• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Winning back Aljunied is impossible

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pap-activists-in/1532858.html

At least in 2016. One big reason - the PAP Aljunied lamb team is not united. They were a bunch of sacrificial lambs hobbled together with no experience in teamwork or leadership. With no $ to bind them like the other PAP MPs, they operate individually and disunitedly like the typical opposition parties.

Victor Lye is too flamboyant to be portrayed as a humble politician and uncharismatic to the rest to be a winning anchorman. Every media interview he accepts. The more you speak the more gaffes you make. With the other antics like taking photos with a pillar under renovation, the rest are beginning to see him as a liability.

The lawyer M Pillai likes to work quietly behind the scenes and dislikes the increasing flamboyancy of the team. Chua Eng Long, son of former minister Chua Sian Chin, sees himself as a more suitable team leader since he is a scion, and is not so because he joined in later. The other 2 are passive. Lee Hong Chuang has the benefit of working alone in Hougang and is not affected by team dynamics.

The end result will be a lacklustre and laggardly campaign. Lim Boon Heng cannot be the glue that holds them since he is a backend man.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems obvious to me that this team is a suicide squad. If they lose, then so be it. If they pull off the impossible and win, LHL will seem like a genius.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
They won't be committed to win back Aljunied. In fact, the key strategy is actually not to lose anymore GRCs. East Coast might fall, if WP can come up with a credible line-up

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Moulmein Kallang more likely !:o

If WP has a team in a new Punggol GRC, that more likely to fall than MK or EC. No other place has received more broken promises of facilities and received the least facilities in the end than Punggol. People there who bought flats earliest are living in a modern desert.

MK not easy. Very centralized and convenient and the poor are beneficiaries of PAP's welfare system.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't say impossible but an uphill task. To look at the example of HG SMC, it didn't become WP stronghold by default. LTK got voted in through teochew factor and we can deduced that voters in HG voted for LTK the teochew man rather than WP the opposition. Having captured HG, LTK laid the grassroots foundation for WP and over the years won over the trust of voters so much so it became a WP stronghold and ensured WP continue to hold on to HG even when LTK ventured out to AJ GRC. .. Compare to PP SMC where CST got problem transferring the goodwill on personal level to his party.

PAP knows very well once a ward falls into the hands of WP, it will be more difficult to win it back. Hence the more urgent task is to prevent more seats from falling into WP rather than to win back what they lost.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let it walkover lah.. Win kee lan.. PAP shit.. We are counting how many grc you are going to lose this time.. Not how many you can barely hang on to it.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I won't say impossible but an uphill task. To look at the example of HG SMC, it didn't become WP stronghold by default. LTK got voted in through teochew factor and we can deduced that voters in HG voted for LTK the teochew man rather than WP the opposition. Having captured HG, LTK cultivate the grassroots foundation for WP and over the years won over the trust of voters so much so it became a WP stronghold and ensured WP continue to hold on to HG even when LTK ventured out to AJ GRC. .. Compare to PP SMC where CST got problem transferring the goodwill on personal level to his party.

PAP knows very well once a ward falls into the hands of WP, it will be more difficult to win it back. Hence the more urgent task is to prevent more seats from falling into WP rather than to win back what they lost.

u really believe the bullshit teochew factor the govt approved media was sprouting over the years? I lived in punggol and was forced relocated to hougang in early 80s. most hougang electorate were from punggol. if u check GE result over the years, punggol voters voted resoundingly to pap since 1965. so why in 1991, the voters turned against pap?

the real reason was after forced relocation, many lost their only mean of income and fell into hardship. being illiterate or not kangtang speakers, many find it difficult to find work. Only jobs available were low paying manual work, while being farmers or fishermen also hardwork but the income were better and also can live off the land and sea. Moving to hdb mean everything also must pay. To make matter worse, they see their old lands abandoned(land bank) without development so many were bitter why they kenna forced out with only pittance compensation. so in 1991, 53% voted for WP LTK as a protest vote. I still remember watching the rally at the ave 5 park jogging track while LTK spoke on top of a lorry that was parked in blk 326 carpark. He was an unknown then so why 53% voted for him, a swing vote of 12% from 1988 result? life was really hard during 1980s recession and the ex-punggolites suffer the brunt of it.

