• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All of singapore should watch this video interview

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bump up for those who have not seen the video.

Agreed with TS that this is one video all should watch.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...y-mindef-to-close-company-over-patent-rights/

I would like the video to be embedded here for all to see.

This is a REAL EXPOSE .....many names mentioned in the video.

Real gangsters and thieves stuff....

Source: The Online Citizen

Inventor forced by Mindef to close company over patent rights
JANUARY 15, 2015 BY HOWARD LEE IN TOC REPORTS · 57 COMMENTS

By Howard Lee

Facing a long-drawn and uphill lawsuit with the Ministry of Defence over a patent issue, Dr Ting Choon Meng, an innovator and medical professional, decided to withdraw his case due to mounting legal costs and a battle for which he saw no end in sight.

Even worse, given that Mindef is now demanding about S$580,000 in legal fees, to have his patent revoked and assign the rights to the Ministry, Dr Ting is looking at the very grim prospects of closing down his company Mobilestats Technologies Pte Ltd, the company holding the patent rights to his invention, the Station With Immediate First-Aid Treatment (SWIFT) vehicle.

[video=vimeo;117022082]https://vimeo.com/117022082[/video]
[Video Credit: TOC TV]

“I am completely disheartened,” said Dr Ting. “After this incident, suffice to say that I have lost confidence in Singapore’s ability to be a global IP hub.”

What made his case even more poignant is that Dr Ting was appointed to the board of directors for the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) since April 2013. He has since stepped down in January 2014, after he withdrew his case against Mindef.

“It has come to a point whereby I am honestly convinced that there is no true conviction right at the top of our government for Singapore to be transformed into a Global IP Hub,” he had written in his resignation letter.

“Recent events and processes in my own encounter have unfortunately shown me that without real conviction and internalization from the top, what we are trying to do in IPOS are but lip service.”

International certification for innovation

Dr Ting and his partners invented SWIFT, effectively a quick-deployment first aid station for crisis use, after the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US. Television footage of 9/11 made him realise that a vehicle-based medical facility would be a great game-changer in managing casualties during crises.

Subsequently, he applied for patent rights for his invention in no less than nine countries and successfully obtained the rights to intellectual property (IP) in almost all of them, including his home country Singapore.

His application to IPOS was filed on 27 December 2002, whereby it received a few rounds of checks through the reputed Danish Patent and Trademark Office, before it was finally approved on 6 July 2005.

Dr Ting and his partners continued to file for patent rights in eight other countries and regions, and received similar approvals in Australia, Japan, Israel, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, the United States of America and Europe.

During the long journey of certifying the IP for SWIFT, Dr Ting and his partners presented the concept to Commissioner of the Singapore Civil Defence Force Singapore Civil Defence Force, Mr James Tan, in 2004 and was asked to help build a prototype for trial purposes.

swift-vehicle-650x459.png

SCDF eventually called for a tender in 2006 for vendors to manufacture SWIFT, and within the tender documents, indicated that interested bidders need to first sign a licensing agreement with Mobilestats before SCDF would consider their bid. The SWIFT vehicles went on to serve its operational needs, and were publicised several times as an icon of “SCDF innovation”.

“It needs to be ruggedized”

However, Dr Ting had a less pleasant experience with Mindef. At a trade fair in 2005, Dr Ting spoke to BG (Dr) Wong Yue Sie, then chief of the SAF Medical Corps, about the SWIFT vehicle that was on display.

“He told me that changes would have to be made to the vehicle if it were to be adapted for SAF’s use,” recounted Dr Ting. “For example, the vehicle would have to be painted to camouflage and it needed to be ruggedized. I told him that such changes would not be a problem, but I informed him the vehicle was patented.”

“He told me that he would contact SCDF and said to me that, “maybe we can do it on our own” or words to that effect. I remember that clearly because I remember telling him that he could not do that because the vehicle was patented.”

Dr Ting never heard from Mindef since. However, in April 2009, the Defence Science and Technology Agency called a tender to procure a “Mobile First-Aid Post”. While the tender required bidders to obtain licensing agreements for IP, DSTA’s tender did not specifically mention Dr Ting’s SWIFT, as SCDF’s has done. The contract was eventually awarded to Syntech Engineers Pte Ltd for production, which did not contact Dr Ting or his partner about the patent.

