• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stamford Bridge thread: BLUE is the Colour

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

127836_thumb.jpg

Cech proud of Chelsea win against Barcelona
The 29-year-old goalkeeper was delighted as his side managed to keep a clean sheet against the Catalan giants, but remains wary ahead of their second-leg trip to Camp Nou

180093_thumb.jpg

Didier Drogba - surly, theatrical, frustrating... but still Chelsea's doyen of destruction
The Ivorian striker came up trumps as he netted the winning goal to give Roberto Di Matteo's side a fighting chance in the Champions League semi-final second leg in Barcelona

180085_thumb.jpg

‘It’s still 50-50’ – Di Matteo warns of tough second leg after Chelsea beat Barcelona
Didier Drogba's first-half counterattack goal secured a 1-0 win for the Blues at Stamford Bridge but the interim coach is under no illusions about the task ahead at Camp Nou

180078_thumb.jpg

'We’ll do the business in Barcelona' - Confident Terry backs Chelsea to progress to Champions League final
The Blues skipper feels a repeat performance by his team will see them qualify for the final in Munich and was quick to praise Didier Drogba for his display against the Catalans

176525_thumb.jpg

Torres: Winning the Champions League with Chelsea would be a dream come true
Spaniard believes winning the European Cup would be "one of the greatest moments" of his life and insists he has nothing to prove against Barcelona

177509_thumb.jpg

I do not take death threats from Chelsea fans seriously - referee Tom Henning Ovrebo
The official admits to making mistakes in the Blues' Champions League semi-final defeat to Barcelona in 2009, but says he ignores any emails or letters from angry supporters

96666_thumb.jpg

Chelsea must forget about 2009 exit if they are to beat Barcelona, insists ex-Blues defender Cundy
Former centre-half believes that European champions are beatable in the Champions League if his old side deny Lionel Messi space and target goalkeeper Victor Valdes at set-pieces

144738_thumb.jpg

Beating Barcelona would put Chelsea's season right, argues Mata
Spaniard admits that the Blues have so far been unable to meet the expectations set before their campaign began and is adamant that securing a top-four spot is vital this term

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Laurent Blanc open to a return to club management with Chelsea

The France national team trainer remains uncertain over his future and admitted that if the right job came along, he would be more than willing to leave his current post

Apr 17, 2012 12:35:00 PM

By Tom Webber

172211hp2.jpg

France coach Laurent Blanc has not ruled out taking charge at Chelsea as his contract with the national team remains up for renewal.

The former Bordeaux trainer stated that he is fully focussed on the upcoming European Championship campaign with Les Bleus this summer, but hinted that he would be open to leaving his post if a more secure position arose.

"My intention is to continue with the France team. I have not changed my mind," Blanc stated in an interview with Le Parisien.

"But the situation is that my contract has not yet been extended. And I'm not the kind of guy who will keep tapping at the door. If it's clear, it's clear."

Such news will no doubt alert the bosses at Stamford Bridge as they look for their permanent replacement for Andre Villas-Boas. who was sacked back in March.

Blanc, for his part, did not play down his availability when asked about the west London outfit, suggesting that he could make the move back to club football for the right job.

"It is always gratifying to be appreciated by big clubs. My goal is the Euro. I am completely focussed on this competition.

"But I often hear that it is the chief who decides whether or not to extend a player or coach's contract. I agree, but let's not forget that the employee may decide as well."

When asked why he would sign for a club, Blanc responded: "If an exceptional challenge is proposed to me, I can very well decide to leave the French team. But that is not the case at the moment."

The 46-year-old then spoke of the difficulties Franck Ribery faces in replicating his form for Bayern Munich in the blue of the national team.

"This is incomprehensible. Ribery is very impressive with his club but he cannot do it for France. There is an obstacle, that's for sure.

"With the quality of the player, he deserves our patience, to some degree. We have faith in him, and we will try to help him. But there are other players who also need our help. Franck is not the only one."

