• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What happened to the original tenants od 112 Katong?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What happened to the original tenants of 112 Katong?

Yesterday I visited the 112 Katong Mall for the 1st time. I realised that I had previously visited the place 10+ years ago & got my fridge from a store at the basement. They must have done a major renovation because the building was different from what I had visited 12+ years ago. I can't remember the name of the store:o

Can anyone remember the electrical appliance store that was originally located there:confused: It was a big store selling fridges, TV, washers, etc Anyone know where they moved to:confused:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: What happened to the original tenants of 112 Katong?

Yesterday I visited the 112 Katong Mall for the 1st time. I realised that I had previously visited the place 10+ years ago & got my fridge from a store at the basement. They must have done a major renovation because the building was different from what I had visited 12+ years ago. I can't remember the name of the store:o

Can anyone remember the electrical appliance store that was originally located there:confused: It was a big store selling fridges, TV, washers, etc Anyone know where they moved to:confused:

Katong Mall has been just replaced.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the only thing i remember was the cold storage,it was a shithole anyway and smelled of pinoy maids.

imagery

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The higher floors were mostly security companies. Some closed shop for good.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the only thing i remember was the cold storage,it was a shithole anyway and smelled of pinoy maids.

12+ years ago there was no Cold Storage there. It was another supermarket chain which I also can't remember the name of. Maybe it was Shop & Save:confused:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I remember the original mall had one Marian Clinic.. Remember going there when young for my asthma problem... Clinic was damn expensive because it catered mostly to expats.. Then in the mid 90s, the old doctor was accused in court for molesting his patient..

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

12+ years ago there was no Cold Storage there. It was another supermarket chain which I also can't remember the name of. Maybe it was Shop & Save:confused:

oh yeah thats right,the cold storage was new.the funny thing is i kinda miss the place,it was quiet and deserted and reminded me of what nostalgia spore used to be.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lido Palace mummy Mona was shot there when she visited her hairdresser....... she went abt her mamasen job in a wheelchair & I wonder if she still works or sitting back relaxing with ducks left n right..

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The higher floors were mostly security companies. Some closed shop for good.

Never went to the upper floor because back then there didn't appear to be anything up there.

When I visited 112 Katong, I also took the oppurtunity to look around the area. Plenty of construction going on. Notice there are now many, many... more condos. The only place left untouched is the Katong Shopping Centre.. I saw plenty of maid agencies there. Must be 6+ maid agencies there:eek:

There are so many malls being built. I visited the new mall next to the Paya Lebar MRT station. I think it's called Paya Lebar Square. It's so new that the tenants are in the process of moving in.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

oh yeah thats right,the cold storage was new.the funny thing is i kinda miss the place,it was quiet and deserted and reminded me of what nostalgia spore used to be.

When I was walking around the area I saw a few expats drinking at the bars, walking around with kids.

The place has definitely changed since the days of my childhood visits to Tay Ban Guan

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Never went to the upper floor because back then there didn't appear to be anything up there.

When I visited 112 Katong, I also took the oppurtunity to look around the area. Plenty of construction going on. Notice there are now many, many... more condos. The only place left untouched is the Katong Shopping Centre.. I saw plenty of maid agencies there. Must be 6+ maid agencies there:eek:

There are so many malls being built. I visited the new mall next to the Paya Lebar MRT station. I think it's called Paya Lebar Square. It's so new that the tenants are in the process of moving in.

they are building a new mall now next to roxy square,and next to the mall is like a tiny narrow condo apartment building with penthouse,and next to it is the new katong mall?and i saw the new mall at paya lebar and joo koon lol.shyt when i went back to reservist ict boon lay has totally changed.my god its like a whole new colony near tuas,people are actually living there.most of them look like malaysians and tiongs.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Should be Mega Discount store .....

Thanks. That's the name I was looking for.

I took a quick look at the basement of 112 Katong but saw only Cold Storage, Handy Fix,... but didn't see the Mega discount store. Maybe because of the poor lighting of the basement:o

I'll be sure to look out for them next time.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

they are building a new mall now next to roxy square,and next to the mall is like a tiny narrow condo apartment building with penthouse,and next to it is the new katong mall?and i saw the new mall at paya lebar and joo koon lol.shyt when i went back to reservist ict boon lay has totally changed.my god its like a whole new colony near tuas,people are actually living there.most of them look like malaysians and tiongs.

I didn't go to that Roxy "side" because of the fence they put in the middle of the road to prevent jaywalking. Nowadays it can be quite challenging if you have want to walk around Spore.

I notice that there is a new MRT station under construction at the junction of Joo Chiat & Marine Parade. It will make Katong more accessible for people who don't drive. Will see if there is anything worth exploring over there that is not already available elsewhere. Suspect that the PAP has "upgraded" katong into the same status to what People's Park has become :(

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lido Palace mummy Mona was shot there when she visited her hairdresser....... she went abt her mamasen job in a wheelchair & I wonder if she still works or sitting back relaxing with ducks left n right..

It may surprise you but Mona is hopelessly devoted to her hubby though the latter physically abuses her. Plus, being used as an ATM.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The old Katong People's Complex was a strata title which means each unit was sold to an individual who becomes its owner. These owners either run their own business or rented out their unit.

It was en bloc in 2009, meaning 80% of the owners collectively agreed to sell the whole building. The building was sold to CapitaLand. These days, developers no longer sell individual units but would rather earn from rent. That is why strata title malls are getting lesser.

The owners either retired with the money or rented or bought another place. The tenants also closed shop or rented another place.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The only place left untouched is the Katong Shopping Centre.. I saw plenty of maid agencies there. Must be 6+ maid agencies there:eek:

Katong Shopping Center tenants (most famous of whom are Teo Heng (Karaoke) and his brother Teo Huat (photocopy), and of course, all the maid agencies, some tuition centers and even a church inside... not sure if the bowling alley is still operational on the higher floors that require an elevator to access) are waiting and hoping for a massive en bloc sale to a developer that wants to demolish and build a new condo or mall there, since a new MRT is planned for the Katong / Marine Parade area in the future.

The Paya Lebar / Tanjong Katong new mall is formally/officially called 1KM (informally/unofficially shorthand for 1 Knowledge Mall (so says the owner), since there are a lot of enrichment / tuition center tenants).

Paradise Group has two of their restaurants in there, "ParaThai" and "ParadiseDynasty", side by side. "PapaRich" restaurant, as well as Mark Lee's "Old Town White Coffee" (both similar in food and pricing), and George Kwek's "Toastbox + BreadTalk" all have outlets in there. Also present is the Malaysian "The Chicken Rice Shop", the Hong Kong "Streats" café, and the Taiwanese "Milk & Honey" gelato outlet. And of course, the ubiquitous "Starbucks".

There is a "Popular bookstore" as well as a "Harvey Norman" on the upper floors as well. A small neighbourhood or suburban mall, comparable to Katong 112 in size (but Katong 112's huge advantage over all the nearby larger malls, including Parkway, Bedok Mall + Bedok Point, is that it has a "Golden Village" cinema).