• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG Banks Hike Credit Card Rollover Interest Rate to 28% PA Cos Long Time No Hike Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]BANKS AND CREDIT CARDS – SO LONG NEVER HIKE INTEREST RATES[/h]
<!-- /.block --> <style>.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style> Post date:
19 Dec 2014 - 10:26am

<ins id="aswift_0_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_0" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_0" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

The banks are raising their credit card interest rates to more than 24% per annum and cash advance interest to 28% per annum or more. And the perfect reason to do so: so long never raise, so it is a good justification to raise.

No one is questioning whether 24% and 28% are very high interest rates to pay. Of course these rates are still low compared to the loan sharks. Would anyone be saying cheap, cheap, cheap? Now, on the other hand, the banks are paying their depositors never before extremely low interest rates. Would this be a factor for the banks to lower their rates instead of hiking them? Oh, it is a commercial decision. Or like boh cheng hu. Or would anyone yell cartel or price fixing?

On the other hand, could the consumers tell the banks, so long never cut rates, so it is time to cut some rates? Why must interest rates be one sided, up and up and up when saving rates is down and down and down?

As long as it is a business decision, there is no cause to argue about morality or right or wrong. It is about profits. And the banks can be praised for making the right commercial decision. Now I can understand why Jover Chew and all the rogue retailers are not doing anything wrong. They are only making commercial decisions. It is a business, and profit is the only reason for making such decisions.

<ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

So consumers can expect the banks to keep raising interest rates every few years by claiming that they have not raise rates for a long time. Soon they will be competing with the loan sharks to see who is charging higher interest rates. Using the formula of time as a factor to raise rates, there is no limit to how high the banks can raise their interest rates. And there is no law against it, all perfectly legal.

What is wrong with charging more and collecting more? New morality or self serving morality?

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean
*The writer blogs at mysingaporenews.blogspot.com.

nufala

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SG Banks Hike Credit Card Rollover Interest Rate to 28% PA Cos Long Time No Hike

So how long is long for these thieves.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: SG Banks Hike Credit Card Rollover Interest Rate to 28% PA Cos Long Time No Hike

Credit card debt is unsecured and therefore high risk. The interest rate is set to reflect this fact.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is not price fixing or gorging. It is simply free enterprises vigorously competing and regulating among themselves. No need to be alarmed. :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Credit card debt is unsecured and therefore high risk. The interest rate is set to reflect this fact.

You need to have a decent job to qualify for a credit card. There are gov't guidelines on the amount of credit a bank can extend. I think it is something like twice what you make in a month.

If a person has shown to be unreliable in paying his credit bills, why not just lower his credit limit instead of gouging the consumers:confused:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

You need to have a decent job to qualify for a credit card. There are gov't guidelines on the amount of credit a bank can extend. I think it is something like twice what you make in a month.

If a person has shown to be unreliable in paying his credit bills, why not just lower his credit limit instead of gouging the consumers:confused:

That goes against the ethos of Capitalism ......

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Anyone who finances his/her lifestyle with a credit card loan is a high risk borrower and the interest rate is set to reflect that degree of risk.

Those who are financially sound will NEVER make a partial credit card payment. They'll pay their bills in full, on time, every single month.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That goes against the ethos of Capitalism ......

Yes the bank are there to make money.

My point is that these are low risk customers & not the high risk customer that need to be secure with a higher interest rate. The banks have all the records of their spending habits, they can reduce the credit limit or terminate the credit card of the customer. However they won't do that because they stand to make more profit if customers rollover their debts.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tell this red bean loser Sinkie go fuck off lah.

Nobody ask you go spending on credit and do not repay on time. You pay in full every time your fucking credit bills comes, where would this credit card rate will ever bother you.

It's ppl like these losers Sinkie that thinks the world owe them a living.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyone who finances his/her lifestyle with a credit card loan is a high risk borrower and the interest rate is set to reflect that degree of risk.

Those who are financially sound will NEVER make a partial credit card payment. They'll pay their bills in full, on time, every single month.

Wow so we at least have one common belief about money! LoL

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Wow so we at least have one common belief about money! LoL

Apart from a housing loan early in my career, I have not borrowed a cent since.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

boss, while you are back, i can ferry you in my cab, feel free to let me know...:biggrin::o

Apart from a housing loan early in my career, I have not borrowed a cent since.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

boss, while you are back, i can ferry you in my cab, feel free to let me know...:biggrin::o

No thanks. I don't trust taxi drivers. If I need a car I'll rent one.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes the bank are there to make money.

My point is that these are low risk customers & not the high risk customer that need to be secure with a higher interest rate. The banks have all the records of their spending habits, they can reduce the credit limit or terminate the credit card of the customer. However they won't do that because they stand to make more profit if customers rollover their debts.

Low risk customers pay 0% interest if they do not rollover credit.

There are also many forms of credits out there that are much lower than 28%. Customer can choose those credit to pay their rollover credit card bills.