• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fucking Shit Making University (SMU) turn former MPH building into their "lab"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I have many fond and wonderful memories of the old MPH. Spend lots of time there browsing and buying books. I daresay there was more learning happening there in those days when so many students from so many schools would congregate there. Nowadays, some fucked up org like Shit Making Uni is turning it into their "lab" for fuck?

Former MPH building now learning lab for SMU students

Where once there were shelves and shelves of books for sale, there is now in the old MPH building on Stamford Road a white room where the walls and floor are for scribbling ideas.

Another room, where silence is golden, has sofa beds for power naps. There is also a huddle room filled with colourful beanbags for small groups to meet.

It is all part of Singapore Management University's latest learning experiment called SMU-X, which goes into full swing in January.

Open to its students 24 hours, seven days a week, the three-storey former MPH building, which the university has leased for five years and renamed the SMU Labs, will be used to teach elective courses - but with a twist.

Instead of lectures, lessons will be centred on solving real-world problems through projects.

A public policy management course, for instance, may be taught by getting students to work with a social welfare agency to draw up programmes for disadvantaged families.

Professors will guide students through their projects.

The courses, about 10 of which will be launched next year, will be open to all students. Each will offer around 50 places.

Students will earn credits from the semester-long courses and they will be graded on their participation and the final outcome of the project.

SMU students were involved in the planning and design of the rooms. They held focus group discussions, conducted surveys and went overseas to look at facilities in other university campuses.

Mr Tan Gan Hup, associate director in the president's office who headed the setting up of SMU-X, said the space has been designed to suit the "millennial student" who is comfortable with technology and wants "the university to keep up with his learning on the go".

The old red and white conserved building was home to the flagship MPH bookstore until 2003 when it was bought over by Vanguard Interiors.

Undergraduates who have already had a taste of project-based courses said it is the way to go.

Social sciences student Jonathan Tan, 24, who worked on a project to highlight the challenges faced by single-parent families for his policy management course said learning came alive for him.

"You can read widely on the subject and attend lectures, but there's nothing like applying all that you have learnt to solving a problem. We went much deeper into the topic and learnt so much more."

Business student Zack Chan, 24, said usually in class they are given "made-up" problems to solve. "But in this case, it was a real problem that a client, a small company, faced. We had to come up with a more efficient way to purchase materials for its manufacturing process. And keep costs low.

"When we learnt something new from our professor, we applied it to the project. So we could immediately see the relevance."

SMU president Arnoud De Meyer said that learning through the new courses can be powerful as it will cross disciplines and give students the chance to be creative and experience real-world complexities.

He noted that the university, which was started 14 years ago, is known for doing things differently. It introduced broader admission criteria, an American style of teaching in small seminar groups and gave students marks for speaking up in class.

Now, he hopes that over the next few years, it will become known for SMU-X.

"X can stand for many things - experiential, extra, experimental which can all be applied to the programme. But X also stands for X-factor - that special talent or quality which we hope to nurture in our students through the programme."

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"X" means x-rated, the more "x's"....the saucy the rating...which means....they can go in secluded corners & have their "X" factored.... ha ha ha

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like a good programme this smu has..wonder if the graduates can get work after they graduate with all these fts around.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was looking around that area 2 to 3 years ago, the old MPH building housed an office furniture store. Quite an interesting looking store. Since they demolished the old library there isn't much going on there, only some museums, a artsy theatre,...

I don't know what the authorities were thinking of when they were making plans for this area but at least the building are still there.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pap are real good in destroying buildings ,ricebowls,careers,families,opponents...and anyone who gets in their way of enriching themselves.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SMU is a scummy university. Not too far from YMCA they are currently constructing a new building for their Faculty of Law named after Kwa Geok Choo. :rolleyes:

They also have an auditorium named after Riady. I rest my case.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Profits, money what else.

If you look at that area now it's quite dead. You can't make money from old buidings

I don't even know why they had to demolish the old library building:confused: I think it was just a case of a lazy bureaucrat taking the easy way of designing a road.:rolleyes: