• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Windows vs apple

are you using mac or windows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I use Mac OS when I am ordering things from the internet.

I use Windows for less secure activities like surfing, reading email, bit torrenting, watching XBMC content,....

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why do you do that, do you keep a list of passwords in your mac?

I use Mac OS when I am ordering things from the internet.

I use Windows for less secure activities like surfing, reading email, bit torrenting, watching XBMC content,....

yourlaubu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Windows for me.

i using this..abit ma huan must change the ribbon every 3 weeks, other than that its ok

antique-typewriters-as-computer-keyboards-1.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What is the purpose or objective of this survey? What will you be using the data for?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why do you do that, do you keep a list of passwords in your mac?

I thought that everyone knew that Windows is not a secure platform? I also make sure that I have an anti-virus SW installed on my Windows PC In the past I had problems with adware & may even be be infected with bots:confused: I don't know & that is why I comparmentalise my activities to separate machines.

Used to have another spare PC to do all my sensitive tasks but the PC broke & since I already have a Mac portable, I decided to use it for sensitive tasks. Have so many password that I have to keep a notepad to manually record them down. A manual record is a must because you never know when you might have a hard disk crash.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think that you are over-reacting...having few computers for different tasks is a chore.

I thought that everyone knew that Windows is not a secure platform? I also make sure that I have an anti-virus SW installed on my Windows PC In the past I had problems with adware & may even be be infected with bots:confused: I don't know & that is why I comparmentalise my activities to separate machines.

Used to have another spare PC to do all my sensitive tasks but the PC broke & since I already have a Mac portable, I decided to use it for sensitive tasks. Have so many password that I have to keep a notepad to manually record them down. A manual record is a must because you never know when you might have a hard disk crash.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think that you are over-reacting...having few computers for different tasks is a chore.

I have always had a Mac & a PC. Keeping different computers for different task is actually the lazy way to maintain security. With so many threats out there it is impossible to keep up.

I build my own PCs & recycle the parts when a PC breaks down, so cost wise it's not too expensive since I can re-use the case. power supply, HDDs, monitors, keyboards,... For the Mac laptops they are a good investment because they last for years & years. I had one that lasted 6+ years.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have used mac many years ago, i dun quite like it unless they made some changes in the interface which i am not aware of.

Heard that Windows 8 is strange. So before you decide to buy another another PC better try it out .

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for security, i think this list is good enough for audit http://www.infoworld.com/article/2623792/endpoint-protection/your-handy-pc-security-checklist.html

i also used to buy parts from sim lim square then, but now PCs are cheap and dun need for self assembly, comes with warranty and you are paying to save the hassle.

I have always had a Mac & a PC. Keeping different computers for different task is actually the lazy way to maintain security. With so many threats out there it is impossible to keep up.

I build my own PCs & recycle the parts when a PC breaks down, so cost wise it's not too expensive since I can re-use the case. power supply, HDDs, monitors, keyboards,... For the Mac laptops they are a good investment because they last for years & years. I had one that lasted 6+ years.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for security, i think this list is good enough for audit http://www.infoworld.com/article/2623792/endpoint-protection/your-handy-pc-security-checklist.html

i also used to buy parts from sim lim square then, but now PCs are cheap and dun need for self assembly, comes with warranty and you are paying to save the hassle.

I would still prefer to build my own because there's the flexibility of knowing what is going into a DIY unit. I am willing to spend more on higher spec parts because I see it as an investment in longevity. My 4 year i7 PC is still running great. The only thing I've done is install an SSD drive & recently installed a 4 TB HDD.

I used to travel with a Macbook Pro & I have no complaints except for it's weight. I travel with a backpack so it's a pain if you have too many things. That is why I recommend the Macbook Air. It's light & has a keyboard. Currently when I travel I just use an iPad. I do miss the keypad but I can live without it on trips. I have used Windows 7, Mac OS 10+, & IOS, so the UI is not a problem, for me it's the weight of the machine.

I have heard from others that if you get a Windows lap top they usually put in plenty of unnecessary bloat ware onto the disk. So caveat emptor

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use only Windows PC. Always go to Sim Lim Square, and pick one configuration and ask them to assemble for me. I will always install the O/S and other software at home.

Many years ago, I did assemble a PC on my own. Took me 1.5 days to get it done. Too much trouble.

Most of my PCs will last about 6 years. Touch wood, I never have a PC breakdown. I do some intermittent upgrades like installing more RAM, SSD or HDD in between buying a new PC. Most of my PCs cost about $800.

I think Windows 8 is a matter of getting used to it. BTW, Windows PC definitely needs to have security software installed, given the numerous virus on the internet. I have been used NIS for more than 10 years. Except for 1 year when it is resource hungry, it has provided me with enough protection.

My current PC is about 5 years. My next PC will likely be a compact unit, with a much lower profile than the standard tower casing. I may try to install OSx, and will revert to Windows if unsuccessful.