• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buddhist group to build $20m monastery

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Does government give grant for building buddhist temple?

Personally, I never heard of it but only heard that everytime build mosque government will give grant.

A $20 million Buddhist monastery will rise up in the north of Singapore in 2017.

The four-storey complex in Woodlands Avenue 6 will house classrooms, a library, clinic and dormitories for monks and nuns.

It is part of Buddhist society BW Monastery's expansion plans. Established in 2002, the religious group has grown from 150 members to 3,500 members today.

The new building will have a gross floor area of 34,000 sq ft, slightly less than the size of a football field.

It will have a restaurant, offices, a basement carpark with 32 parking spacesand a multi-purpose hall that can fit 700 people.

BW Monastery successfully bid for the land parcel from the Urban Redevelopment Authority earlier this year, after five years of hunting for a site.

"We are glad that we finally got the plot. Hosting Vesak Day for thousands of devotees has been quite a struggle," said Mr Lim Tiong Boon, the monastery's secretary-general.

Apart from government land, the monastery also looked at existing temple spaces across the island.

Last year, it lost a bid by $100,000 for a government plot of land in Punggol.

There are about 130 Buddhist temples and organisations registered with the Singapore Buddhist Federation, and BW Monastery's struggle to find a space for its religious activities is not uncommon in land-scarce Singapore.

Earlier this month, the Government said it would be exploring the idea of multi-storey hubs to house related faith groups that could ease the crunch in future.

For now, BW Monastery has to rent space from clan associations or book road space to hold Vesak Day celebrations - a costly affair that can come up to $50,000 each time.

The group's current headquarters is at Citiraya Centre in Lorong 27, Geylang. It owns two floors there, and rents another two units in two other Geylang buildings.

It conducts 120 religious classes in total, each with about 10 to 20 students. On the new building, Mr Lim said: "Now, we can finally conduct our activities, including major seminars, in a more spacious setting."

The group has plans to develop a diploma programme for both lay people and Buddhist leaders in the next five years as well.

If it succeeds, it will be one of three major Buddhist learning institutions here. The leading one is the Buddhist College of Singapore, which offers a degree and master's in Buddhism in both English and Mandarin.

Mr Lim described the upcoming building as a Buddhist hub in the north, and appealed to the community to contribute to its fund-raising drive. It has raised $10 million so far.

BW Monastery's Venerable Jing Yuan said: "We want to build a joyous, conducive environment for anyone intent on learning the Dharma to study, contemplate and practice."

[email protected]

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a massive 55,560 sq. ft. buddhist temple belonging to the purple lotus society is nearing completion at niles on the border of fremont and union city. it will include living quarters for 120 monks and guests. under construction within the same compound is the 32,400 sq. ft. dharma institute which will have a capacity of 250 students. the whole complex sits on 5.5 acres of prime land facing the fremont foothills. buddhists in california are filthy rich.

http://patch.com/california/fremont/new-buddhist-temple-rising-near-niles
http://www.nilesunity.com/?section=45

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Does government give grant for building buddhist temple?

Personally, I never heard of it but only heard that everytime build mosque government will give grant.

The other religious groups are more able to take care of themselves.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays there are many strange Buddhist groups and monks operating in Singapore, many belonging to certain meditation centres. There are Burmese Buddhist monks in their red robes walking about in the HDB heartlands.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays there are many strange Buddhist groups and monks operating in Singapore, many belonging to certain meditation centres. There are Burmese Buddhist monks in their red robes walking about in the HDB heartlands.

let's not forget about that con-job temple with the gigantic Buddha tooth relic..............

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Because they know that there are a lot of daft sinkies who will donate money to any guy with a shaved head, thinking that he must be a monk.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
let's not forget about that con-job temple with the gigantic Buddha tooth relic..............

I don't really care about Buddhist relics but the temple is a nice piece of work... definitely meant for the tourists.

Many people are also unaware of the upper floors in the temple, many nooks and crannies to explore. Lots of nice sculptures and paintings.

Side note: that grass patch next to the temple is now a big mess and undergoing construction for a Thomson Line MRT station. Because walking from there to the Chinatown MRT station is too much hard work. :rolleyes:

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking of big, religious buildings, anyone know what is the big ass white building at Bukit Merah, opposite the old Spring Building (I think)?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is it true that can only join the temple based on recommendation from current member? Heard that one of their meditation ritual is held in cemetery.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it true that can only join the temple based on recommendation from current member? Heard that one of their meditation ritual is held in cemetery.
The White Temple? I don't know, only always drive past and then wonder what the hell is such a grand building doing in Bukit Merah. Once there were many cars parked inside with a lot of devotees. That was the only time I ever saw people inside despite driving past it almost every day.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Doing meditation in cemetery is nothing new in buddhism, it is in fact encourage. you never read the pali canon before right?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The White Temple? I don't know, only always drive past and then wonder what the hell is such a grand building doing in Bukit Merah. Once there were many cars parked inside with a lot of devotees. That was the only time I ever saw people inside despite driving past it almost every day.

Next to the white temple in Bukit Merah, Touch Community Theatre (belonging to FCBC's Lawrence Khong) has been demolished and is now being redeveloped into some glitzy mall-like building.

Deviant Christians can't let the deviant Buddhists steal all the limelight with impressive architecture, you know. :biggrin:

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other religions don't have chc style of sucking money , then having elaborate shows to suck even more money. Temples don't bother anyone. Hence my respect, even if I don't believe in nonsense

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cheers. Apparently it's part of the 一貫道 religion, which is the 3rd largest in Taiwan.

This 天道 is a cult.
Its a multi god religion and one is a dog which they pray to.
Prayers are all secret secret behind closed doors.
They have another white temple somewhere in hougang/serangoon

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This 天道 is a cult.

They are still relatively benign. Everyone should pick a superstition and enjoy himself.

If you are capable of founding a religion, even better. :wink:

[video=youtube;EkF0ALh6VYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF0ALh6VYI[/video]

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This 天道 is a cult.

You are right. Lots of loaded members. Other location close to Hillside, along Upper S'goon Rd.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not adding value to your life even if you pour more millions into it. This is the truth my friends brothers and sisters. Wake up!! Dun continue to live in slumber. Open your eyes.