• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

this is super mom ...I really feel for her

faithang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Single Mum To Get 20% Pay Raise by Progressive Wage Model (Part 1) | The New Age Parents

Single Mum To Get 20% Pay Raise by Progressive Wage Model (Part 1)

Single Mum’s Worries

Single-Mother-To-Get-20-Percent-Pay-Raise.jpg

“On some nights, I would deliver Vitagen to nearby HDB homes with my two young daughters…”

Madam Alice Teo had a divorce from her husband in 2000. Being the sole breadwinner, she had to work 3 jobs to support her family.

“In the day, I work at a Secondary School to sell school uniforms and photocopy services for students. I also worked at a stall selling Mee Chiam Kueh to supplement my income.”

“On some nights, I would deliver Vitagen to nearby HDB homes with my two young daughters. We would split into 2 teams – I would start from one end of a HDB block, and they would start from the other end, and we will meet in the middle.”

Single-mother-story.png

Life as a Security Officer

In 2006, Alice joined the security industry, working 12 hours per day, 6 days a week.

She heard from a friend about security companies hiring, and thought that it could be a more stable income for her and the family. “I had to take a test after the security course, and I was very lucky because it was in Mandarin. My English is very poor.”

She earns $900 a month. Sometimes, she works overtime or on her off days to earn around $1,200 to $1,400 a month before CPF deduction.

Struggling with Expenses on a Single Income
Mdm-Alice-Teo-rented-flat.jpg

Mdm Alice Teo rented flat

Home is a rented two-room HDB flat in Marine Parade area, where she currently lives with her youngest daughter. Her elder daughter has married and moved out.

Her salary barely covers her home and daughter’s expenses, which includes paying for rent, utility bills, town council, as well as for her daughter’s school fees and accommodation, totaling up to $990 each month.

“It was a very difficult time after the divorce, and once, I had to seek help from the temple. They gave me some rice and dry rations to help with the expenses…”

On top of that, she also gives a sum of about $100 – $200, to her relative who takes care of her wheelchair bound 90 year old mother on a full-time basis. She says it’s only fair of her to contribute a small sum to them for helping to take care of her mother.

After paying off everything, she has little left for herself. She shared that after each month, she doesn’t have any savings. She needs her OT pay to help her get by each month.

On Being Grateful Despite Troubles

However, despite her financial strains, Alice maintains a positive disposition and has the brightest smile one would ever see.
Mdm Alice Two - Single mother with two daughters

Mdm-Alice-Two-Single-mother-with-two-daughters.jpg

“I feel lucky to be able to work under EVTEC (her security agency employer). First, they don’t discriminate my age. And they take good care of our welfare too. Second, they don’t discriminate my gender.” she adds, citing that some companies reject senior citizens and females due to the company’s “tough” image and a host of other reasons.

Find out in our second part how Alice will get a 20% pay raise by the Progressive Wage Model.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
She's extremely lucky to be a Singaporean.

In many countries, she'd be living in a shack with no water, no electricity and no sanitation.

batwa-shack.jpg

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yups, singapore is not a bad place after all, but the cronies are the ones who spoil the show.:o

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wages in Singapore are still very low as compared to the same twenty years ago.

But million dollars men wages jumped to more than 1000% while being spotted dozing off in Parliament!!

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun feel sorry. If you are wealthy try to send her kids to University.

Dwell in sorrows and pitiful doesn't help.