• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What happened to the original tenants od 112 Katong?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: What happened to the original tenants of 112 Katong?

When I visited 112 Katong, I also took the oppurtunity to look around the area. Plenty of construction going on. Notice there are now many, many... more condos. The only place left untouched is the Katong Shopping Centre..

Katong Shopping Centre has gone for like 4 en bloc attempts in the last 2 years with no success.

I saw plenty of maid agencies there. Must be 6+ maid agencies there:eek:

6+? More like 20+.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Katong Shopping Centre has gone for like 4 en bloc attempts in the last 2 years with no success.

6+? More like 20+.

Sorry, must have missed some of them:biggrin:

Anyway that must be the most number of maid agencies I've seen in one location. When I saw all those maids I was thinking wow there must be plenty of demand for so many agencies to be around.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Paya Lebar / Tanjong Katong new mall is formally/officially called 1KM (informally/unofficially shorthand for 1 Knowledge Mall (so says the owner), since there are a lot of enrichment / tuition center tenants).

Paradise Group has two of their restaurants in there, "ParaThai" and "ParadiseDynasty", side by side. "PapaRich" restaurant, as well as Mark Lee's "Old Town White Coffee" (both similar in food and pricing), and George Kwek's "Toastbox + BreadTalk" all have outlets in there. Also present is the Malaysian "The Chicken Rice Shop", the Hong Kong "Streats" café, and the Taiwanese "Milk & Honey" gelato outlet. And of course, the ubiquitous "Starbucks".

There is a "Popular bookstore" as well as a "Harvey Norman" on the upper floors as well. A small neighbourhood or suburban mall, comparable to Katong 112 in size (but Katong 112's huge advantage over all the nearby larger malls, including Parkway, Bedok Mall + Bedok Point, is that it has a "Golden Village" cinema).

You must be in the property bizness to have such intimate knowledge about the place.

Katong 112 seems to be the neighbour mall with many nearby condos. While Paya lebar is more accessible because it is next door to an MRT station. Not just any station but one which is at the intersection of the circle line & the east west line. The station is always crowded.

When the new Marine Parade station is opens that area will become livelier since it is so near to Joo Chiat. Other than the bars, KTV, there are many eateries in that area.

I notice that the Malay Village across from the Paya Lebar station is now history. If I remember there were mostly malay businesses in the village. Who owned the Malay Village? Do you if the village was enbloced:confused:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lido Palace mummy Mona was shot there when she visited her hairdresser....... she went abt her mamasen job in a wheelchair & I wonder if she still works or sitting back relaxing with ducks left n right..

Her condo used to be at the nearby Maryland Park at amber gardens.
One samster claimed to always go to her place to makan her home cooked curry

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Katong Shopping Center tenants (most famous of whom are Teo Heng (Karaoke) and his brother Teo Huat (photocopy), and of course, all the maid agencies, some tuition centers and even a church inside... not sure if the bowling alley is still operational on the higher floors that require an elevator to access) are waiting and hoping for a massive en bloc sale to a developer that wants to demolish and build a new condo or mall there, since a new MRT is planned for the Katong / Marine Parade area in the future.

The Paya Lebar / Tanjong Katong new mall is formally/officially called 1KM (informally/unofficially shorthand for 1 Knowledge Mall (so says the owner), since there are a lot of enrichment / tuition center tenants).

Paradise Group has two of their restaurants in there, "ParaThai" and "ParadiseDynasty", side by side. "PapaRich" restaurant, as well as Mark Lee's "Old Town White Coffee" (both similar in food and pricing), and George Kwek's "Toastbox + BreadTalk" all have outlets in there. Also present is the Malaysian "The Chicken Rice Shop", the Hong Kong "Streats" café, and the Taiwanese "Milk & Honey" gelato outlet. And of course, the ubiquitous "Starbucks".

There is a "Popular bookstore" as well as a "Harvey Norman" on the upper floors as well. A small neighbourhood or suburban mall, comparable to Katong 112 in size (but Katong 112's huge advantage over all the nearby larger malls, including Parkway, Bedok Mall + Bedok Point, is that it has a "Golden Village" cinema).

1 KM is not next to paya lebar mrt station.
It's neighbors with 2 old buildings....city plaza and tanjong katong complex.....
Its built on the former site of Hollywood cinema and lion city hotel.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yesterday I visited the 112 Katong Mall for the 1st time. I realised that I had previously visited the place 10+ years ago & got my fridge from a store at the basement. They must have done a major renovation because the building was different from what I had visited 12+ years ago. I can't remember the name of the store:o

Can anyone remember the electrical appliance store that was originally located there:confused: It was a big store selling fridges, TV, washers, etc Anyone know where they moved to:confused:

Mall tenants change frequently these days, there many retail casualties, and even if they don't close shop or move to another location, they might move to another shop space within the same mall. Kinokuniya at Ngee Ann City is currently doing this, its original location has been boarded up and it has moved up one level, slightly away from the main lobby balcony.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are some retro malls which still exist, though for how much longer is anybody's guess. City Plaza, Beauty World, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre etc.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When I was walking around the area I saw a few expats drinking at the bars, walking around with kids.

The place has definitely changed since the days of my childhood visits to Tay Ban Guan

A condominium now stand where Tay Ban Guan used to be, used to be one of the few SHOPPING CENTRE in the past, where there are multi shops on every floor, selling all sorts of things, kind of an individuality feel; not like mall these days, you see one, you see all. They have the same boring tenants & all the "usual suspects".

