• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

individual or Strata Title - pros / cons ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80916
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80916

Basis Malaysian properties, which one of the two types above, is better ?

How long does it take - for title to be in Owner's hand ?

If still under mortgage, Bank holds title, yes?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the property is under mortgage, the title / strata title (whichever, doesn't matter) is still under the owners' name, but property is charged to the bank.
So the financier holds the physical title, but the title will have the owners' name on it.
Hope this clears it up.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal

The main problem with strata titled properties are high monthly maintenance fees. If you want to let, you will have to embed the maintenance charge with the rental rate. Your rental rate will be higher than others. Hence, less attractive. If you want to stay, maintenance fee headache because it will increase in a yearly basis. So obviously individual titled is better for those that opt for investment. If you can afford exorbitant monthly maintenance fee, you can consider strata titled properties for own stay.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main problem with strata titled properties are high monthly maintenance fees. If you want to let, you will have to embed the maintenance charge with the rental rate. Your rental rate will be higher than others. Hence, less attractive. If you want to stay, maintenance fee headache because it will increase in a yearly basis. So obviously individual titled is better for those that opt for investment. If you can afford exorbitant monthly maintenance fee, you can consider strata titled properties for own stay.

Not true to say about high maintenance fees. It is up to the resident association how much they want to charge. The destiny on how the residential is run depend on what they want themselves. You want high class security, you pay for it. But if you want to pay low in a strata titled area, also can. Employ Banglas and put a few oil drums in front. Throw your own rubbish and the maint fees might be even cheaper. It is just like a 2 star hospital or 5 star hospital.

In a individual titled area, you also pay but towards the municipal's assessment fees. You get public service treatment. If your council is good, then okie. If your council not good, then you are helpless on poor garbage collection and street lighting. Not to mention uncut grass and trees. I have a taman house whose road had not been paved since 15 years ago and it is 200 meters away from the municipal council headquarters.

High maintenance means high level of affordability. It also mean only to those residents who can afford. It equates to affluent neighbourhood. Especially in Malaysia, security is no. 1 concern. There are people who would pay 3 times the rental to stay in these high end houses compared to those in the general tamans. There's no right or wrong to which is better. It is totally different market. Different people have different needs.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, if you want low maintenance fee, employ a Bangla with some oil drums at the entrance will do. My relatives' taman in KL did that and only cost them rm25 per month. 一分钱一分货. All my relatives in Johor, malacca and kl have experienced break in before, no exceptions.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, if you want low maintenance fee, employ a Bangla with some oil drums at the entrance will do. My relatives' taman in KL did that and only cost them rm25 per month. 一分钱一分货. All my relatives in Johor, malacca and kl have experienced break in before, no exceptions.

This one also Gated and Guarded on tamans....gated by oil drums at entrance with a big umbrella but back alley all exposed. Guarded by 1 Bangla whose job is to salute at every one who drive in and out without stopping. No cctv, no recording book. Just 1 plastic cone in the middle of the road. Come rainy days, the plastic cone is permanently at the side of the road. Very cheap maintenance fee. :smile:

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
As i mentioned earlier, if you can afford the exorbitant fee, go ahead and get a strata titled house. I also stress that if it is for own stay, it will not be an issue at all. However, must be careful if buy for investment. Your rental rate is much higher compare to individual titled house. Example, Eco Summer/Spring and SEC investors will have headache renting it out later due to its bad location compare to all others condos near CIQ and 2nd Link. Why would people working in singapore wanted to rent a house so expensive yet so far away from singapore?

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one also Gated and Guarded on tamans....gated by oil drums at entrance with a big umbrella but back alley all exposed. Guarded by 1 Bangla whose job is to salute at every one who drive in and out without stopping. No cctv, no recording book. Just 1 plastic cone in the middle of the road. Come rainy days, the plastic cone is permanently at the side of the road. Very cheap maintenance fee. :smile:

You cannot generalized all individual titled taman this way. Well, horizon hill is individual titled. High class GnG. Others like Seri Austin, BDO, Austin Perdana, Desa Tebrau, Adda Height....all provide solid GnG service.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those buy to invest and with intention to flip will be trap for buying over priced landed strata titled property such as Eco Spring/summer. Not only they cannot sell their property later but they will have to continue to serve the high interest rate of bank loan and worst pay the exorbitant maintenance fee. Many property investors did advised "if want to flip, just buy cheap !"....but this is not the case for Eco Spring/Summer.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You cannot generalized all individual titled taman this way. Well, horizon hill is individual titled. High class GnG. Others like Seri Austin, BDO, Austin Perdana, Desa Tebrau, Adda Height....all provide solid GnG service.

Please do some research on the proper term Gated and Guarded. What are the legal provisions on Gated concepts. And what is really called Guarded. Is Gated just a physical perimeter fencing or following a legal provision. Tq.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do some research on the proper term Gated and Guarded. What are the legal provisions on Gated concepts. And what is really called Guarded. Is Gated just a physical perimeter fencing or following a legal provision. Tq.

What i am trying to say is many individual titled taman GnG service are as good as the Strata Titled taman. You can go and visit these places when you are free.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a matter of interest on this G & G subject.