MINDEFs-SWIFT-vehicle-650x294.png

“In fact, I didn’t know that they infringed our IP until we saw the vehicle exhibited at National Day Parade 2011,” said Dr Ting. It was supposedly the same vehicle that was featured in the 2011 National Day Parade, apparently as a fully operational model.

Intention to infringe?

Dr Ting decided to pursue the legal route with Mindef. “I can’t take it up with the vendor – they will just throw it back to Mindef, because they set out the tender. In any case, it was Mindef who drew up the specifications, they decided on the vehicle, so they should uphold the IP.”

Syntech-Mindef-fax-491x650.jpg

Curiously, in the exchange of legal letters, Mindef’s representing lawyers from Wong and Leow LLC accidentally faxed him a letter from Syntech, dated March 2009 and addressed to Mindef, outlined the company’s clear intent not to pay any heed to Dr Ting’s patent. Syntech wrote:

[I]“We noted your concern with regards to the possible infringement of their patent rights under their SG Publication Number 113446. Together with our legal advisors, we have studied their patent design as compared to our Medical Shelter design submitted under Tender Ref No. 7108105610. We have conclude that there is no infringement of their patent rights. Moreover, we have also concluded that their patent lacked novelty and/or inventive step… As such, it will be very difficult for them to defend their patent rights.”[/I]​

After receiving the fax, Dr Ting said Wong and Leow LLC frantically called him to ask him to destroy the letter.

“It’s clear that Mindef is aware of potential infringement and had asked Syntech about it, but the company has decided not to obtain the IP license from us,” said Dr Ting. “Why did Mindef let that happen? Instead, they have effectively decided that our IP can be contested. And this was after IPOS has certified the patent!”

War of attrition

What Dr Ting did not count on was that the case would drag on for two years, costing him a fortune that effectively outweighed any licensing fee he would have been able to obtain from a successful case.

“It’s a war of attrition,” he said. “Mindef not only had the Attorney General defending them, they also contracted Wong and Leow. Why did they need so many lawyers? They kept delaying the case, claiming that their witness was not available. Meanwhile, every delay cost me in legal fees. I have no more money to fight this case.”

Eventually, Dr Ting decided to drop the case in January 2014, as the legal cost was too high for him to bear.

Just as perturbing was Mindef’s actions to “settle” the case. Dr Ting had offered them settlement terms indicating that each party pay for their legal fees, that he would not claim IP license fees for the vehicles Mindef has already built and allowing them royalty-free use for up to three years. However, charges will apply for subsequent vehicles built by Mindef. Fairly reasonable, he thought.

However, just two weeks before the scheduled trial, Mindef dropped a bombshell with their “counter-offer”: Dr Ting had to pay for Mindef legal costs, drop all claims to IP, and surrender his patent for SWIFT in Singapore as well as for the other seven countries the patent is registered in. This meant that Dr Ting not only lost the right to claim damages for the original infringement, but can no longer exercise his patent rights to SWIFT with other developers anywhere else in the world.

Just as strangely, although the courts awarded Mindef the right to revoke Dr Ting’s patent for SWIFT in October 2014, he heard from his sources that the agency has to date not gone to IPOS to complete the revocation.

“When I dropped the case, my conditions was that I would not claim for the vehicles Mindef has made, so long as they stop infringing on my IP,” said Dr Ting. “Instead, they countered by demanding that I pay their legal fees, and grant them free use of the patent.”

Meanwhile, Wong and Leow LLC slapped him with a legal bill of about S$580,000. Dr Ting had no more money to pay, and would likely have to put the company in receivership. Which means any party that takes over Mobilestats would still have the IP rights to SWIFT, until Mindef chooses to revoke it with IPOS.

“I honestly have no idea what Mindef is now planning to do with the IP for SWIFT,” said Dr Ting. “What I do know is that Mindef has produced up to 58 copies of the same vehicles. What for? I was a battalion commander in the Medical Corps before, and by my estimate, the entire SAF would only need about 12 to 14 SWIFT vehicles for its entire operational needs. Why produce 58?”

The Online Citizen has sent a request to Mindef to comment on this article. We will publish their response, if any, when they reply

End Of Article​

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
bump again.

interesting the shit times should run some propaganda today about mindef providing better health care for soldiers. someone trying to do damage control.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if he retained the patent he would still get screwed. Anyone who shares ideas with them beware. They have immense resources to reverse engineer anything and they have no conscience.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Myst watch In FULL.

