• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Passing Away : Rites and Cost

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go for the cheapest one non religious ceremony. I think the most expensive ones are Taoist and Buddhist rites. Dun waste monies on the dead. Spend them on the hungry and poor living people.

Watch out for those CB Bengs trying to pray on those who are grieving. Bloody hell one fruit basket can cost hundreds of dollars. It adds to your cost.

Last edited:

alchemist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your input bro.

Yes, it is due to prolong illness. Cancer of the Lung
I believe it is going to be very tiresome for his family members, however, the dad has asked for a 5 days bereavement.

Yes, one consideration is to have the wake where they are able to provide the place too, ie Casket company. It will cut down on the hassle too as the funeral services team is there too, rather than at the void decks. It will be a bit more costly too as one is renting the premises.

I am surprised by the estimated cost too, between 20k to 30k.
Will let him know on the above mentioned.

my father-in-law..passed away...early this year ( about 8 months) when he had a fall..

we hold at Void deck..for 3 days... (already punchek!) due to insufficent sleep..

his cost was abit high..as his sons has requested for extra prayers and papers to burnt

and also..his ashes (choice locations)were kept at the Clan Associations (cost :$10K)
and prayers tablets at the Temple..(another $8K) (choice location)
and they hold a "7X 7" 49 days prayers sessions at the Temple.(cost ?)

all this mark up his cost..!

White gold collections was about $12K..
but luckily my father-in-law got some savings (for the expenses)
when he sold his HDB flats (he stay with his youngest son..after cashing out his HDB)

and leave some $ for all the children

btw...my opinion again..

and do try not to "carry over" the funeral from 2014 to 2015..
(abit pantang for those livings!..)

as i feel that it better to look after the living..than the dead (esp if the mom is still around ?)

there's no need to be too filial after the dead is gone..(paiseh..! being personal and frank)

what you want to do,,, do what we can,
when one is alive..

if he's gone..your duty is done!
(No hard feelings !..)

My father-in-law..and me were very close..(he treats me better than his son!)
but after he's gone... my job is done!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks.
He just did.

Helped him to Google under funeral parlour services in Singapore. Quite a number of it came up
Surprising to see Income included.

Some did specify the charges, though adds up to more than 10k.
Will let him know.

coffin - a couple of Ks.
rites r subjective. if you know a priest, you can bring it down to couple of ks. dont go for elaborate ones.

peanuts and drinks. just get starter fr the tentage pple. then goto megamart and draw remaining ur supplies from there.

cremation & resting place. mandai is cheapest. khor kak see is exp. for the shan jui pai, can be 1K plus to a few Ks. if explain to the casket pple, they can offer the cheaper option.

just simple burial, about 3K or less.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For the rites, any guarantee the soul of dead will go to the place the rites supposed to bring? Any international standards the rites or the sai-gong subscribe to? Does sai-gong have license to perform proper rites? Who issue the license and what trainings must go through?

Surely we we don't want a hocus pocus guy to do the rites do we?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
yah lah.....yah lah.................people know you velly rich lah.............

for my own funeral......i can only afford to cremate my useless carcass..........and throw ashes into the sea........

For most Singaporeans I'm sure 15k is nothing and not considered rich. After all Singapore has onenofnthe most millionaires per capital.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hospital issues the COD cert. (Cause of Death). Police based on the COD cert, registers the death and issues the DC. You bring the COD to the Police station to report the death.

Police post to get death cert ? This is shocking. Death cert comes from hospital mah.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good funeral director books the void deck and does most of the arrangements so sparing the bereaved more hassle.

He will also enumerate the various choices and options open to the family - kind of rites, with or without monk chanting, kind of coffin with prices, kind of urn for the ashes, kind of hearse, kind of setup for the wake, transport arrangements for the mourners and guests, etc.

All you need to do is pick the FD. He does all the rest except mourn.

Towards the end when the ashes are collected, he normally expects an angpow.

One thing I learnt - you have to keep custody of a simple exercise book of the "or kim" or the donations, who gave how much. In future, you have to give as much as or more than those amounts to the people concerned when they have a death and the wake.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What happens if there is a mix-up during the cremation? Will the deceased still go to paradise?

20141119_creamation_sm.jpg

A grieving family was unable to send off an 85-year-old man as he was cremated in the wrong furnace at the Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium Complex yesterday.

Angered by the incident, the family argued with crematorium staff members for three hours and police were even called in, Shin Min Daily News reported yesterday.

The dead man, Soh Kang Gee, was supposed to be cremated in the furnace within sight of the crematorium's Viewing Hall 2 yesterday morning.

Mr Soh's son-in-law, who wanted to be known only as Mr Tan, 60, told Shin Min that some 30 family members had turned up at the hall at about 9.15am to recite prayers. The dead man had one son and five daughters.

But 15 minutes later, the family still had not seen Mr Soh's casket and thought that something was amiss.

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/family-misses-cremation-mandai-due-error#sthash.NjVlawIb.dpuf