1. There is no such thing called Individual titled Gated and Guarded communities. These tamans are individually titled with roads and playgrounds as well as reserved land surrendered to the Government. These are maintained by the local councils. And it is up to the Government to take back the playground or to build mosques / multi purpose halls on them as they see fit at any time they like.

2. Many will put up perimeter walls and fencing together with the guardhouse subjected to the approval of the local authorities. This is because they are built on government land. But the general public think it is a fully gated area which is not true.

3. The maintenance is up to the individual resident association who takes on the initiative to maintain the taman on their own accord. You want good service, you pay for it. But the onus is upon the local council to maintain the taman. It is afterall a public area. Then you have some house owners who do not want to pay and you cannot force them to pay legally. You have house owners who disappear after renting their units out.

4. Is there any difference between strata titled and individual ones as far as service is concerned? Nope. It is the same. Both are subjected to the resident associations' performance.

So why is strata titled so different? Strata titled gated community include every inch of the land it has within its master title. It means roads, drains, playground, reserved land belong to all the house owners. The government has no right to use the land without the resident association's approval. They run and maintain it as a private property. All owners sign a Deed of Mutual Covenants which is enforceable legally on each another. So the question of not paying does not arise. There are more information in accordance to Strata Titles Act 1985.

Would it be any better than individual titled tamans? Not necessary. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. It applies the same for both of them. Some tamans are well managed yet some are worse. Some owners are cooperative yet some are nasty. Try asking retired house owners for monthly fees or a tenant who only pay rentals but not maintenance fee..

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot deny that strata title landed property have its advantages. More restriction, more uniformity, good environment, exclusive, facilities etc. I am just stressing that all this come with a price. As mentioned, i also stress that if you have the budget and cash in hand, there is no problem at all to buy this type of property. However, strata landed in malaysia still very rare, majority of us still cannot accept the restrictions , like no extension (even if you bought with a bigger "footprint" unit), no outdoor painting, no pets, no illegal parking etc... and also, the maintenance fee & sunking fund (applicable to some projects), base on built up too, maybe a unit have to pay more than a thousand/mth is not a surprise.

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot deny that strata title landed property have its advantages. More restriction, more uniformity, good environment, exclusive, facilities etc. I am just stressing that all this come with a price. As mentioned, i also stress that if you have the budget and cash in hand, there is no problem at all to buy this type of property. However, strata landed in malaysia still very rare, majority of us still cannot accept the restrictions , like no extension (even if you bought with a bigger "footprint" unit), no outdoor painting, no pets, no illegal parking etc... and also, the maintenance fee & sunking fund (applicable to some projects), base on built up too, maybe a unit have to pay more than a thousand/mth is not a surprise.

You must have known the facts if not you won't anyhow irresponsibly and stupidly state these kind of information.
May I know which strata titled project in JB is >RM1k/mth ?
Is it for a normal cluster house or a super big bungalow ?

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must have known the facts if not you won't anyhow irresponsibly and stupidly state these kind of information.
May I know which strata titled project in JB is >RM1k/mth ?
Is it for a normal cluster house or a super big bungalow ?

Please discuss this issue in a clear mind. If you resort to personal attack, it means you have nothing to offer in this thread. All of us can say speak out our opinion and is up to Botak1 to make judgement. I am sure he is mature enough to decide which type of property that is good for him. We all just wanted to share our view with Botak1. Btw, just to let you know that if you ask Eco World on the maintenance fee of Eco Spring, the staff cant even tell you the exact figure. Initially they mention around RM500, few months later they inform people is around RM600.....now they say around Rm700. So, RM1K a month is a possible figure for Eco Spring in near future. Call yourself to check if you dont believe me.

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please discuss this issue in a clear mind. If you resort to personal attack, it means you have nothing to offer in this thread. All of us can say speak out our opinion and is up to Botak1 to make judgement. I am sure he is mature enough to decide which type of property that is good for him. We all just wanted to share our view with Botak1. Btw, just to let you know that if you ask Eco World on the maintenance fee of Eco Spring, the staff cant even tell you the exact figure. Initially they mention around RM500, few months later they inform people is around RM600.....now they say around Rm700. So, RM1K a month is a possible figure for Eco Spring in near future. Call yourself to check if you dont believe me.

Pls lah. I am owner of Eco Spring and I can tell you all CSLong is telling lies as usual. If you are not a owner Pls stop talking crap you don't know. You can actually get sued for defamation CSLong. Let this be a mild warning to you. RnF is the best like you said. No maintenance fees, unlimited parking spaces for each unit you buy. Situated next to a MRT apparently. (Yet to be confirmed but already being falsely advertised) ,Buildings built on reclaimed land. Oh well, isn't this the recipe for the perfect condo? Come la, I clap for you.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Correction:

Majority of us --> Some of us -----> On my own behalf
Do not speak for others nor try to repesent them. That tantamount to misrepresentation.
You can only speak on your own's behalf and based on your personal experience.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the topic of individual vs strata titles have been quite thoroughly discussed. There will be people who prefer individual titles vs those who prefer strata. As a Singaporean who has seen how the landed market played out in SG, I prefer individual titles with a corresponding DMC, but I can also see the case for Strata titles. To each his own I guess.