• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pathetic Kiasu Sinkie parents enroling their 3 years old toddlers for tuition.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
As his tutor flashed one flashcard after another to him, little Gabriel Tan glanced longingly towards the door.

A sharp look from his mother put him back in focus, and he obediently repeated the words on the flashcards.

“Can I go to the playground now, mummy?” asked the little boy hopefully.

“No, you have to do your memory exercises next,” said his tutor, pre-empting the mother's reply, and the boy’s face fell again.

Gabriel is only three years old, but he has been receiving hour-long tuition lessons three times a week after his nursery classes so that he can “keep up” when his mother finally enrolls him at the coveted primary school she is an alumnus of – Nanyang Primary.

“I don’t think he is very smart, so to make up for that, he has extra tuition after nursery to build up his memory and vocabulary,” said his mother, who only wanted to be known as Mrs Tan, 37.

“Most of my friends also send their toddlers for after-school tuition, because it’s just so competitive these days. Better he suffer now than later,” she said.

Mrs Tan pays a “toddler tutor” $90 for each session with Gabriel.

In return, he has promised that Gabriel will be able to read and write fluently in both English and Chinese by the time he starts primary school in three years’ time.

Each hour-long session includes memory games, Chinese flash-cards activities, worksheets and basic abacus so that he can start doing simple Mathematics mental sums soon.

On top of home tuition classes and nursery, Gabriel also attends piano classes and takes tapdancing lessons. Mrs Tan estimates that she spends about $3,000 a month on enrichment classes and school for her youngest son.

His tutor, Mr C K Chan, 35, was previously a primary school teacher and told Yahoo Singapore that he has over 40 current young pupils ranging from as young as two to as “old” as six and has been tutoring toddlers for about four years.

“I don’t even need to advertise my tutoring services, after my first few pupils started excelling right from the start in primary school, the word spread and now I have to turn parents away.”

A quick search of “preschool tuition in Singapore” yields multiple results on home tutors or tuition centres alike extolling the virtues of pre-school tuition and how necessary it is starting from just two years old.

“Preschool home tuition is very important… more about teaching children to have a love of learning and a drive to succeed,” explains one such website.

Cheaper on the low-end than that for older kids, home tuition for pre-schoolers ranges from about $30 to $120 an hour depending on the experience of the tutor and the size of each group of young students.

“Start your preparation early and raise a gifted child,” reads another pre-school home tutor advertisement.

Yahoo Singapore spoke to ten sets of parents, asking them if they would be open to the idea of sending their toddler for tuition classes as young as two. Five pairs said they would if they felt that their child was “falling behind".

“I work full time and I have no time to teach my child after work because she is usually already sleepy by the time I reach home,” said bank executive Sandy Low, 36, whose four-year-old daughter attends Kumon enrichment classes on top of her regular Kindergarten.

“I worry if I am burdening her too much but then I think if she can’t keep up in Primary School she might blame me for not sending her for the same kind of classes. She’s very competitive," she explained.

“This sounds like rubbish and exploitation of guilty parents to me,” said housewife Melanie Rodrigues, 36, who has three children aged 2, 5 and 11.

“At two years old, my child should be just learning through playing, at his own pace. If you really want them to have an education, bring them out to the parks, the Zoo, the Science Centre, not coop them up at home with worksheets and flashcards.”

Her eldest son, Noah is in the Gifted Education Programme in school and according to her, has “never received a single day or hour of tuition.”

Primary school teacher H Q Teo, 28, told Yahoo Singapore that it is “depressing” to see that many of the P1 students she teaches are already used to having tuition instead of having fun after school.

“I ask my class what plans they have after school, and I would say about half tell me that they have enrichment or tuition classes to attend. After one exhausting day at school, they still have to go for classes and then do their homework at night,” said Teo.

“Their parents keep asking me if they need extra classes, extra homework, and I always tell them no. Poor things," she said.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm also glad not to be a parent. After years of studying just to get out of the Sinkie education system, I sure as hell do not want to get sucked back into it again. No tuition, enrichment classes, grade comparison with other kids or attending parent-teacher meetings. Fuck all that.

Carefree. :cool:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The moment you set up your kid to be chasing after academic results is the time your kid will be mediocre. The kid will be thinking of getting good grades then a good job (there is just too much opportunity cost of rejecting a job). There is nothing more pathetic than aspiring to work and enrich someone else. There is always someone who can do better than you at a lower price. The real-world system no longer reward the education system like in the past. PHD taxi drivers can attest to that.

