• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stamford Bridge thread: BLUE is the Colour

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former FA chairman Triesman: Terry has damaged Chelsea's international reputation

The former England captain has been accused of tarnishing the image of the Blues since the FA charged the defender with racially abusing an opponent and banned him for four games

Oct 14, 2012 6:52:00 AM

By Matt Davis

116608hp2.jpg

John Terry has been accused of tarnishing Chelsea's international reputation after the Englishman was found guilty of racism by the FA.

The defender has also been fined £220,000, and is yet to be disciplined by Chelsea following the outcome of the FA charge after he was found guilty of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

Lord Triesman, the former FA chairman, has lashed out at Chelsea and is far from impressed by their handling of the situation.

He told The Mirror: “Large numbers of *people around the world, especially black people, will read about what has happened. And they will wonder how on earth did Chelsea allow that?
“The club’s international reputation has suffered. Its brand has been damaged.

“They should be saying it isn’t *acceptable as a standard of behaviour.

“If I was a Chelsea fan I wouldn’t be happy that my club was getting this kind of negative coverage.

“If it happened with any other business corporation, like Coca-Cola say, an *employee would have been in serious trouble with that organisation.”

Triesman was in charge of the FA between 2008 and 2010 but is now urging clubs to introduce their own policies to discipline behaviour such as racial abuse by using harsher punishments to send out a message to their young fans.

He continued: “Footballers are role models.

“When I was a referee in the 1970s the kids would copy the actions of their heroes they’d seen on televison the night before.

“So it’s not true to say that what stars do on the pitch won’t influence youngsters. I think clubs like Chelsea – and Liverpool during the Luis Suarez saga – have responsibilities to the next generation.
Clubs should tell their very highly-paid employees what standards are expected of them.

“I think Terry should apologise and accept it’s not a good *standard. I just don’t believe in this day and age that anybody can think that it’s OK, and that you don’t owe an *apology for something like that.”

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chelsea seek advice over formal complaint

ESPN can reveal that Chelsea are conducting an internal enquiry, led by independent legal counsel, to determine whether the club should go ahead with a formal complaint to the FA regarding the conduct of referee Mark Clattenburg.

Chelsea are eager to satisfy themselves that they have a legally enforceable case before carrying on their formal complaint. The club have so far only complained to the match observer, and not, as yet, formally to the FA.

ESPN understands that owner Roman Abramovich and the club's hierarchy have given this internal enquiry high priority to establish firm ground for a complaint, given that Clattenburg is mounting a strong defence of his own, and that allegations now exist over a confrontation with the referee after the match in the changing rooms.

Key to the club's next step will be the delivery of the assessment of how strong their case is against Clattenburg. The legal team are conducting vigorous interviews and assessing written evidence from the players involved.

John Obi Mikel, Juan Mata, Ramieres and David Luiz are the players at the centre of the alleged "inappropriate language" used on the pitch. The two Brazilians told Mikel of the comment made to him by the referee, while Mata was also allegedly singled out for a verbal abuse.

Regardless of whether Chelsea feel they are on firm ground to persue a formal complaint, the Football Association will not be deflected in their own enquiries. The FA are moving at rapid speed in gathering the evidence on the Clattenburg case, and have not been delayed by the police investigation into the incident.

ESPN can disclose that the Metropolitan Police have been in touch with the FA, but did not request the governing body halt their own investigation and possible disciplinary action.

After discussions between the FA and the police, the FA are continuing to collate all relevant evidence before deciding whether to bring any disrepute charges, not only against Clattenburg, but also Chelsea players for the alleged incident in the referees' changing rooms after the game.

The FA were universally pilloried for being forced to put their enquiries into the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand disciplinary issue when the police brought charges that were dealt with in the Magistrates court.

That caused a delay that lasted virtually a year before Terry was banned for four games. This time, the FA are keen to press ahead as quickly as possible with their own investigation ahead of any police action.

If the police brought charges, it would then become a legal issue for the FA to decide what action to take, if any, or allow the police to persue the case, as happened with Terry.

Players union leader Gordon Taylor has already voiced his concerns over any similar delay in dealing with allegations of a racial nature involving Clattenburg, which the referee strongly denies.

The FA have received reports from Clattenburg's two assistants, and are now taking a personal statement from Clattenburg himself. However, they are refusing to confirm the format of their enquiries or just how quickly they plan to make a full statement on the issue.

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chelsea urge fans to get 'freaky'

With their Capital One Cup game taking place against Manchester United on Halloween, October 31, the club have encouraged fans to turn up in fancy dress - preferably of the frightening kind.

"Wednesday night sees Chelsea take on Manchester United in the League Cup and it's sure to be a brilliant match, but it also happens to be Halloween - the spookiest night of the year!" the club's website read.

"We want all bridgekids who have tickets for the game to come along early and wear their best Halloween outfits so that we can help scare the United players and help the Blues get a win.

"Get yourself dressed up - it's going to be FREAKY!" Not to mention, of course, potentially furious.

The club's latest game against Manchester United comes only three days after the controversial match on Sunday which resulted in FA and police investigations into alleged "inappropriate language" by referee Mark Clattenburg.

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Warnock 'disgusted' by Chelsea complaint

Leeds United manager Neil Warnock has criticised Chelsea's decision to file a complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg by accusing the club of "disgusting" behaviour and "trying to kill" the official.

Clattenburg is being investigated by both the Football Association and police after Chelsea alleged that he used "inappropriate language" with reference to two of their players in Sunday's match against Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

But Warnock, who was manager of Queens Park Rangers at the time of the incident involving John Terry and Anton Ferdinand at Loftus Road last year, has defended the referee.

Clattenburg's most high-profile decision was to dismiss Fernando Torres for diving, with replays suggesting he was fouled by Jonny Evans, and Warnock doubts whether a complaint would have been made had Chelsea won the game.

He told talkSPORT: "You know my relationship with referees but I have got to say I am disgusted with what's gone on. I'm on Mark Clattenburg's side.

"We ask referees to man-manage and that's what he does. I'm sure he might have said a few things but are you telling me if Chelsea had won that game that there would have been one iota of a complaint?

"He's not had the best of games but the Torres one was the one decision he got slightly wrong. I think he has made a mistake but they are trying to kill him and I don't agree with that at all."

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Met Police launch Clattenburg probe

The Metropolitan Police has launched an investigation into allegations made by Chelsea of "inappropriate language" from referee Mark Clattenburg directed at two of their players.

The police investigation follows an announcement from the FA on Monday that it has launched its own probe into the events which are alleged to have taken place during Sunday's 3-2 home defeat to Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

A police statement read: "An investigation has been launched into alleged comments made during a football match between Chelsea FC and Manchester United FC at Stamford Bridge on 28 October 2012.

"This follows on from a complaint received by the Metropolitan Police Service on 29 October. Officers from Hammersmith & Fulham borough are in liaison with Chelsea Football Club and the Football Association. "At this time, the MPS has not received any complaint from either Chelsea Football Club, or the Football Association."

Chelsea have not made any complaint to police at this stage, and Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "Involving police or waiting causes a massive festering of the issue, which has continued to cause problems and is not good for the image of the game.

"Football has got to be confident enough to deal with it. I have said that to the House of Commons, the FA Council. We need to grasp the nettle and show we are more than capable of dealing with it."

He added: "I'm quite concerned that when this happened with the John Terry and Anton Ferdinand incident, the process got elongated. This time, I want football to learn from it and deal with it as transparently as possible.

"In football, the penalties can be severe. In a court of law, the penalty for racial abuse would be a small amount in comparison to what the FA could fine."

Chelsea lodged a complaint with the match observer following the game over what they claim were racist and xenophobic comments made by Clattenburg towards midfielders John Obi Mikel and Juan Mata.

Chelsea's complaint is that Mikel was the victim of a racist comment, while Spain midfielder Mata was allegedly called a "Spanish t**t" by Clattenburg.

The 37-year-old official will strongly plead his innocence when the FA interviews him over the alleged incidents, ESPN has learned.

Clattenburg has vowed to co-operate fully with their inquiries and is understood to be determined to clear his name. He has been offered the backing of the referees' union, although he has been removed from the list of referees for this weekend's fixtures in light of the allegations made against him.

The FA is yet to interview Clattenburg but is expected to do so, possibly after requesting a written account from him about what took place. He has already filed what is known as an 'extraordinary incident report', which is understood to mainly deal with a meeting which is alleged to have taken place in the referees' room after the match.

Donor

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Romeu: Mata heard nothing from ref

Chelsea's Juan Mata was not aware of any comments referee Mark Clattenburg is alleged to have directed at him during Sunday's defeat to Manchester United, according to his Spanish team-mate Oriol Romeu.

The European champions and Premier League leaders lodged an official complaint against Clattenburg following the weekend's controversial clash at Stamford Bridge by what they claim were racist and xenophobic comments made by the official towards two of their players, Mata and John Obi Mikel.

Chelsea's complaint is that Mikel was the victim of a racist comment, while Spain midfielder Mata was allegedly called a "Spanish t**t" by Clattenburg.

