• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG Buildings Are Safe? Thnk Again!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<cite>Quote:</cite>SINGAPORE - Heavy rain on Wednesday brought down a small section of the ceiling at Westgate.

The mishap left a 1m-long hole in the fourth-floor ceiling of the Jurong East mall, Shin Min Daily News reported.

A shopkeeper told the Chinese daily that three or four men were walking near the area, and were almost hit by the fragments of the ceiling that fell. "It was raining heavily and the ceiling started leaking, more severely than usual. Suddenly there was a loud crash, and it turned out, a piece of plaster had fallen," the 26-year-old said.

Rainwater that overflowed onto the ceiling area caused part of the false ceiling to fall off, said Mr Eddie Lim, centre manager of Westgate. No one was hurt in the incident and the affected area was cleaned up about 15 minutes later, he said.​
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...alls-after-heavy-rain-20#sthash.6mxpgN3c.dpuf

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ask Bang 1 - 50 he will tell you, Singapore, never "ponded", flooded or gets deluged....so go figure it out!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Built by cheap labor whose only experience in construction is a two day BCA approved classroom course.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's quite obvious that both JEM and Westgate were constructed shoddily and hastily.

All the newer malls give me negative vibes, there's always a nagging feeling that something is amiss but you can't put a finger on it... it might be the hollow walls, 'open concept' toilets, too much glass being used, flimsy railings or the inferior concrete used. Go to IMM and compare it with JEM and Westgate. Feel for yourself.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Falling doors, flooding MRT stations,....I'm expecting something more serious to happen like a collapsing building.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Built by cheap labor whose only experience in construction is a two day BCA approved classroom course.

...our construction quality have gone backwards since the day FT took full control of it..from manager to general workers n even sub-cons...so don't expect the era of the 80's...so sad...more news to come on such incident..but have to bare with it..$$ is the only concern ..so sad

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's quite obvious that both JEM and Westgate were constructed shoddily and hastily.

All the newer malls give me negative vibes, there's always a nagging feeling that something is amiss but you can't put a finger on it... it might be the hollow walls, 'open concept' toilets, too much glass being used, flimsy railings or the inferior concrete used. Go to IMM and compare it with JEM and Westgate. Feel for yourself.

I remember reading about how someone died at IMM from a falling wall. It happened many years ago & I think they were renovating the place.

I'm more concerned with a miscalculation by the architects. With so much construction going on I expect something major to happen like Orchard Rd collapsing:eek: There are now so many underground tunnels being built e.g. the Tang/Ion, Centrepoint/Emerald/Somerset area.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]HEAVY RAIN CAUSES CEILING COLLAPSE AT WESTGATE MALL[/h]

<!-- /.block -->
<style>.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>
Post date:
19 Dec 2014 - 5:36am

<ins id="aswift_0_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_0" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_0" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

Yesterday at about 3:30pm, a section of a false ceiling at Westgate Mall collapsed inward after heavy rain leaving a 1m wide hole in the ceiling.

Large chunks of the ceiling fell onto the fourth floor, narrowly missing about 3 to 4 shoppers who were passing by the area.

The area where it occurred has several shops and a lifestyle gym for young children.

Shopkeepers near the incident reported that when it rains heavily, the ceiling usually leaks but this time, it leaked heavier than normal.

Suddenly, there was a loud crash and large pieces of plaster came crashing down.

<ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

Shortly after the collapse, mall staff cordoned off the area and started mopping the area up.

The Mall manager said that the mess was cleaned up in 15 minutes and there was no injuries as a result.

Tags:
Current Affairs

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys have never seen how the waters from Tsunamis destroyed the entire Japanese coastal towns and Aceh province and killed hundreds of thousands? Oh some Singaporeans are nearly hurt because of falling debris..

Our self important egos are hurt..bummer.

Last edited:

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember reading about how someone died at IMM from a falling wall. It happened many years ago & I think they were renovating the place.

I'm more concerned with a miscalculation by the architects. With so much construction going on I expect something major to happen like Orchard Rd collapsing:eek: There are now so many underground tunnels being built e.g. the Tang/Ion, Centrepoint/Emerald/Somerset area.

...u r talking about man-made and natural disaster..... is 2 different thingy..dude

Sorry..its to Sochi