Have fond memories of Tay Ban Guan, though I don't live around Katong area, family used to shop there in the past & eat around there too. There was a mama shop that sells magazines, newspapers, when I was young I would go & visit & buy ANNUALS...for example Beano etc... & until recent decade would visit there & buy aquarium fishes from the small aquarium shop at the entrance.

The only thing I remember of Katong 112 was that furniture shop, the mags discount shop & was there a Malay shop selling food that was tasty & authentic at the basement...that drew me there, other than that I didn't explore the rest of the place.:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are some retro malls which still exist, though for how much longer is anybody's guess. City Plaza, Beauty World, Bukit Timah Shopping Centre etc.

Still quite a few around.... Somehow time machiam stood inside these places....

Queensway, holland shopping centre, sembawang shopping centre.....feel free to add

grunt72

Alfrescian
Loyal

A condominium now stand where Tay Ban Guan used to be, used to be one of the few SHOPPING CENTRE in the past, where there are multi shops on every floor, selling all sorts of things, kind of an individuality feel; not like mall these days, you see one, you see all. They have the same boring tenants & all the "usual suspects".

Have fond memories of Tay Ban Guan, though I don't live around Katong area, family used to shop there in the past & eat around there too. There was a mama shop that sells magazines, newspapers, when I was young I would go & visit & buy ANNUALS...for example Beano etc... & until recent decade would visit there & buy aquarium fishes from the small aquarium shop at the entrance.

The only thing I remember of Katong 112 was that furniture shop, the mags discount shop & was there a Malay shop selling food that was tasty & authentic at the basement...that drew me there, other than that I didn't explore the rest of the place.:biggrin:

Abt 15-20 years ago, they also experimented with setting up a IT floor at the basement of Katong PP...wanna be like SLS. Failed and wrapped up within 1-2 years i think...

If KPP have a cinema built in, I believe things would be very different for them.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abt 15-20 years ago, they also experimented with setting up a IT floor at the basement of Katong PP...wanna be like SLS. Failed and wrapped up within 1-2 years i think...

If KPP have a cinema built in, I believe things would be very different for them.

Talking about IT mall...Katong Shopping was one of the mall, where you can find many of the "pirated" software shops, one of the places, I used to go & take a look for "LATEST" games, utilities, upgrade my Microsoft OS etc.. & next door was Odean Katong where the cinema was & later years it became a desolated & a derelict place....I remember there was a Marine Fishes Aquarium shop there...I think now it is at basement Katong Shopping Centre...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mall tenants change frequently these days, there many retail casualties, and even if they don't close shop or move to another location, they might move to another shop space within the same mall. Kinokuniya at Ngee Ann City is currently doing this, its original location has been boarded up and it has moved up one level, slightly away from the main lobby balcony.

Yes even Robinsons has moved. They now occupy their own building where the Heeren used to be located. Metro has taken over Robinsons original Centrepoint location.

I was surprise to find a Harvey Norman on one of the floors at Centrepoint. The rent must be a killer. Also found Courts located in the building where Marks & Spencer used to occupy..

When I was going through the maze of underground tunnels I was thinking of the impact that those tunnels might have on the flooding in that area:eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I remember correctly when computers 1st became popular you had to go to Peoples Park to find the parts to build one. This was before Sim LiM Square or Funan was built.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In the days of TBG there were very few places you could go on a weekends e.g. Orchard Road, Peoples Park & TBG. There were very few places a family could go just to relax & window shop.

I also did not live in that area. However went to there often to visit TBG & Silver Kris the second hand stall that was located on Marshal Rd. He had the best collection of comics in Spore:smile: He later had to move to Marine Parade unfortunately it was a smaller place:(

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I remember correctly when computers 1st became popular you had to go to Peoples Park to find the parts to build one. This was before Sim LiM Square or Funan was built.

People's Park....there was a shop I still have clear memory that was near where Majestic Cinema side entrance, near to the side back lane where there where food stalls, towards the entrance of old OG...was a shop selling Commodore ( spell right) computer & console & Sinclair devices....& Apple! more of Commodore..then, it moved into OG & later disappeared...

SL Tower was the place to get electronic parts , resistors, transistors, PCB Boards etc..., those where the days of "hunting"...much more fun but tiring, rather than the boring days of today....buying on-line & waiting for the order to arrive..:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

People's Park....there was a shop I still have clear memory that was near where Majestic Cinema side entrance, near to the side back lane where there where food stalls, towards the entrance of old OG...was a shop selling Commodore ( spell right) computer & console & Sinclair devices....& Apple! more of Commodore..then, it moved into OG & later disappeared...

SL Tower was the place to get electronic parts , resistors, transistors, PCB Boards etc..., those where the days of "hunting"...much more fun but tiring, rather than the boring days of today....buying on-line & waiting for the order to arrive..:biggrin:

Only went there once but I was only a poor "boy" & didn't have the $ to afford a computer. I also didn't have the knowledge to assemble a cheaper computer. In those days you needed the technical know how because computers came in plastic bags which you had to assemble:biggrin: If you wanted a ready built one it would cost $$$.

I know that OG department store started selling the TRS 80 computers but don't know if they had a relation with the other store?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sim Lim Tower was the place. I bought my first computer, a Cubic 99 – an Apple clone with a built-in synthesizer – from Creative Tech at SL Tower. Sim Wong Hoo showed me how to operate its 'talking' function.