The FA announced on Monday that it would be conducting an official investigation, while the Metropolitan Police also confirmed they have received a complaint.

The Professional Game Match Officials organisation has confirmed that Clattenburg will not officiate a match this weekend stating, "that with any football match the focus should not be on the officials but on the players and the game itself"

But Romeu, one of four Spanish players in the Chelsea squad along with Mata, Fernando Torres and Cesar Azpilicueta, said that neither he nor any of his compatriots heard Clattenburg say anything untoward.

The Sun quoted the former Barcelona midfielder as telling Spanish radio station Cadena Cope: "Neither Juan nor Fernando told me they heard it because from what I have understood they didn't hear anything.

"It was someone else who heard it, but not directly at them. It was another player who heard it and that is what they told me.

"I didn't hear anything as I left quickly to go home but after talking to Juan he told me there was some problem and he had to stay.

"I only know Chelsea made a complaint and I think there could really be a problem if what Chelsea players say happened really happened."

Oriol, who was an unused substitute for the match in which Chelsea had Torres and Branislav Ivanovic sent off and lost to a controversial goal from Javier Hernandez, added: "If there was really a racist comment or something said against a Spanish player this will be serious.

"We know in this country people are very vigilant about these issues."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea announce annual profit for first time since 2003

The Blues have released details of their €1.75m profit for the previous financial year, thanks to the fifth-largest revenue in Europe and a €36m profit from transfer activity

Nov 9, 2012 4:45:00 PM
By Tim Poole

104834hp2.jpg

Chelsea have announced an annual profit of €1.75m for the year ending 30th June 2012.

The declaration marks the first time the Blues have made a profit since Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

And the club also announced a record group turnover of €319.8m, putting the Stamford Bridge outfit into fifth in Europe in terms of generated revenue.

Chelsea’s profits in 2011/12 are a significant improvement on their €84.9m loss for the previous financial year, while they also made a €36m profit in the transfer market.

The figures do not include the lavish investment spent on the likes of new recruits Eden Hazard and Oscar, as the money was spent in the new financial year.

However, Chelsea’s successful financial year will still not go unnoticed and was hugely attributable to the increased revenue gained from their Champions League win in May – which rose from €278.4m this previous year.

In addition, the club were able to secure numerous commercial deals off the pitch and the overall impact has delighted chief executive Ron Gourlay.

He said: “'Our club philosophy is built on success. We had that success on the field this year, as we were the first London team to win the Champions League, and we enjoyed it off the field as well and this helps us inject financial investment into the team.

“The big challenge is always to have a successful team on the field that wins trophies and to make a profit at the same time.

“The objectives have been set across the whole business, from the academy to under-21s and all the way through to the first team.”

The figures place Chelsea in a much healthier position to deal with Uefa’s upcoming Financial Fair Play regulations and chairman Bruce Buck was similarly pleased by the announcements.

He said: “We will never forget that night in Munich and now we are celebrating serious progress off the field too.

“While we draw huge satisfaction from the achievements of the past 12 months we are more than ever focused on continuing the story of on-field success supported by improving financial performance off the pitch.”

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea sack Di Matteo

Posted on 21/11/2012 at 17:02, updated on 21/11/2012 at 17:18

Chelsea have announced the departure of manager Roberto Di Matteo following a Champions League defeat to Juventus.

914226-15206577-640-360.jpg

Di Matteo was given the job on a permanent basis in the summer after leading Chelsea to an unexpected first Champions League triumph but a 3-0 loss in Turin, following a run of only two wins in seven games in all competitions, has brought a swift end to his reign.

A club statement read: "Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with manager Roberto Di Matteo.

"The team's recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.

"The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.

"The owner and the board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club's history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.

"The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager."

Di Matteo hinted after the loss to Juve that any questions over his future should be put to Abramovich, not him.

"At the moment, I think, with the team, we are all in it together," he said. "I'm responsible for the results and at the moment I am here and I think I will be for the future.

"But that question [about my future] is probably not one you should ask me. As far as I'm concerned, I'll keep working. But I'm responsible for the result. I'm responsible for the performance.

"It's a negative evening for us – a big disappointment for us, for the team, for the club. If anyone has to take the blame, it's me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me."

Abramovich is reportedly willing to offer Spaniard Rafa Benitez - who has been out of work since leaving Internazionale in 2010 - a deal until the end of the season. Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and reached the final in 2007.

Abramovich is believed to want to install former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola as permanent boss when his year-long sabbatical in New York comes to an end in the summer, and Benitez would appear to be the perfect stop-gap.