France will kick off their Euro 2012 campaign against England on June 11 before taking on Ukraine and Sweden in their other two Group D games.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

114823_thumb.jpg

Former Chelsea & Barcelona full-back Albert Ferrer fears for the Blues' defence at Camp Nou
The Spaniard feels the visitors will tire in the return leg next week, which will provide Pep Guardiola's men with the chances they need if they are to turn the tie around

180245_thumb.jpg

Drogba wants to stay at Chelsea and will not play for another English club, says agent
The Ivorian has been in resurgent form for the Blues, scoring the winner against Barcelona, but his future is still uncertain with his contract due to expire in the summer

173356_thumb.jpg

Made by Mourinho - how Di Matteo is following Jose's template to rebuild Chelsea
The Italian has learned from the hugely successful Real Madrid coach's spell at Stamford Bridge how to transform the Blues' fortunes since taking over from Andre Villas-Boas

150043_thumb.jpg

'Chelsea can sign Willian if they meet asking price' - Shakhtar coach Lucescu
The west London outfit reportedly had a bid for the youngster rejected in January but have now seemingly been encouraged to return by the Russian club's manager

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

166516_thumb.jpg

Cahill: Draw at Arsenal is a good result for Chelsea
Defender pleased with squad rotation as goalless draw at the Emirates maintains the Blues' good form ahead of the return leg of their Champions League semi-final

173356_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo happy with Chelsea's point at Arsenal
The Blues' interim manager insists that confidence is high after securing a point against the Gunners, and thinks that the team have been fantastic since he took charge

145300_thumb.jpg

Lampard: Going back to basics is why Di Matteo is strong contender for Chelsea job
The Blues midfielder reveals why the club's ex-player and current interim manager is a likely candidate to make the permanent post at Stamford Bridge his own

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you have luck on your side, anything is possible or if you look at it in another way-if you buy players from the Emirates, you gunna lose bigtime! Cesc Fabregasc is jinx!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fabregas was a fucking diver... Drogba never touched him and he fell.
Just as blatant as Ashley Young.

Well done Chelsea.

Despite all these:
1) Down to ten men

2) All the main central defenders were injured or sent off.

3) 2 goals down to Barca at Camp Nou.

4) Referee very biased against Chelsea.

Still managed to eliminate Barcelona.

48739aac3ec757c3b474fda292526a89-getty-510477702.jpg

Torres scored 50m pound goal.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I let the lads down but I'm delighted' - John Terry apologises for red card in Chelsea's win over Barcelona

The Chelsea skipper apologised to his team-mates following his sending off in the Nou Camp, but expressed his delight at reaching the final

Apr 24, 2012 11:10:00 PM

By Al Hain-Cole

181482hp2.jpg

Chelsea captain John Terry has apologised for his red card during his side's 2-2 draw againstBarcelona but insisted his dismissal must not tarnish the celebrations after the Blues book themselves a place in the Champions League final.

The Chelsea captain was handed a straight red card in the 37th minute after kneeing Alexis Sanchez in the back during a collision, which now means the 31-year-old is suspended for the final in Munich next month.

"Sanchez was darting in behind me at the time. I've seen the replay and it does look bad but I'm not the kind of player to intentionally hurt anyone," Terry told Sky Sports.

"I've raised my knee which maybe I shouldn't have done in hindsight. Hopefully the people out there who know me as a player and a person know I'm not that kind of player.

"I feel like I've let my team-mates down and I've apologised to them and I want to apologise to the Chelsea fans as well.

"No, I don't have any complaints about the red card. At the time I was bewildered because I was trying to protect myself a little bit but looking at it on the replay it does look like a red card.

"No complaints having seen the replay. As I've said I've let the lads down but they've performed brilliantly so hopefully this doesn't take anything away from their performance and the way they worked together as a team."

The Blues seemed out of it just before half-time, as goals from Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta either side of Terry's red card looked to have put the tie beyond Roberto Di Matteo's men.

However, Ramires raced on to a fine Frank Lampard through ball to lob Victor Valdes and give Chelsea a glimmer of hope going into the interval.

And when Lionel Messi missed a penalty early in the second half it seemed that it might just be Chelsea's day, a suspicion that was confirmed when Fernando Torres scored a breakaway goal in the final minute to seal a dramatic victory.