by the way, I not teochew. my old man and mom voted for LTK in 91 and never look back.

it the same thing as the old chengsan estate which is practically also hougang. but the main dialect group in chengsan is hokkien, not teochew, so cannot use the teochew factor as a reason to explain why WP is popular over there.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LTK won the Hougang seat, worked the ground hard and very well, and won the successive elections. nobody really knows how significant was the Teochew factor. there was no opinion polls to show what percentage of the electorate voted for WP in Hougang because of LTK, the Teochew man, in successive elections. for the outsiders, it is all guesswork based on reasonable conjecture.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u really believe the bullshit teochew factor the govt approved media was sprouting over the years? I lived in punggol and was forced relocated to hougang in early 80s. most hougang electorate were from punggol. if u check GE result over the years, punggol voters voted resoundingly to pap since 1965. so why in 1991, the voters turned against pap?

The only thing that helped LTK in the Teochew factor was the communication of such hardships in Teochew language. LTK gave speeches in Teochew detailing these issues that you have listed out, triggering the memories of the non-English and non-Mandarin speaking ah peks and ah mahs.

If people voted LTK because he was a Teochew, Eric Low would have won back Hougang long time ago.

The other factor was some Teochews were familiar with LTK's fishmonger father. Fishmongers can be quite well known because Teochews like fish. Just like Lim Hock Siew's father who was a fishmonger too.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LTK won the Hougang seat, worked the ground hard and very well, and won the successive elections. nobody really knows how significant was the Teochew factor. there was no opinion polls to show what percentage of the electorate voted for WP in Hougang because of LTK, the Teochew man, in successive elections. for the outsiders, it is all guesswork based on reasonable conjecture.

but many take the teochew factors as Holy Writ.

LTK first 3 GE best result only 58% in 97GE before breaking the 60% mark in 2006GE. Not exactly opposition stronghold when compare pap safe seat of 70% and above.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Lye said communication is key to winning back the residents' trust: "The electorate is changing. We call it the 'teenager effect'. You can't speak to our children the same way we spoke to them when they were three or seven. When they are 12 or 14, the same message has to be delivered differently."

See what I mean when I said this guy is prone to gaffes. What the heck is a "teenager effect"? This is not the time to be coming up with new social theories. The last time he contradicted Lee Kuan Yew by saying PA is non-PAP.

Soon he will outdo Koh Poh Koon.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

the real reason was after forced relocation, many lost their only mean of income and fell into hardship. being illiterate or not kangtang speakers, many find it difficult to find work. Only jobs available were low paying manual work, while being farmers or fishermen also hardwork but the income were better and also can live off the land and sea. Moving to hdb mean everything also must pay. To make matter worse, they see their old lands abandoned(land bank) without development so many were bitter why they kenna forced out with only pittance compensation. so in 1991, 53% voted for WP LTK as a protest vote. I still remember watching the rally at the ave 5 park jogging track while LTK spoke on top of a lorry that was parked in blk 326 carpark. He was an unknown then so why 53% voted for him, a swing vote of 12% from 1988 result? life was really hard during 1980s recession and the ex-punggolites suffer the brunt of it.

by the way, I not teochew. my old man and mom voted for LTK in 91 and never look back.

it the same thing as the old chengsan estate which is practically also hougang. but the main dialect group in chengsan is hokkien, not teochew, so cannot use the teochew factor as a reason to explain why WP is popular over there.

I don't mean to say it the only factor but it does played a big part in establishing rapport between the voters and LTK. My relatives ( they are teochew and see LTK really as part of them) were also one of those in Ponggol affected . The main point is when WP captured a ward, it difficult to take it away due to their strong grassroots foundations and solid party organisation

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Snow 3ft deep not 1 night of freeze

AlJuniedlost they don't care one. You think care avout voters? The muther farker cares about his loss of face. If only he more H7m Chee and buy Chee.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
punggol.jpg

Hee hee! I see his face like that, I don't dare to go against him.