Di Matteo had overseen a change in playing style this season, with three attacking midfielders - usually summer signings Eden Hazard and Oscar, plus Spain star Juan Mata - employed behind a striker, with £50 million Fernando Torres finally the undisputed first choice following the exit of Didier Drogba.

However the Italian, a former playing star at Stamford Bridge, left out Torres on Tuesday, effectively playing without a front man - a bold move that backfired.

Abramovich has a trigger-happy reputation. He sacked Avram Grant after the Israeli led Chelsea to the 2008 Champions League final then disposed of his replacement Luiz Felipe Scolari after less than a season in charge following public criticism from the players.

Guus Hiddink came in on a temporary basis - alongside his duties as Russia coach - and won the Double before returning to his national job full-time.

Carlo Ancelotti was the oligarch's next victim before Andre Villas-Boas - who had enjoyed a sensational debut season with Porto, romping to the league title and winning the Portuguese Cup and Europa League - came in to instigate a change to the more fluent style that Abramovich craved.

However he also fell out with the veteran players at Chelsea, lasting only nine months before the axe fell - and Di Matteo steadied the ship, taking a more pragmatic Chelsea to that famous European triumph in Munich against Bayern.

Benitez was approached about taking over from Villas-Boas, but was unwilling to do so at that time.

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gullit: If you win something at Chelsea you get sacked

The Dutchman has hit out at his former club for dismissing Roberto Di Matteo and suggests that the west London outfit have Jose Mourinho lined up for a return

Nov 21, 2012 2:37:00 PM
By Tom J Doyle

122929hp2.jpg

Former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit has expressed his dismay at the dismissal of Roberto Di Matteo.

The 42-year-old was given his marching orders on Wednesday morning after a 3-0 defeat to Juventus left the Blues' European hopes hanging by a thread.

But the Dutchman believes Roman Abramovich was wrong to sack the former Italy international, due to his FA Cup and Champions League successes last term.

"If you win something at Chelsea you get sacked. If you don't win you can stay for a long time," he told Sky Sports News.

"It's sad for Robbie. He hasn't even been there a year in charge. It's unbelievable, but it's part of being a coach.

"I already had a very good feeling when he won the Champions League maybe they had somebody else in the frame, but I don't think they took any notice of the fact that Robbie could win it."

Gullit went on to claim that the Chelsea hierarchy may have already lined up a return to Stamford Bridge for Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho.

He continued: "I always had the feeling Mourinho was in the frame because he signed his contract with Real Madrid just after Chelsea won the Champions League.

"His record says everything - a lot of people would love to see him in England."

The former Netherlands international also criticised the club's board for attempting to emulate Barcelona, insisting the Catalan giants are unique in football.

"We thought the main thing for Chelsea was to win the Champions League, but they still sacked the manager," he added.

"The board wants to play the same sort of football as Barcelona, but Barcelona is Barcelona.

"They want to copy something that you can't - and Barcelona have Messi. Don't put away your own identity, because sometimes you can't copy something."

Gullit also dismissed any potential return to Stamford Bridge for himself, saying: "I'm busy with my own things. I wouldn't feel comfortable to come after Robbie because he's a very good friend of mine."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Benitez confirmed as new Chelsea boss

The 52-year-old former Liverpool and Inter manager takes charge of the Blues until the end of the season following the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo on Wednesday morning

Nov 21, 2012 7:32:00 PM
By Jay Jaffa

171357hp2.jpg

Rafael Benitez has been confirmed as Chelsea's new manager, after the club sacked Roberto Di Matteo in the aftermath of Tuesday's 3-0 Champions League defeat to Juventus.

The 52-year-old takes charge of the European champions on an interim basis until the end of the current campaign after spending almost two years out of work following his dismissal at Inter.

A statement on the club's official website read: "The owner and the Board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives.

"The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet the players at the training ground in Cobham tomorrow [Thursday]."

Benitez will take charge of his second Premier League club after a successful six-year spell at Liverpool between 2004 and 2010.

His time on Merseyside led to success in Europe as he won the club's fifth European Cup in his second season in 2005, while he also secured the FA Cup a year later.

Roman Abramovich relieved Di Matteo of his duties on Wednesday morning despite the Italian guiding the club to their maiden Champions League trophy and a seventh FA Cup last season.

Di Matteo signed a two-year deal in the summer, but has seen his position questioned almost continually since with Pep Guardiola thought to wanted by the Russian oligarch to lead the club.