Terry believes the club fully deserve their place in the Champions League final and hailed his side's turnaround in the second half of the season.

"Obviously I'm disappointed but absolutely delighted for the lads to come here and perform they way they did and get that result with 10 men.

"The lads deserve to be there and it is massive and so important for the football club. Three or four months ago no one would have predicted we would be in this position so I am delighted.

"On a personal note of course I am disappointed to miss the final but believe me it is what this football club deserves.

"We deserve to be in the Champions League final. We have had a bit of luck along the way in this competition so far and long may that continue. The boys were absolutely excellent."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abramovich to offer Di Matteo £750,000 bonus for Champions League triumph - report

Chelsea owner would give Italian £750,000 if the Blues won the European Cup after the 41-year-old has impressed in his 14 games in charge staking his claim for full-time job

Apr 23, 2012 11:45:00 AM

171857hp2.jpg

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has been offered a £750,000 bonus for winning the Champions League by Roman Abramovich, according to The Times.

The Russian owner has reportedly been impressed with the manner in which the 41-year-old has transformed the Blues' campaign and is set to present the Italian with the bonuses that would have been given to his predecessor Andre Villas-Boas.

Di Matteo’s wages increased last month when he became the successor to the Portuguese after his sacking however with Chelsea’s hectic fixture schedule over the past few weeks there’s been no time to renegotiate the Italian’s deal.

The 41-year-old is still on the 12-month rolling contract he signed last year when he was appointed as the club’s first-team coach.

However, Abramovich’s offer to Di Matteo which is not a legal requirement, and is an indication the Italian has emerged as a serious candidate to replace Villas-Boas on a full-time basis.

Since taking charge of team affairs last month the former Blues midfielder have won 10 out of their 14 matches, including last week’s win over Barcelona which has given them a crucial advantage in their Champions semi-final clash with resumes on Tuesday.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea squad offered €12.3m Champions League win bonus - report

Blues owner Roman Abramovich is believed to have put aside a hefty reward for the 25-man squad if they emerge victorious in next month's final in Germany

Apr 24, 2012 10:53:00 AM

179934hp2.jpg

Chelsea’s players are set to share a €12.3 million (£10m) pot set aside by club owner Roman Abramovich if they win the Champions League, according to The Sun.

The Blues hold a narrow one-goal lead going into Tuesday night’s semi-final second leg against Barcelona and would have to defeat either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid in the final, should they reach it.

It has always been suggested that Europe’s most coveted competition is the Russian billionaire’s key target and the 45-year-old is reportedly ready to hand €429,000 (£350,000) to each member of the 25-strong Champions League squad.

Chelsea interim boss Roberto Di Matteo is still yet to agree on an increase to his salary since replacing Andre Villas-Boas seven weeks ago, but is thought to be in line for a €612,000 (£500,000) 'thank you' for his efforts in turning the club around.

The Stamford Bridge backroom staff are also believed to be in for a bonus should the west London outfit emerge triumphant at the Allianz Arena next month.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lesson of the day : When you are two goals up and your opponent is down to 10 man, you should protect your lead and defend like mad and counter attack.

159946191201cebbdf8440ba58dea9cd55205c6b.jpg

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

177725_thumb.jpg

Juventus keeping tabs on Ivanovic - report
The Old Lady are believed to be interested in signing the Blues defender in the summer transfer window, and are also monitoring the progress of two Brescia youngsters

182369_thumb.jpg

Marin reveals he snubbed Tottenham in order to secure 'dream' Chelsea move
Germany international winger is set to move to Stamford Bridge after three years with the Green-Whites, and believes his new club will offer a new challenge

178121_thumb.jpg

Lampard: I want to emulate Giggs & Scholes at Chelsea
The Blues midfielder reveals he will begin discussions on a new contract in the summer and is looking to play into his late 30s, like the Manchester United duo

181622_thumb.jpg

Hughes: Di Matteo deserves Chelsea job permanently
The QPR boss says the Italian should be given the manger's role on a full-time basis after guiding the Blues to both the FA Cup and Champions League finals

