• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2.8k is consider low income in singapore

faithang

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is interesting to know that.

I know many people and I am talkings about 100s of million in this region don't make that kind of money in a year

Some might argue that singapore cost of living is high. Especially housing. But again, if it is 3 room flat I think that salary can still survive well. But that I mean work 8hrs and come home and relax type of lifestyle.

The low income family now is define as income below $2800/mth

NTUC disburses S$8.89m to low-income households

NTUC Assistant Secretary-General Zainal Sapari has said that the Labour Movement has disbursed S$8.89 million to low-income union members and their families in 2014 through its NTUC U Care Fund.

PHOTOSVIDEOS
Families at the NTUC U Care Back to School Fair. (Photo: Eileen Poh)
ENLARGECAPTION
SINGAPORE: The Labour Movement has disbursed S$8.89 million to low-income union members and their families in 2014, through its NTUC U Care Fund.

NTUC Assistant Secretary-General Zainal Sapari gave this update on Saturday (Dec 13) at the NTUC U Care Back to School Fair held at the National Library Building. The NTUC U Care Fund was established in 2009 and has since disbursed over S$67 million, said Mr Zainal.

Organised by the NTUC, this Back-to-School Fair is a one-stop centre for parents and children to shop for school supplies, in preparation for the new school year starting next month. The items are sold at a discount - part of NTUC's efforts to help low-income union members defray their children's educational expenses.

But more than just assisting with school-related costs, the Labour Movement has also disbursed S$1 million via its U Care Fund to its Eldercare Trust this year, to support seniors in 10 NTUC Health's day care centres.

A total of S$2 million was disbursed this year to help some 24,000 families through initiatives such as NTUC's U Stretch vouchers. The vouchers can be used at selected NTUC social enterprises including its Fairprice supermarkets, Unity pharmacies and Foodfare food courts.

Another S$3.3 million went to support 26,600 needy children via back-to-school vouchers, which help them defray their school expenses. The rest of the money goes to initiatives such as bursary and scholarship programmes, and NTUC's Bright Horizons Fund - which funds pre-school education for children from low-income families at My First Skool centres.

The money is also used to organise six runs of the Family Recreation & Fun Carnivals, held for lower-income members and their families to promote stronger family ties. To benefit more individuals, the Labour Movement is reviewing the income criteria of beneficiaries.

"Our qualifying criterion is based on the 20th income percentile, which means that the gross household income should not be more than S$2,800,” said Mr Zainal. “However, based on the figures released by MOM's household income survey, the 20th percentile income has increased and hence, we are actually reviewing our qualifying income criteria."

The income criterion was last raised in 2012, from a gross household income of S$2,200 to the current S$2,800. And when the fund was established in 2009, union members could only qualify for the vouchers if their gross household income was S$1,800 and below.

The Labour Movement says if a new income limit is set, the announcement will be made before the middle of next year, when the next round of applications for the vouchers opens.

- CNA/rw/ec

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Low ?:confused:

Give us back all OUR hard-earned CPF at age 55 NOWWW as per past practice !:mad:

It is OUR blood money from years of toiling !!:mad:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would expect the Boss here to add to this thread by quoting...

"If the cut off level to define low income keeps rising, that would show how well the PAP is running the country"..unquote ...LoL

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Depends on the average number of people in a family. If it is 2, then it's 1400. If there are tons of melayu, then the number of people may be 3 or 4

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully now the food prices would plunge now as after the collapse of fuel prices would bring some relief to the low income people.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't say 2.8k for whole family is low income..................even for 1 person is low income.............

2.8k is like what Mc Donald workers are earning in some western countries............here, it's the salary of a manager post.........

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
considering that singapore is number one in the world,u damn right 2.8k is low income.in other western countries people dont even get out of bed for less than $20/hr.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The fact that 2.8k is now considered to be "low" shows just what a good job the PAP is doing in raising income levels across the board.

I would like to thank LHL for a job well done and wish him more good years.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact that 2.8k is now considered to be "low" shows just what a good job the PAP is doing in raising income levels across the board.

I would like to thank LHL for a job well done and wish him more good years.

2.8k is household income ....if 2 wage earners ...each earns $1.4k ....that is like $7 an hour, assuming 50-hour week.
How is this consider great wage for the poor? Minimum wage in the US is much higher.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
2.8k is household income ....if 2 wage earners ...each earns $1.4k ....that is like $7 an hour, assuming 50-hour week.
How is this consider great wage for the poor? Minimum wage in the US is much higher.

I didn't say it's a great wage. Every country has high income earners and low income earners. People earn according to their ability.

What I am saying is that the PAP is extremely generous. I wouldn't bother giving any money to a family that earns $2800 per month. They have more than enough money for all the basic necessities of life.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't say it's a great wage. Every country has high income earners and low income earners. People earn according to their ability.

What I am saying is that the PAP is extremely generous. I wouldn't bother giving any money to a family that earns $2800 per month. They have more than enough money for all the basic necessities of life.

we pay our ministers the highest in the world,shouldnt they ensure our wages and living standards are the highest in the world?or at least swiss standard?

mamadrama

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You've got to be out of your mind if you think food prices will ever plunge. Coming down a bit maybe but plunge :rolleyes:

Hopefully now the food prices would plunge now as after the collapse of fuel prices would bring some relief to the low income people.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
we pay our ministers the highest in the world,shouldnt they ensure our wages and living standards are the highest in the world?or at least swiss standard?

Singapore's cabinet are paid high salaries but if you look at the total remuneration, they aren't that well paid.

When making comparisons, you have to look at the total package.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's cabinet are paid high salaries but if you look at the total remuneration, they aren't that well paid.

nonononsense.....i believe with $8 heart surgery and prostate cancer removal,singapore ministers have one of the highest remunerations in the world,where else can u find healthcare like that?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wrong. The issue is not the amount. If $2,800 gives you a comfortable life, the government would not classify them "low" in the first place. If it doesn't, it shows that the PAP have caused an upward spiral in the cost of living such that even $5,000 cannot drive a car or own a house.

Simply logic and people don't understand.

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Total package includes spouse's company? Nephew, Niece, kawan and so on? :confused: