• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex Zeppelin frontman turns down $800 million offer

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you have been such a huge success in your career and able to say "enough is enough" I suppose more any more monetary offers don't mean anything anymore. But it must be quite something to walk away from an offer of close to a billion bucks. Some people really have got it made! I wonder if any of the big earners in Sg can turn down such an offer?

Cheers!

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/13/rob...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_344939

SATURDAY, DEC 13, 2014 08:01 AM MPST

Robert Plant exclusive: “I don’t want to be stuck in the ’70s or the ’80s”
Iconic rocker keeps turning down millions to reunite Led Zeppelin. He tells us why the future's more fun than past

STEPHEN DEUSNER
Last month a rumor hit the Internet that Robert Plant had turned down $800 million from Virgin Group founder Richard Branson to reunite Led Zeppelin for a proposed 35-date tour. It would have been an easy near-billion — who doesn’t know the words to “Stairway to Heaven”? It may have been eventually shot down as merely an invention of social media, but that astronomical figure doesn’t seem too far out of line for the best band to ever rock a stadium, especially one in the midst of an ambitious campaign to remaster and reissue its formidable back catalog.
Nor does it seem out of character for Plant to reject that offer. Aside from a one-show showing in 2010, which produced the excellent live album “Celebration Day,” the singer has shown no interest whatsoever in revisiting those old songs or reliving previous glories. A solo artist for three decades now—that’s three times the tenure of his former band—he has produced a large and multifaceted catalog that ranges from the pop-oriented sounds of his early albums to the retro-crooner stylings of his sole Honeydrippers release to the American roots rock of 2002’s “Dreamland” and 2007’s “Raising Sand.” The latter, a collaboration with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss, went multiplatinum and won approximately all the Grammys.
Plant could easily have settled into a career as a roots musician, but he has changed course dramatically. His latest release, the oddly titled “lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar,” sounds like all of his previous records played at once. Musically omnivorous and beautifully sung by a man who at 66 still has one of rock’s most expressive voices, these songs move from the foothills of Appalachia to the dancefloors of Bristol, from the avenues of New York City to the plains of Africa. It might have been a mere exercise in musical cross-pollination if the songs themselves weren’t so sturdy and mysterious, full of graceful melodies and spiritually generous sentiments. As such, it’s one of the most adventurous albums of 2014.
Plant has always been a man on a journey, even as far back as his days with Led Zeppelin, who in the 1960s and 1970s proved themselves imaginative synthesists of transatlantic genres. Many of that band’s songs recount dangerous treks across forbidding landscapes, whether away from some great battle or toward some unknown destination. “They choose the path where no one goes,” Plant sang on “No Quarter,” which anchored the band’s recently reissued 1973 album “Houses of the Holy.” “They carry news that must get through.” Plant has been living up to those lyrics ever since, restlessly moving from one sound to the next, navigating by instinct and with no set destination in sight.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
800 million gtfo.....there is no way anyone is paying 800 million for a series of concerts.i dont even think led zeppelin made 800 million in salaries lifetime.

if robert plant turns down 800 million i would laugh my ass off.hes already lost his voice.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
800 million gtfo.....there is no way anyone is paying 800 million for a series of concerts.i dont even think led zeppelin made 800 million in salaries lifetime.

if robert plant turns down 800 million i would laugh my ass off.hes already lost his voice.

Not easy to sing in high tone. you go karaoke and try yourself. Your throat also sore. next day, your voice the ladies also like.
These 60's musicians can live on their lucrative income from sales and rights of their songs for decades without having to work. Unlike richard branson who is in debt.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, that figure is seems somewhat exaggerated, that's why the article says its rumoured. I remember an incident I was at a convenience store when the local 649 (lottery) snowballed to 8 million dollars and the storeowner asked a patron what he'd do if he won that money, who replied "I can't imagine having that kind of money. I would be happy to win 300 bucks, I'd take my family out to a nice restaurant and have a really splendid meal." I believe him, its a sum we can fathom, not millions of dollars!

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singers, like professional athletes are talented and make money from the appreciative fans out there. People like Richard Branson are more likely crooks (some call them entrepreneurs).

Cheers!