Benitez becomes the ninth Blues manager in nine years in the Abramovich era.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Benitez appointment leaves Chelsea fans furious with out-of-touch club

The former Liverpool boss is the antithesis of what Blues followers want from a manager, while supporters remain furious over the treatment of club legend Roberto Di Matteo

Nov 21, 2012 8:00:00 PM

126906hp2.jpg

COMMENT
By Dan Levene | Blues Chronicle

Chelsea fans were already in uproar at the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo, just six months after winning the Champions League. Now the focus of their frustration has switched to the man who is next in the hot-seat.

Rafael Benitez, identified almost entirely with his time at Liverpool, has been confirmed as the man to replace Di Matteo. He is the antithesis of what Chelsea fans want from a manager.

A man without the charisma of Mourinho, the credibility of Ancelotti, or the homeliness of Di Matteo - there is already talk of a harsh fan reaction to his appointment.

The belief among those I have spoken to is that Benitez has always benefited from the squads built by others: Hector Cuper at Valencia, Gerard Houllier at Liverpool.

His transfer record at Anfield includes a litany of £8m-£10m footballers, who ended up playing like £1m-£2m cloggers. They say his football is turgid, his identity forever Scouse. He simply is not who the Chelsea supporters want to lead the club.

If the club did not already know that, then they are even more out of touch with Chelsea fans than had previously been thought. Even more out of touch than a club that has just sacked one of the greatest heroes its fans have ever worshipped.

Chelsea knew when they appointed Di Matteo as assistant manager to Andre Villas-Boas back in summer 2011 that they were getting two things: a coach, and a legend.

The latter was the reason he was able to stabilise the club in the aftermath of Villas-Boas' sacking in March: fans, people around the club, players all trusted his knowledge, experience and passion in a time of trouble.

Now, as he is sacked for being apparently lacking in the coaching department, the club has difficulty in ridding itself of a legendary status that has only grown in his second period at Stamford Bridge.

In the hours since news broke, Chelsea supporters have clamoured to social media to reveal the scale of their discontent.

People have talked of their shame at the club's actions, and their sense of loss arising from the dismissal of someone they coinsidered one of their own. A common theme is that Chelsea's hierarchy have reduced the club to the status of a laughing stock.

Di Matteo 'got' Chelsea. He understood the fans. He knew that there was no greater victory than one over Tottenham (he managed two: 5-1 at Wembley, and 4-2 at White Hart Lane).

He knew that this is a club for whom hard-times meant something other than the potential failure to qualify from a Champions League group.

But he also knew that times and expectations had moved on: and that he was partly responsible for that.

No true match-going Chelsea fan I know likes managers being sacked. We cherish loyalty, and to abandon or abuse one of our own is most definitely not 'proper Chels'.

This sacking hurts. The sackings of Jose Mourinho and Carlo Ancelotti hurt too, but this seems to have hurt more. Because he was a link with the old Chelsea; because of what we went through together.

And ultimately because of success: Di Matteo is the only manager in Chelsea history to have out-specialed The Special One. The fact he has now been replaced by Benitez will be a bitter pill for the fans to swallow.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Matteo 'honoured' to manage Chelsea after sacking

The Italian has issued a statement through the League Managers' Association and lists last season's Champions League win with the club as the finest achievement of his career

Nov 21, 2012 11:50:00 PM
By Jordan Halford

231295hp2.jpg

Roberto Di Matteo has insisted it was "an honour" to have managed Chelsea, following his sacking on Wednesday morning.

The Italian was shown the door by Roman Abramovich just hours after the Blues were beaten 3-0 by Juventus to leave their Champions League hopes hanging by a thread.

Rafael Benitez has been hired as the 42-year-old's replacement, while the former midfielder has hailed last season's European triumph with the Blues as the greatest achievement of his entire career.

In a statement released via the League Managers Association, Di Matteo said: "It was an honour for me to be appointed manager of a club that I loved playing for and one that is so close to my heart.

"I am extremely proud of the successes and trophies that we were able to bring to the club in recent months.

"Lifting Chelsea's first Champions League trophy, in Munich, was the best achievement in club history and without doubt the highlight of my career to date, both as a player and manager.

"It is a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

"I have a deep and unreserved passion for Chelsea Football Club and I would like to sincerely thank all of the staff, my players and of course the Chelsea fans, for their tremendous and unconditioned support in the intense time I have been the manager at the Bridge.

"I wish all of them every success for the rest of the season and beyond."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have decided that all dead woods must go.

