• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Tommy Koh disturbed by high inequality in S’pore

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Tommy Koh, who is the former ambassador to the United Nations, is disturbed by the current wide income gap and inequality in Singapore.

He said this in an article which was published in the media today (3 Jan).

“Our per capita income is one of the highest in the world,” he said. “Singapore is, however, not perfect. There are areas in which we can and should do better.”

“I am disturbed by the inequality in Singapore. We have one of the highest Gini coefficients in the world,” he added.

He said that he is unhappy of seeing many Singaporean children growing up in poverty.

“About a third of our students go to school with no pocket money to buy lunch,” he explained. “As a trustee of two education trusts, I am reminded each year of the large number of needy students in our schools and tertiary institutions.”

60% of university students need financial assistance in Singapore

He also disclosed that he was shocked when a university president recently told him that 60 per cent of the university students need financial assistance.

He did not say which university it is.

Indeed, it was shocking to hear this latest disclosure from Dr Koh about our own students needing financial help while the government is pouring millions to sponsor foreign university students every year.

To add insult to injury, foreign students are defaulting on tuition grants (‘MP Png continues to press MOE for answer‘) but MOE refused to give an answer about the numbers who are defaulting when WP MP Png Eng Huat asked in Parliament in.....
http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/01/03/dr-tommy-koh-disturbed-by-high-inequality-in-spore/

jw5

Loyal
There is nothing wrong with Inequality.

The problem in SG is Inequity. :wink:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats why Ah Khaw told us not to send our kids to Uni. :rolleyes:

Yeah just like last time he delayed building jurong hospital, didn't increase intake of medicine students. All proven grossly wrong by now. As usual Singaporean bear the loss while he continue to strut his stuff.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
My goodness, one third of students go to school with no pocket money to buy lunch. Is this really Singapore?

And 60 percent university students need financial assistance. Are they getting any or only saddled with student loans while FT students given free ride?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with Inequality.

The problem in SG is Inequity. :wink:

It is grossly unfair that highly talented PAP ministers and civil servants are paid so little. We need to pay them more.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is grossly unfair that highly talented PAP ministers and civil servants are paid so little. We need to pay them more.

Double their Salary after all we can afford it, than we will see them bring about equality back into Sinkiepore.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My goodness, one third of students go to school with no pocket money to buy lunch. Is this really Singapore?

And 60 percent university students need financial assistance. Are they getting any or only saddled with student loans while FT students given free ride?

canteen.jpg

The students look pretty well-fed. Don't see 1/3 of them going hungry

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dangle them from lamp posts to see them dance and dance even betterer still

All the more reason to vote for PAP. When PAP wins, you don't see them carrying out mass executions of their political rivals. If we vote people like you in, we will turn into a failed African banana republic within a decade.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The GINI coefficient is of no significance.

To lower the GINI coefficient would mean artificially constricting earning potential at the high end or paying the lower end more than they are worth, or, even worse, doing both.

It is best to let market forces rule. I'm glad that the PAP government shares my wisdom. That's why I consider the PAP to be the best.