179484_thumb.jpg

Malouda reveals 'doubts' over Chelsea future
The Frenchman has one year left on his current deal with the Blues, but his time at Stamford Bridge could be up with the summer arrival of German playmaker Marko Marin

158727_thumb.jpg

Chelsea in the Champions League final is awful, says Frank de Boer
The Dutch legend was far from impressed with the negative manner in which Roberto Di Mateo's men booked their place for the showpiece of Europe's elite club competition

182369_thumb.jpg

Chelsea sign Werder Bremen playmaker Marin
Blues wrap up deal to bring the 23-year-old German international to Stamford Bridge next season in a deal reported to be worth up to £6.5 million

156375_thumb.jpg

Hughes: Premier League wanted QPR to give Chelsea a guard of honour
Hoops manager has claimed that the league's authorities asked his side to applaud their west London rivals amid concerns over the John Terry-Anton Ferdinand handshake issue

165809_thumb.jpg

Chelsea defender Cahill pleased to be building relationship with Luiz
The England international talked about his improving understanding with his Brazilian team-mate and can't believe the turnaround at Stamford Bridge since Di Matteo's arrival

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

182776_thumb.jpg

Torres: Chelsea still want top-four finish despite reaching Champions League final

The 28-year-old has been delighted with the Blues' recent displays in important games, but suggested that his own performances have dipped despite his hat-trick against QPR

182745_thumb.jpg

Torres rediscovers lethal touch as hat-trick rounds off perfect week for Chelsea

The £50 million striker scored his first treble for the Stamford Bridge outfit as the Blues hammered QPR 6-1 to follow up their magnificent draw in Barcelona

181468_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Ramires reveals what it felt like to receive booking that bans him from Champions League final

Blues' Brazilian midfielder says the moment he received the yellow card it felt as though his whole world had collapsed, as he is now suspended from showpiece with Bayern Munich

181622_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Di Matteo wants yellow card suspensions to be overturned for Champions League final

The Blues' interim manager would welcome a reprieve for the three players from both sides who are banned for the Munich showpiece next month but admitted it is unlikely to happen

177725_thumb.jpg

Ivanovic calls for Di Matteo to be appointed Chelsea's permanent manager

Stamford Bridge's Serbian defender believes the Italian deserves to be offered the post - even if Blues suffer defeats to Liverpool and Bayern Munich in the forthcoming cup finals

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roma close in on Villas-Boas after Luis Enrique tells club he wants to quit

The former Chelsea manager has held talks with the Serie A club, who have been informed by their current boss that he will leave at the end of the season

May 2, 2012 12:20:00 PM

167920hp2.jpg

By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent

Andre Villas-Boas is close to reaching an agreement with Roma to become their new manager, Goalcom has learned.

The former Chelsea boss is the No.1 choice of the Serie A club to replace current manager Luis Enrique, who is poised to leave the Stadio Olimpico at the end of the season.

Goalcom understands that Luis Enrique has already informed general manager Franco Baldini and director of football Walter Sabatini of his intention to exit Roma when the campaign is finished.

Sources say that the former Barcelona B coach is “burnt out” and “exhausted” by the events of a season in which he has failed to win over Roma supporters and the media.

The Giallorossi are seventh in Serie A with two league games to play and their faint hopes of Champions League qualification were all but ended by Tuesday night’s 0-0 draw against Chievo.

Enrique has 13 months to run on the two-year, €2.9m-a-year contract he signed last June and talks will open shortly on the terms of a severance pay-off.

Villas-Boas is understood to be the No.1 choice of Roma ahead of Italy manager Cesare Prandelli, whose earliest availability would not be until after this summer’s European Championships.

Goalcom revealed in March that Villas-Boas had held talks with Baldini at a Chelsea restaurant near the Italian’s London residence about the Portuguese taking over at Roma next season.

Villas-Boas, who was coming to the end of his ill-fated Stamford Bridge reign, told Baldini, who left the England set-up last October to join Roma, that he feared the axe from owner Roman Abramovich and would be keen to take over the American-owned Italian club.

The Portuguese was dismissed by Chelsea nine months into his reign with a record of just 18 wins in 40 matches after being hired at great expense from Porto last June.