Lampard confirms Chelsea exit

410473_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Jun 2, 2014 7:02:00 PM

The 35-year-old, who scored a club record 211 goals during his time in West London, has not been offered a new deal by Jose Mourinho and will join Ashley Cole in leaving the Blues

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has confirmed he will leave the club this summer after 13 years at Stamford Bridge.

The England international made 648 apperances for the Blues after moving from West Ham United in 2001, scoring a club record 211 goals, but manager Jose Mourinho has chosen not to offer the veteran a new deal.

At 35, Lampard struggled to hold down a regular place in Mourinho's line-up during the 2013-14 campaign, making just 20 starts, and though he has hinted at retiring after the World Cup, rumours persist that he will move to the MLS.

"When I arrived at this fantastic club 13 years ago I would never have believed that I would be fortunate enough to play so many games and enjoy sharing in so much success. This club has become part of my life," he said in a statement.

"Roman Abramovich, the man who saved our Club and took us all to new levels. His desire to push the Club to the top of the football world has rubbed off on everyone.

"All the managers and coaches who have helped me develop my game during the time I have been here. I have learnt from every one of them.

"The club will move forward and as a Chelsea man I have no doubt that with the quality of the players that are there, they will continue with the success that we have all enjoyed over the past seasons.

"Thank you for the memories and keep making history!"

Lampard leaves Chelsea as one of the club's most successful players in their history, having won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two League Cups, the Champions League and the Europa League.

He joins international team-mate Ashley Cole in leaving the club, with Samuel Eto'o also set to leave as Mourinho looks to build on a trophyless season in West London.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Factbox - Departing Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard

LONDON Mon Jun 2, 2014 8:16pm BST

Frank-Lampard-chelsea.jpg

(Reuters) - Here are five facts about Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard, who announced on Monday he was leaving the club after 13 years.

Born: June 20, 1978 in Romford, London

* Comes through the youth ranks at West Ham United and after a loan spell at Swansea City, establishes himself as a mainstay of the Hammers' midfield from 1996 to 2001 under his uncle and manager Harry Redknapp. His father Frank Senior is Redknapp's assistant.

* Makes his England debut on Oct 10, 1999 and goes on to make 103 appearances, featuring in two World Cups, Euro 2004 and being selected a vice captain for the 2014 World Cup.

* Leaves West Ham acrimoniously for Chelsea in an 11 million pound ($18.4 million) move in 2001 and after a slow first two seasons, he becomes one of the best goalscoring midfielders in the world.

* Wins the 2005 and 2006 Premier League titles with Chelsea under Jose Mourinho and the 2010 trophy under Carlo Ancelotti. Also helps the Blues lift the 2012 Champions League and 2013 Europa League as well as four FA Cups and two League Cups.

* Becomes Chelsea's all-time leading goalscorer and goes on to net 211 goals in all competitions for the club.($1 = 0.5968 British Pounds)

(Writing by Mark Meadows, editing by Alan Baldwin)

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard handed Chelsea No. 10 shirt next season

LONDON Tue Jun 3, 2014 10:30pm BST

r

Belgium's Eden Hazard (L) scores a goal past Sweden's Rasmus Bengtsson (R) during their international friendly soccer match in Stockholm June 1, 2014. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins

(Reuters) - Chelsea have announced Eden Hazard is to wear the number 10 shirt next term, effectively scotching media reports that the Belgium World Cup winger could be leaving the club in the close season.

Hazard had been tipped to join team mate David Luiz at Paris St Germain. Terms have been agreed between the clubs and the Brazil World Cup defender is on the brink of completing a move to the Ligue 1 champions.

"I am very pleased to be able to wear the number 10 for Chelsea," Hazard told the club's website (www.chelseafc.com) on Tuesday.

"It is my favourite number and is one I am used to wearing for the national team, as well as the one worn by some of my heroes from when I was a kid, like (former France playmaker) Zinedine Zidane.

"I hope it brings me a lot of luck in the future and I look forward to the fans seeing me in it next season," added Hazard after taking over the number 10 shirt from Juan Mata who was sold to Manchester United in January.

Belgium have been drawn in Group H for the World Cup in Brazil later this month, alongside Algeria, Russia and South Korea.

(Writing by Tony Jimenez, editing by Toby Davis)

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Signing of the summer? Fabregas & Chelsea are the perfect match

422166_heroa.jpg

Jun 12, 2014 5:44:00 PM

After three seasons of playing second fiddle at Barcelona, the former Arsenal captain looks the ideal choice to become the fulcrum of Jose Mourinho's new-look side

COMMENT
By Liam Twomey in Rio de Janeiro

It is no easy task to steal the limelight a matter of hours before the first match of a World Cup in Brazil, but Chelsea have managed it. The signing of Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona might have been well documented by those close to the deal for several weeks but the confirmation still creates shockwaves that are felt everywhere from London and Catalunya to Spain’s World Cup training base in Curitiba. Statement purchases don’t get much bigger.