..................... Unlike richard branson who is in debt.

meeraze

Alfrescian
Loyal
800 million and he did not want so is he alright up there or not or too much drugs in his body and mind.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singers, like professional athletes are talented and make money from the appreciative fans out there. People like Richard Branson are more likely crooks (some call them entrepreneurs).

Cheers!

richard branson crook?have u read his books?that guy is a business genius.singapore would be blessed to have someone like him,he has a better mind than 99 percent of sinkie garbage.now on the other hand peter lim is a crook.made it rich from a palm oil deal and did nothing since then except blowing it all on a football club.sim wong hoo?another billionaire one hit wonder that scores a big hit with soundcard and go bankrupt 20 years later from business fail.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
He might be super rich, but I don't care what he does nor give any respect his kind. What has he done for humanity? He is just a rich bloke, that's all.

Cheers!

richard branson crook?have u read his books?that guy is a business genius.singapore would be blessed to have someone like him,he has a better mind than 99 percent of sinkie garbage.now on the other hand peter lim is a crook.made it rich from a palm oil deal and did nothing since then except blowing it all on a football club.sim wong hoo?another billionaire one hit wonder that scores a big hit with soundcard and go bankrupt 20 years later from business fail.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone interested in seeing Robert Plant and the lead singer of Depeche Mode appear together? Kee Chiu!

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems to shock many singos when they learn that money is not the yardstick to measure everything in this world…especially when you are blessed with enough to see you and 10 generations of your family through.

I totally understand Plants motivations….some people are more interested in moving forwards than backwards.

Meanwhile Jimmy Page can still be seen in the beer bars of pattaya a few times a year….if you see him for fucks sake act normal and give him his privacy.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Robert Plant exclusive: “I don’t want to be stuck in the ’70s or the ’80s”
Iconic rocker keeps turning down millions to reunite Led Zeppelin. He tells us why the future's more fun than past

robert plant, rock on!

[video=youtube;MxPrwol5lJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPrwol5lJE[/video]

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal

must read must read

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He might be super rich, but I don't care what he does nor give any respect his kind. What has he done for humanity? He is just a rich bloke, that's all.

Cheers!

well his books are 400 pages thick but i would say he transformed the music world and music business in the 70s and 80s with his first company virgin records and the subsequent creation of virgin airlines to compete against the british airways and the old airline behmoths is legendary enough.of course he started many other businesses telecoms,trains,active.....even setting up an airline,virgin nigeria for the nigerian president.i believe he has done more for humanity than LKY and all of the PAP lackeys combined.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems to shock many singos when they learn that money is not the yardstick to measure everything in this world…especially when you are blessed with enough to see you and 10 generations of your family through.

I totally understand Plants motivations….some people are more interested in moving forwards than backwards.

Meanwhile Jimmy Page can still be seen in the beer bars of pattaya a few times a year….if you see him for fucks sake act normal and give him his privacy.

this is where sinkies differ.....sinkies crave lots of money but they have no talent nor brains to deserve it......others make it big but their money is dwarfed by their feats and accomplishments,they earn lots of money in the process of doing great things,they are the embodiment of greatness themselves.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ueGqCC-D9TY?rel=0&showinfo=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

All British Pop Quiz show in 1983

Robert Plant and 21 year old Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode

Also featuring Bananarama member and ELO drummer

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal
richard branson crook?have u read his books?that guy is a business genius..

According to his own books, he did some smuggling in his early years.

Branson, Jobs, Gates the lot if they had been Singaporeans they would have been caught, punished heavily for smuggling, phone line hacking, unauthorized mainframe access respectively in their younger years. Their enterprising spirit would have been doused, hair cut and turned to drones to feed Singapore Inc and never heard from again.

Back to Percy Plant. He has said many times, the band without Bonzo is just not the same.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

it's pure bullsh!t. all these figures are hyperbole from some gossip or crap papers or media to inflate the worth of down and out rockers passed theri prime. like hype about penny stocks. even U2, which is way better and more infleuntial than led zeppelin) got a taste of reality when they offer their new album fro free on itunes and was told to get lost and forced to apologise as most trated it as spam ie worthless and nuisance. the only group worthy of note is ABBA and they were offered $1b for a reunion tour since their popularity is worldwide and alot of baby boomers would not mind paying thousands for a ticket just to hear them sing but alas they turn it down.