He had a meeting with Roma officials while he was still at Porto but the Serie A club were put off by the £13.3m (€15m) release clause in his contract, which was paid by Abramovich to take him to Stamford Bridge.

Goalcom understands that Villas-Boas will not be given more than a three-year contract by the Italian club.

The future of Luis Enrique has been in doubt for some time, with Sabatini admitting on Tuesday night that the Spaniard could leave the club.

“We don’t want to think of a future without Luis Enrique, but perhaps he considers himself to be a problem, an obstacle for the future of the team” Sabatini told Sky Sport Italia.

“He has to take into account that our support is not academic, but it’s real. He has to reflect with serenity and then make the best decision. We will certainly talk it over together at the end of the season and make our evaluations.

“We’re at the start of a path and we know that we have to implement the team in the right way. We’re active, not static. We’re doing what we have to.”

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

183539_thumb.jpg

Bayern or bust: Di Matteo gambling by putting all his Champions League eggs in one basket
Team selection in 2-0 loss to Newcastle served as reminder that Chelsea squad is only as strong as its last result and now May 19 final in Munich has taken on extra significance

181242_thumb.jpg

Di Matteo refuses to give up Chelsea's fight for top four finish
Blues boss defends his team selection after 2-0 at home to Newcastle all but extinguishes the club’s ambition of securing Champions League football through domestic campaign

154317_thumb.jpg

Badstuber: Chelsea won't be as defensive as against Barcelona in Champions League final
The Germany international believes that the Blues won't solely focus on defending in the upcoming showpiece against the Bundesliga giants

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea announce Battersea stadium bid

The new ground would hold a larger capacity and is not too far from Stamford Bridge, although the club have admitted that no decision has been made on their current home

May 4, 2012 3:20:00 PM

By Miles Chambers

183887hp2.jpg

Chelsea have announced plans to build a 60,000-seater stadium after bidding for the 39-acre Battersea Power Station site.

There has been clamour from some supporters for the Blues to remain at Stamford Bridge but the club are unable to expand the current stadium for a host of reasons, one being planning permission.

Chelsea have pursued plans to move to the nearby area but admitted that no definite decision on the future of their current ground has yet been made.

A statement on their official website reads: “Chelsea Football Club can confirm to our fans that we have today [Friday] submitted an offer, with our property development partner Almacantar, to acquire the 39-acre Battersea Power Station site.

“Battersea Power Station is one of London's most famous buildings and has the potential to become one of the most iconic football stadiums in the world.“Our joint bid was submitted in accordance with the sales process established by the Joint Administrators for the site. The process could run for a number of months.

“We are not the only interested parties and there is no certainty that we will be successful.

“We also appreciate that we have many significant hurdles to address if we are to build a new stadium on the site, including winning the support of our fans, the CPO shareholders and local Wandsworth residents, as well as securing the approval of Wandsworth Council, the Greater London Authority and heritage authorities.

“We must also stress that making an offer for the Battersea Power Station site does not mean the club has made a definitive decision to leave Stamford Bridge.

“The four iconic chimneys and wash towers along with the Grade II* listed west turbine hall and control room will be restored and retained in their original locations and provide a unique architectural backdrop to a world-class stadium with a capacity of around 60,000 seats.”

One of the key aspects of the new ground follows pleas from fans to improve the atmosphere by building a one-tier stand similar to that of the Kop at Anfield.

Borussia Dortmund’s Sudtribune stand at Westfalenstadion, which holds 25,000, is currently the largest in the world, a capacity which the Blues are hoping to replicate.

“Following feedback from fans, our initial plans include a 15,000-all seated one-tier stand behind the south goal, likely to be the biggest one-tier stand in football,” the statement continued.

“Also as suggested by many fans, the stadium proposed is rectangular in shape with four separate stands. The design includes a bigger family area and more room for disabled supporters.

“As well as a new home for our club, the development would include a town centre with substantial street-level retail shops, affordable housing and offices - all of which would benefit Wandsworth and bring a significant number of permanent jobs to the area.

“We would also make a significant contribution towards the Northern Line Extension, a new high-volume transport link proposed for the area.”