If this goes back to court, watching this video in full, will give all Citizens and FTs alike a good preview.

Like i said, many powderful names mentioned in video. Also mentioned many other cases swept under carpet.....even reporter covering this case also tiok....

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stupid thing is this guy tried to fight SAf and he ended up going bankrupt and lost his company and patents?without the patents he has nothing.isn't that the number one rule of business?protect ur patents.without patents ur business is nothing.

take his product across the border to a company called DRB-Hicom. They will welcome him with open arms if he uses their trucks and create the same formula and sell it to the malaysian gomen.
This DRB hicom got all the juicy contract with malaysia's mindef like the APC and now the maintenance of the not yet purchased saab viggen jets. i believed the Saabs will be leased to the malaysian govenrment or something like that to replace their MIG29's.

Last edited:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stupid thing is this guy tried to fight SAf and he ended up going bankrupt and lost his company and patents?without the patents he has nothing.isn't that the number one rule of business?protect ur patents.without patents ur business is nothing.

protect what fuck?

When the entire legal framework and all it's entities are kangaroo you got ..

NOTHING YOU CAN PROTECT!

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The inventor who has been robbed of his patent in Singapore.

[video=youtube;m_EPg6jBhoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=m_EPg6jBhoc&x-yt-cl=84503534[/video]

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Real Singapore

SMC DIRECTOR: THE GOVT HAS A LONG HISTORY OF CHEATING ENTREPRENEURS AND BUSINESSES
Post date: 24 Jan 2015 - 8:23pm

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-24%20at%208.23.26%20pm.png

Background Story: Mindef Claims Inventor's Patent is Invalid and Pushes Blame to Its Vendor

A few friends had messaged me privately advising me not to “incite anti-government sentiments.”

I wish to explain that my passion to support Dr Ting today is the result of having experienced a similar pain.

In 1993, Chartered Materials & Services Pte Ltd. (CMS) was planning to build an automated storage retrieval system (ASRS) for their premise located in JTC owned Clementi Distripark at 5, Clementi Loop. My company, SMC had built the ASRS at 7, Clementi Loop known then as Scandinavia Warehouses Pte Ltd, sharing a fence with CMS.

SMC was invited to tender.

In 1994, CMS was renamed to Singapore Technologies Logistics and becomes part of Singapore Technologies Industrial Corporation Group (STIC).

Ref. http://www.stlogs.com/corporate/milestones/

SMC devoted weeks, months and years of our time working with ST Logistics (STL) throughout the tender. We flew teams of software, mechanical and electrical engineers from Korea to Singapore to attend meetings. The more we worked with them, the greater confidence we had to be awarded the job. Our company in Korea had designed and built numerous facilities for the navy and army in South Korea to handle heavy ammunitions, equipment and very small spare parts. STL asked if SMC could visualize ourselves building at least 10 ASRS facilities for them not just in Singapore but overseas as well. Apart from working on the tender for their Clementi Loop facility planned to be a third party warehouse, STL also invited SMC to submit our proposals for numerous other industries like pharmaceutical, petrochemical, food and beverage and others. Since we shared the same fence as STL, their management team even discussed the possibility of building a bridge to link no. 5 and no. 7 to make it easier for SMC’s maintenance guys to access for trouble-shooting. All in all, it seemed like a sure deal for SMC.

SMC had provided STL whatever they had requested, sharing all the relevant case studies of SMC’s installations globally. SMC provided designs for stacker cranes, rack structures, pallets, warehouse management systems, material flow concepts, visualization of screen shots in our proposals catering to all the different store-in and store out scenarios.

STL’s management visited our head office in Korea along with a few other STIC engineers to tour our manufacturing plants and customers’ facilities.

As the tender process was getting long and costly for us, we repeatedly asked when their final decision could be reached. A different reason was given each time and we just (stupidly) continued to satisfy their endless requests for revisions in designs, drawings and price proposals.

