• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hong Kong estate agent refuses flat viewing as client was Indian

BalanceOfPower

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hong Kong estate agent refuses flat viewing as client was Indian

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 18 January, 2015, 4:18am
UPDATED : Sunday, 18 January, 2015, 8:44am

Danny Lee and Elizabeth Cheung

scmp_30oct08_ns_property3_cimg4017_6127139.jpg

Centaline says they do not encourage agents to turn down tenants on grounds of race as it is discrimination.

In an apparently blatant example of illegal racial discrimination in the city, an estate agent has told a client he was unable to view a flat because he is Indian.

Simran Singh Sethi, 30, who works for a major US-listed technology company in Cyberport, was interested in renting a sea-view apartment in Kennedy Town's The Sail at Victoria, describing it as "a perfect [and] really beautiful apartment".

However, in a text from a Centaline property agent named only as Yvonne, Singh, who is happy to pay about HK$22,000 a month in rent, was told the landlord refused to rent to an Indian.

"I've travelled all around the world and never in my life have I been subjected to profiling or racism ever," said Singh, describing his surprise that he could experience racism in 2015.

He said Yvonne had not even met him.

"When somebody hasn't met you, somebody hasn't asked you questions, doesn't know anything about you, just for someone to label you - you then miss out on an opportunity just because you're a certain nationality," he said.

The estate agent told the Sunday Morning Post that she assumed he was Indian because he had been referred to her by another client who is also Indian.

Singh, who has lived in serviced apartments since arriving from New Delhi more than a year ago, confronted Yvonne by text once she said he had been turned down as a potential tenant because of his race. He said she tried to backtrack and suggest it was "a misunderstanding".

The texts, which have been seen by the Post and are reprinted below, tell a different story.

2664111cb52a70728644cadf0d4dd3bf.jpg

Louis Chan Wing-kit, managing director for residential sales at Centaline, said landlords who refused to rent to people because of their race were breaking the law and the company would not deal with anyone who held these "unacceptable" prejudices.

"It is illegal. Our company does not encourage colleagues to [turn down tenants on grounds of race] as it is discrimination."

Chan added: "The employee's training covers discrimination regulation and fair transaction. Our colleagues should be aware of that."

A spokeswoman said the company's legal team was examining the case.

Singh, who is still hunting for an apartment, has yet to decide whether to lodge a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission.

The Post had no success in contacting the landlord.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From the text messages, it is clear that the issue is with the landlord(s), not the agent. So why is the Indian chap suing the agent instead of the landlord? We should also ask the Indian expat how many locals had he fired, in order to bring in his own countrymen?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat is the real way to deal with rubbish foreigners. Gahmen can let them in. But if singkies dont hire them n dont give them jobs they will b forced out.

Brahmadachod

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I've travelled all around the world and never in my life have I been subjected to profiling or racism ever," said Singh, describing his surprise that he could experience racism in 2015.

Think we all three year old kid? Fucking typical Indian lying through his teeth. Every Indian grew up an expert in racism and discrimination among themselves in their caste based indian culture and society.

Besides, every landlord has the right to choose their tenant, whether female/male, single/family and race. Property agents all over the world knows once a house is rented to an indian, the property resale value drops and the only tenants u can subsequently rent to are also indians because no other race will want to buy or rent a place stayed before by indians unless they willing to folk out extra money to sanitize the whole house.

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This proves that Chinks are the most racist of all as they openly discriminate people of other races except the Ang Mohs by telling them straight that they can't rent the unit because of their race.

You see, the landlord didn't even bother to tell the agent to tell any potential non-Chink or non-Ang Moh tenants that the unit is already taken so as not to offend them. Chinks certainly are not civilized to know the art of euphemism.

Now you know why No Dogs and Chinese Allowed in Huangpu Park in Shanghai.

Chinks only have themselves to blame for being discriminated by other races!

Ang Mohs are the best!

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
hongky tonks frighten their sisters, wives, mothers and daughters will be sexually attracted to the indians. This is not an issue in sinkiland where locals are encouraged to allow their sisters, wives, mothers and daughters to screw the indians.

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo banglas tan lee lau bu ho yi pu leh

hongky tonks frighten their sisters, wives, mothers and daughters will be sexually attracted to the indians. This is not an issue in sinkiland where locals are encouraged to allow their sisters, wives, mothers and daughters to screw the indians.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I pity Simran Singh who had made a big mistake in relocating to Hong Kong. He should have chosen Singapore, Singapore welcome the likes of him with open legs.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see it as discrimination. I think it is just business. The landlord made a decision based on experience. If this guy sues the agent pretty soon very few agents will handle Indians.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I pity Simran Singh who had made a big mistake in relocating to Hong Kong. He should have chosen Singapore, Singapore welcome the likes of him with open legs.

Not really...lots of my friends refuse to rent to ah nehs too...if really no choice, they will want only northern nehs...

somehow...southern nehs always kena discriminated...hahaha :biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Indian nationals are well known for their lack of social responsibility. Many landlords I know report of homes that are severely damaged after renting to Indian nationals. And as usual, the Indian nationals will insist they did not damage the place, even though they are the sole occupants and the house was handed over to them in good condition.

If you rent to Malaysians or PRCs, there is a very high chance that they will partition the home and sublet it to physical maximum capacity. It had happened so many times that we stop keeping count.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is what happens when you have xenophobic sinkies who dislike indians. They relocate to a dirty chink city like Hong Kong, losing out on as much as HKD 22,000 per Indian turned away. Fortunately with the CECA, all this is going to change. Come HUAT with me. Property HUAT AH!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what's wrong with that for not renting to an indian...? i am the owner, i have the right, it's not as if the indian has a share in the home to rent.:rolleyes:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Private matter between landlord and tenant
This sort of discrimination should be allowed
I took liberal stand and allowed viewings
From all races including Indians at first

One did not want to remove her shoes
Promptly I made motion of shutting door
View and say this no good that whatever
Another wasn't present at appointed time

Finally I put my foot down and wrote
To all agents on case no Indians allowed
After my first question when agent calls
What is race of viewer no Indians please

Thereafter transaction proceeded like magic
Agent got better price than market
Discrimination for protection of your sanity
Is good and should be praised

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The landlord probably has had bad experience with renting to indians:biggrin:

While living in Toronto I came across landlords who didn't want to rent out to students because they have had negative experiences.

After hearing all the problems with Indians neighbors I would also be reluctant to rent a place with an Indian next door because I don't like curry:biggrin:

War Criminal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The real reason as many people in the real estate industry know is not racism. It's because Indian tenants tend to cook curry in their house. A lot.

And after you cook curry day in day out for breakfast lunch dinner for months or years, the smell will be permanently affixed on the house walls, ceiling. It is very strong and will be almost impossible to remove.

So unless you want your house to smell like curry forever, you do not rent out to an Indian for long term lease.