There is nothing wrong with good honest work, but that should not be the sole aim of education. The purpose of education is to bring out the best in a person where his interests and passion lie and be in the field or start a business to be successful. Most people i know hate their jobs (regardless of salary), are married with kids and work for the sake of putting food on the table and clamouring for material wants all because they studied for something they had no interests in, at the instructions of their parents and the worst part is they know they will live out their lives feeling this way. Guess what, they are doing the same to their kids and they and their circle of friends are miserable.

Many will say it is hard, near impossible.. of course it is, the route to achieving happiness is meant to be hard, that's what make the result that much sweeter. This post isn't meant to demean and to put down, but to inspire one, if you will. If you are still young enough, no kids, not married.. there is still chance to lead your own life instead of your parents' wishes, however good their intentions were, it is not their life and you are the one having to live it out. If you are one of those tiger parents, you were probably brought up the same way or subconsciously, you wish your kid to accomplish things you never could do. To some people, that's why they have kids and push them so hard, they were mediocre themselves.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
3 year old is the time to play and be happy..fuck what memory exercise..sinkies are stupid.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Preschool home tuition is very important… more about teaching children to have a love of learning and a drive to succeed,” explains one such website.

yeah so you can earn money from stupid parents... what cock logic is that???? Oh its a sinkie cock logic.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the problem in Spore has more to do with the system & not with the people. People should be asking themselves why they need all these enrichment classes:confused: I've never taken any of these classes & I think I did ok. In dollar terms, I own my home, have no debts, have investments,...including my CPF which amounts to a few million. I did this on my own without any political connections with the PAP.

Sporeans should actually take a look at reality & who in Spore is making $$$. It is usually those from overseas e.g. the citizens from angmo countries who are working in Spore. Their pay & benefits are better even if they work in Spore. I think they should focus their efforts at changing the system in Spore or simply leave Spore rather than putting so much pressure on their kids

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
His tutor, Mr C K Chan, 35, was previously a primary school teacher ... “I don’t even need to advertise my tutoring services, after my first few pupils started excelling right from the start in primary school, the word spread and now I have to turn parents away.”

Altogether now!!! Super duper loud loud!!! HUAT AH!!!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s2pig sinkie parens stil send kids 4 tuition 4 wat? ... later stil n up as hawkers ...

mite as wel save ze moni 2 get a betta hawker stall later ...

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
only in Sinkiekand, the govt. is actively supressing its very own citizens from beyond tertiary education while allowing sub standard foreigner with dubious education to work and grant them PR.

kbw_zps500bfaa8_0.jpg

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“I don’t think he is very smart, so to make up for that, he has extra tuition after nursery to build up his memory and vocabulary,” said his mother, who only wanted to be known as Mrs Tan, 37.

“Most of my friends also send their toddlers for after-school tuition, because it’s just so competitive these days. Better he suffer now than later,” she said.

Mrs Tan pays a “toddler tutor” $90 for each session with Gabriel.

In return, he has promised that Gabriel will be able to read and write fluently in both English and Chinese by the time he starts primary school in three years’ time.

Each hour-long session includes memory games, Chinese flash-cards activities, worksheets and basic abacus so that he can start doing simple Mathematics mental sums soon.

On top of home tuition classes and nursery, Gabriel also attends piano classes and takes tapdancing lessons. Mrs Tan estimates that she spends about $3,000 a month on enrichment classes and school for her youngest son.

“This sounds like rubbish and exploitation of guilty parents to me,” said housewife Melanie Rodrigues, 36, who has three children aged 2, 5 and 11.

“At two years old, my child should be just learning through playing, at his own pace. If you really want them to have an education, bring them out to the parks, the Zoo, the Science Centre, not coop them up at home with worksheets and flashcards.”

Her eldest son, Noah is in the Gifted Education Programme in school and according to her, has “never received a single day or hour of tuition.”

Primary school teacher H Q Teo, 28, told Yahoo Singapore that it is “depressing” to see that many of the P1 students she teaches are already used to having tuition instead of having fun after school.

Other than Chinese which was done by relative
Who had been authorised to use the cane
Never had to do tuition for any school subject
Yet managed to top in years that matter

On other hand never had talent or perserverance
To play any kind of musical instrument
All Akim wants for Christmas is his two front teeth
Don't force your child to be like him

[video=youtube;MlVEjrBZhs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlVEjrBZhs0[/video]

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And when he grows up he needs to serve NS and works under foreigners with fake qualification..... :rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The misery of sinkies has nothing to do with the PAP. They make themselves miserable.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To b honest. This sort of attitude just pervades n goes on n on. Wat parent need to do is concentrate on getting the basics right. Self discipline. Basic life skills etc is more important than rote learning.