It is, of course, Arsenal fans who will feel most aggrieved. Arsene Wenger’s decision not to take up the club’s first option on Fabregas when it became clear his future lay away from Camp Nou, knowing what would likely happen if he failed to act, could prove as defining as any in his rollercoaster reign.

The Fabregas deal may also cause considerable consternation in Manchester. Manuel Pellegrini has long admired the Spaniard, while Louis van Gaal may now be pushed closer to the injured and less proven Kevin Strootman as he searches for the midfield successor to Paul Scholes that Old Trafford is crying out for.

But their pain is Chelsea’s joy. The primal thrill that accompanies a marquee signing can only be heightened by getting one over on big rivals so publicly.

Then there is also the fact that Fabregas, despite being made the scapegoat for many of the failings of Tata Martino’s ill-fated campaign at Barcelona, remains a player blessed with spectacular talent and, at 27, one who has every reason to expect many more good years at elite level.

No player got more assists from open play (13) or created more clear-cut chances (27) in Europe’s top five leagues last season. For a team whose title challenge was waylaid by a chronic lack of imagination against the likes of West Brom, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and West Ham last term, his arrival could well provide the missing piece of the jigsaw before Diego Costa is even mentioned.

With Fabregas and Costa secured and Mourinho at the helm, Chelsea immediately assume the position of favourites to win the Premier League. And with Nemanja Matic and Mohamed Salah eligible from the start, a team which scrapped its way to the last four of the Champions League last season should be able to at least match that achievement with greater style next term.

There is no small irony in the fact that Fabregas has been the man chosen to fill the creative void so obviously left by the departure of Juan Mata in January, a player deemed by Mourinho tactically undisciplined to the point of idle luxury.

Fabregas, remember, is a player once praised by Pep Guardiola for bringing “anarchy” to his fiendishly organised pressing Barcelona side. The Bayern Munich boss, a notoriously neurotic operator, soon grew weary of trying to find a place for Fabregas within his system and left him on the bench. It will be interesting to see if Mourinho, every bit as tactically demanding of his players, can succeed where his managerial nemesis failed.

Logic suggests Fabregas will find his regular home alongside Matic at the base of a Chelsea midfield which now appears to tick all the boxes. Mourinho may rely entirely on the giant Serb to shield his back four or partner him with the bustling Ramires to give his new signing more freedom to roam forward.

Such a role might bring him into conflict with Oscar, but the Brazilian’s limp and jaded performances in 2014 suggest another playmaker is needed to lighten the load.

These are questions Mourinho must ponder, but they are the kind any manager would relish. He now has a player who may necessitate a tweak of style but also one of genuine world-class ability who, by his own admission, has “unfinished business” in the Premier League. Chelsea will hope he wastes no time in settling it.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea hope new boy Fabregas will boost firepower

By Clare Lovell
LONDON Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46pm BST

r

Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas speaks during a news conference at the Vicente Calderon stadium in Madrid, April 8, 2014. REUTERS/Paul Hanna

(Reuters) - Chelsea will be hoping Cesc Fabregas can boost their firepower after the Barcelona midfielder agreed to sign a five-year deal with the Stamford Bridge club on Thursday.

Fabregas, 27, in Brazil with Spain's World Cup squad, will return to London after leaving Arsenal to rejoin his boyhood club in 2011.

Spanish media reported Chelsea had paid 33 million euros ($44.6 million) for the 2010 World Cup winner, with a possible three million more linked to performance.

Switching allegiance from north to south west London, he joins Jose Mourinho's Chelsea side that finished third in the Premier League and reached the semi-finals of the Champions League last season despite having trouble scoring goals.

Fabregas is likely to team up with prolific Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, a much publicised transfer target for Mourinho, at Stamford Bridge next season.

"I do feel I have unfinished business in the Premier League and now is the right time for my return," Fabregas told Barcelona's website (fcbarcelona.com).

"Everyone knows Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take this option and therefore it wasn't meant to be.

"I considered all the other offers very carefully and I firmly believe Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies."

Fabregas, who played for Barcelona as a child before joining Arsenal at the age of 16, made 151 appearances under three coaches, scoring 42 times for the Catalans but, unlike his time in north London, never proved a favourite among the fans.

