal fate.

So far, I see little to be of good cheer. Mr Lee continues to prosecute legitimate political activity, sues his critics for defamation, even adds teeth to legislation to further deprive citizens of their constitutional rights – all remnant tactics of his father's reign.

It seems that there is a genuine lack of appreciation for the real concerns and aspirations of the Singaporean people who are done with being talked down to in a system that is far from transparent and accountable.

Times have changed, society has changed. Leadership must also change, we need to motivate, not instil even more conformity. We need to create a climate of freedom – the freedom to think different (to borrow the phrase from Apple), to question, to debate, to dissent.

In other words, we need to reform the way we conduct politics in this country. The political culture of fear and domination must give way to one of inspiration and inclusiveness.
This is why the SDP has put in so much effort to draw up our policies. We want to elevate the level of political engagement in Singapore. We must dispense with the politics of name-calling and character assassination and contest each other on the logic, soundness and power of our ideas.

If you say that I have flaws, you will not find me objecting to it. But you need to take a number and stand in line because there's a long queue eagerly waiting to point out my flaws. But do you know who is the first in line? Me. I believe that it is people who are blind to their flaws who make the worst leaders.

But labelling me as a cheat, liar, psychopath – engaging in the personal destruction of your opponents - is not going to take Singapore very far. Singaporeans expect its political leaders to be mature and to debate the issues.

I'm not going to paint the PAP as all bad and the opposition as all good. It might sound a bit strange coming from me, so hold on to your seats: There are some PAP MPs who genuinely want to serve the people.

But, likewise, I want the PAP to admit that those in the opposition also care for Singapore and want the best for it.

We are poised to write a new chapter for Singapore. Let us show the world that politics need not be dominated by petty backbiting and name-calling, it scares away good people who want to contribute and it turns off the masses.Instead, let us remain civil even as we disagree with each other and recognise that at the end of the day we are all Singaporeans who want to do good for our country. In so doing we truly engage the people and take the country to a different and better place.

If you start from this premise the future will write itself and, of this I am certain, it will be good story.

Source: YourSDP.Org

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
our PM LHL also talked sense what

like why he always wear pink shirt

That cockfuck pinkie talk sense???

if he talk sense and think sense, he will not use his position to sue his citizen who he get the tax from for his salary.. what kind of PM is that??? and he also cause people to lose their jobs just by saying something truthful about him.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best quotes for today!

Come to West Coast CSJ! I bloody hell Vote For YOU!

You'd do well to learn from CSJ, sochi2014.

He's a Christian, but he never, ever brings religion into his speeches or conversations. And he doesn't go around putting other religions down and trying to convert people to Christianity. But his personal values stem from the true teachings of Christ: love for the downtrodden, compassion for the poor, abhorrence of tyranny. Christ would compare the PAP today with the scribes and Pharisees of old.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
if pinkie wants advise.. i have 1 statement for him.

learn to manage and not masterbate.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
69wCILs.jpg

Do you feel inspired? :p Or intimidated? :eek:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'd do well to learn from CSJ, sochi2014.

He's a Christian, but he never, ever brings religion into his speeches or conversations. And he doesn't go around putting other religions down and trying to convert people to Christianity. But his personal values stem from the true teachings of Christ: love for the downtrodden, compassion for the poor, abhorrence of tyranny. Christ would compare the PAP today with the scribes and Pharisees of old.

JBJ too. You really need strong faith to take all that, carry on, and not become bitter. CSJ's responses show class and statesmanship in contrast with the sour and vicious attacks from the MIW. Who's the mad dog now ?

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am sorry.. I have to correct you. PM LHL ALSO TALKED CENTS WHAT..

The world just cannot believe we have a government that bully and strangle its people.

If world oil prices drop by more than 50% they still have the audacity to raise transport fares by 2.8%.
Of course, we have a controlled media that paints and offers all their legitimate explanations for this increase.

This record will be cast in stone and remember in eternity how a greedy , uncaring and the character of the leader Singapore has.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Most sinkies want ideas that can work, not just talk cock sing song, which most of us associate SDP with. They don't even have a functioning grassroots committee. Like that, how to connect with the voters? Most voters view the SDP as grossly detached from the ground, more so than the average PAP scholar candidate.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most sinkies want ideas that can work, not just talk cock sing song, which most of us associate SDP with. They don't even have a functioning grassroots committee. Like that, how to connect with the voters? Most voters view the SDP as grossly detached from the ground, more so than the average PAP scholar candidate.

At least the SDP advocates policies that benefit the masses, especially the poor and underprivileged. PAP scholars advocate policies that benefit the elite and their cronies.

I'd still vote for the former any day.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

NO ! He talked rubbish ! Do you know the trouble he got me when I ask for "Mee Siam Mai Hum" at the Malay stall in Bedok market. They nearly lynched me. Idiot !

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why does CSJ want to do politics the PAP way? The Opposition needs to learn from the US Republicans. Attack ads work, even with sinkees. Most voters do not pay attention to issues and details ...they need a one-liner to spur them to vote for you. And attack ads serve that purpose.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why does CSJ want to do politics the PAP way? The Opposition needs to learn from the US Republicans. Attack ads work, even with sinkees. Most voters do not pay attention to issues and details ...they need a one-liner to spur them to vote for you. And attack ads serve that purpose.

Not sure if attack ads work. Singaporeans, unlike Americans, detest confrontational politics, no thanks to 5 decades of PAP conditioning that adversarial = non-constructive.

Having said that, detailed policies and social programs tend to fly over the heads of most heartland folk save for the more educated and Net-savvy ones. That's why it's still down to the WP way — work the ground, meet the people, establish a rapport with them, and try to assist them in whatever way possible as an opposition candidate (or MP if already elected).