After a long period of silence, one day we were informed that STL would like to appoint SMC to be their project consultant company. SMC was asked to accept a fee of SGD 50,000 for all the work put in the past few years. If we were agreeable STL would prepare the Memorandum of Understanding. So we asked them what happened to the tender opened in 1993 since it was the tender SMC responded to be a turn-key solution provider. SMC is not just a project consultant company but a manufacturer, designer and provider of turn-key solutions (www.smck.com). STL already knew from the start and they were the ones who told us they wanted to work with us because there are not many good crane makers in the world with an entire team of software/IT engineers under the same roof.

STL never gave a reasonable explanation but merely said their management had made some changes to their decision-making. The tender was opened in the name of CMS in 1993 but CMS no longer existed so it meant there was no tender to discuss about.

Soon after, we found out from Zulkifli Baharudin (a former NMP) then the General Manager at Scandinavia Warehouses Pte Ltd that STL has all this while been making use of SMC to obtain all the information needed for their own benefit since STL was already in the logistics business serving the defence and government sectors.

SMC has fed STL with so much information, we felt used and violated and we were bled so dry. We were called names by people in the industry. In those days, there was no internet yet. We had to use the fax machine to rectify large engineering drawings. We cut up A1 drawings into A4 sizes to fax between Korea and Singapore to communicate with our engineers. SMC Singapore office had chalked up thousands of dollars of Singtel bills each month for at least 18 months after responding to a tender that was actually just a ploy to trick vendors like SMC from the beginning.

When it was evident that they had started constructing the automated warehouse, numerous architects and contractors involved in their project came forward one by one to tell us how they had cloned our design and concept. When STL’s facility was opened to show off to the public, SMC was the only party that was denied entry to their premise. Before the construction started, our teams of engineers were there on site to calculate the floor loads to match our high-rise rack structure. We had already calculated their throughput and other data all tailor-made to their needs and even provided simulation systems to them showing how all the robots were going to move. It was so painful to go to the office each day for the next few years passing by No. 5 Clementi Loop. When SMC’s late President Mr Cho called me to start a law suit, we were advised not to waste our time and money as CMS no longer existed, the name had been changed to ST Logistics with new team of people running so there was no way for us to put up a case.

Anyway, I can say that the pain is so deep; the wound is still raw. SMC Singapore was financially made to suffer the brunt of the entire time while being made use of by STL. As the only Singaporean involved in the communication with STL from the start to the end, I felt deeply ashamed and responsible. We stopped receiving financial support from our head office in Korea because it had no more confidence to exist in Singapore. My co-workers in Korea remarked they would never have expected a Singapore government-owned agency to cheat this way.

I didn’t receive a stable income for close to three years, until we managed to secure contracts on our own merit with large pulp & paper companies, a food and beverage manufacturer in Indonesia, Kian Joo Can Group in Vietnam and Malaysia, IKEA for two facilities in China, Reliance Industries in India, state-owned Petrobras in Brazil.

My action does not make me a lesser Singaporean. My main objective is to let the public know that this case involving Dr Ting vs the MINDEF has brought back very painful memories for me. Today, I am yelling to the Singapore government that I am so disgusted and ashamed that you have repeated this act time and time again to many entrepreneurs and individuals who sincerely wish to be committed to growing and flourishing together with Singapore.

So my friends, please do not try to teach me what to write or not to write, what to say or not to say, what to feel or not to feel. The reason is, you will never know how it feels, till it happens to you.

Dr Ting and I have not kept in touch for close to 2 years. The day after I created the group to support him, Dr Ting messaged to thank me. It was then that we resumed communication and it was then that I learnt that his dad had passed away last June.

Please don’t tell me that you had your fair share of similar experiences. I am sure you did not. If you have experienced a similar pain of this scale, there is no way that you could still sit quietly and pretend that the Singapore government did no wrong. Yes, I need to emphasize it is not just the MINDEF since this involves the entire judiciary system in Singapore as well.

I am not a lesser Singaporean today. I am a Singaporean who really cares about her fellow citizens and the next generation's welfare. I love my country and I want to be able to continue boasting about the sunny island that is being governed by a team of experts who believes in sheer hard work, honesty and integrity.

My friends, do remember, “The greatest patriotism is to tell your country when it is behaving dishonorably, foolishly, viciously.” ― Julian Barnes, Flaubert's Parrot

Ai Lin Lim-Eng

Director of SMC

*Article first appeared on https://www.facebook.com/notes/ai-lin-lim-eng/why-i-am-a-singaporean-who...

End Of Article​