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool: Drogba fires Blues to FA Cup glory despite dramatic late Reds fightback

Ramires put Di Matteo's men ahead in the first half and they seemed to be cruising to victory before Andy Carroll scored one and almost grabbed a second in a late rally

By George Ankers

184115hp2.jpg

Didier Drogba scored a record-breaking fourth FA Cup final goal to seal glory for Chelsea who won 2-1 at Wembley despite an Andy Carroll-inspired Liverpool coming within millimetres of a dramatic comeback.

A quality-starved first half was punctured after only 11 minutes when Ramires capitalised on a series of Liverpool errors to burst down the right and slot into the net.

Drogba’s historic finish soon after half-time looked to have Chelsea comfortable, but Carroll came off the bench to slam home an emphatic finish shortly past the hour.

The striker thought he had pulled off an astonishing comeback in the 82nd minute when he powered a header at the far post, but somehow Petr Cech was able to claw it back before crossing the whole of the line, those few millimetres securing the Blues' triumph as they held off a furious final assault.

Kenny Dalglish opted to leave Carroll on the bench, Luis Suarez playing alone up front with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Craig Bellamy forward in support, while there was no place for stalwart defender Jamie Carragher.

Former Reds star Fernando Torres was named as a substitute for Chelsea, with Drogba chosen to lead the line, while Branislav Ivanovic partnered John Terry at the back and veteran Frank Lampard started.

After both sides spent the first 10 minutes acclimatising, an array of Liverpool errors allowed Chelsea through. Jay Spearing lost the ball in the centre, allowing Juan Mata into possession, who fed Ramires on the right. The Brazilian easily powered outside Jose Enrique before finishing calmly past Pepe Reina, who had committed to his dive far too early.

The Reds sought a quick response, some flowing football resulting in the ball falling for Bellamy just inside the Chelsea box. The Welshman hammered a fearsome snapshot but Ivanovic was on hand with a crucial block.

Both sides looked to attack as the halfway point of the first period passed, Salomon Kalou embarking on a mazy, unchallenged run into the Liverpool area before being caught out by Daniel Agger at the last minute.

The Dane himself then surged forward himself, but as he pushed on into the box, Enrique’s pass was hit slightly too hard, and the spark was snuffed out.

There was little more joy for either side, Suarez only able to stretch enough to tamely make headed contact with an inviting cross from Jordan Henderson five minutes before the break.

Chelsea opened the second period with a testing corner from Lampard, Glen Johnson displaying plenty of muscle to hold off Terry, though the Blues captain still got a desperate touch that flopped onto the top of the net.

They were on target five minutes later, though. Lampard had space to pick his pass with the Liverpool back line ahead of him, electing not to shoot but to play it in for Drogba on the edge of the area. The Ivorian took a touch and aimed through the legs of Martin Skrtel to roll his record fourth FA Cup final goal into the corner.

Dalglish threw caution to the wind by replacing the struggling Spearing with Carroll and the target man made an immediate difference.

Found by Enrique in the box, Carroll juggled and stepped over and seemed to have missed his moment to strike but instead whipped around the beaten Terry and slammed home left-footed to put Liverpool back in it.

The breakthrough woke the Reds up and they streamed forward, the substitute striker at the heart of it. His header down teed up Henderson to shoot wide from 20 yards as the crowd came alive.

Gerrard tried his luck next, attempting to meet a knock-down from over 30 yards out with a trademark howitzer, but he miscontrolled and fired wildly over the top. Carroll then came back into play as he met Enrique’s left-sided cross with a header not far off-target.

Liverpool thought the £35 million man had struck again in the 82nd minute, arriving superbly to blast a thumping header at the far post. Reds players and fans alike celebrated a goal but the referee's assistant made a superb call to point out that Cech had in fact jumped quickly enough with incredible reflex to keep the whole of the ball from crossing the whole of the line.

Dalglish's men hammered away in the final minutes with Chelsea clinging on desperately - although Skrtel had to cover for an exposed Reina at the death - but the final breakthrough just would not come and the Blues celebrated their fourth FA Cup triumph in six years.