SCORING FLAIR

The Spaniard's goalscoring flair will come in handy at Chelsea where compatriot Fernando Torres and his fellow strikers Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba managed fewer than 20 league goals between them last season.

Chelsea are also losing the club's all-time top scorer Frank Lampard who often scored 20 goals a season in all competitions during his 13 years at the club.

Fabregas is moving into a crowded area of the team because Chelsea have a wealth of young, attacking midfield talent in Belgium's Eden Hazard, Brazilian duo Oscar and Willian, Germany's Andre Schuerrle and Egyptian Mohamed Salah.

The Spaniard became the youngest player to turn out for Arsenal when he made his debut in 2003 at the age of 16.

Fabregas won the FA Cup with the club but other trophies eluded the Gunners and the Catalan is clearly chasing sliverware.

During his three years at Barcelona he won the league and the Spanish Cup but their superiority could be on the wane after they were eclipsed by Champions League winners Real Madrid last season and the rising force of La Liga winners Atletico Madrid.

While Fabregas has an impressive string of international honours to his name with World Cup and European Championship medals, he has, as yet, missed out on Premier League and Champions League glory.

He clearly hopes to remedy that under Mourinho who has won both trophies twice.

Fabregas joins an expanding band of Spaniards at Chelsea where Torres has said he plans to stay, Cesar Azpilicueta is settled in defence and Brazil-born Diego Costa looks likely to be leading the line when the new season opens in August.

The midfielder has been given the number four shirt vacated by Paris St Germain-bound David Luiz.

Xavi, Fabregas's 2014 World Cup colleague and former Barca team mate, said the transfer was "great news for Cesc".

"I see him looking very happy," Xavi told reporters in Salvador. "It's a great opportunity for him to be signed by a good team.

"He was hopeful it would happen. He now knows what his future holds for the next few years but of course it is a very important loss for Barcelona."

(Editing by Martyn Herman and Tony Jimenez)

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Factbox- New Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:46pm BST

(Reuters) - Factbox on Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas whose transfer to Chelsea from Barcelona on a five-year deal was announced on Thursday.

STARTING OUT

> Born May 4 1987, at Arenys de Mar, near Barcelona, Spain.

> Signed for the Barcelona youth academy aged 10.

> Represented Spain, who were runners-up to Brazil, at the FIFA under-17 World Championship in Finland, winning both the Golden Ball and the Golden Boot as the tournament's best player and its top scorer.

REACHING FOR THE TOP

> Joined Premier League side Arsenal in 2003 and became their youngest ever player aged 16 years 177 days.

> Started in midfield in the 2005 FA Cup final and helped the Gunners win the trophy against Manchester United on penalties, his only trophy for the club.

> Part of the Arsenal side that reached the 2006 Champions League final, a 2-1 loss to Barcelona.

> Named Arsenal captain in 2008. Made 303 appearances for the club scoring 57 goals.

> Ended an eight-year stay in north London to rejoin Barcelona in 2011 after establishing himself as one the game's top creative midfielders.

> Won the La Liga title, Copa del Rey, Spanish Super Cup, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup during a three-year stay at the Nou Camp.

> Returned to the Premier League to join Chelsea having played 151 matches for Barcelona, scoring 42 goals.

INTERNATIONAL STAGE

> Made his Spain debut in 2006 against Ivory Coast aged 18.

> A member of the team that won the European Championship in 2008 and 2012 and the World Cup in 2010, where he provided the assist for Andres Iniesta's winning goal in the final.

> Has played 89 games for his country scoring 13 goals and is part of the squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

(Reporting By Tom Hayward; editing by Clare Lovell)

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea youngster Kalas joins Koln on loan

421499_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Jun 11, 2014 5:04:00 PM

The Czech defender made two Premier League appearances for the Blues in 2013-14 but will continue his development at the newly-promoted Bundesliga club
Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas will join newly promoted FC Koln on a season-long loan on July 1.

The Czech, who has a solitary international cap to his name, spent two seasons on loan at Dutch outfit Vitesse Arnhem before returning to Stamford Bridge for the 2013-14 campaign.

After being handed his Chelsea debut as a late substitute in a 2-0 League Cup win at Arsenal in October, Kalas made his European bow in a last-16 home triumph over Galatasaray.

Kalas' first start for the club came in the huge 2-0 Premier League victory at Liverpool in April, and he was among the starting XI once again on the last day of the Premier League season at relegated Cardiff City.

The 21-year-old will now be hoping to pick up more first-team experience as Koln adjust to life back in the Bundesliga, after topping the second tier last term.

Kalas arrived at Chelsea from Sigma Olomouc in 2011.