• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Have Job Opening in Technical Position With Reasonable Pay but No Singaporean Apply

asugama

I have wanted to ask this question many times, our company always have a hard time to hire local Singaporean/Singaporean PR even though we think that the salary offered is very reasonable.

And recently we just posted an advertisement on Monster.com.sg for IT related position and so far we only have less than 10 applicants and none of them is local. And I must say salary is pretty good, in the range of 4k/month. So, I would like to know anyone can shed some lights on where to post the jobs ads which locals normally use. Or locals are only looking for Finance/Banking jobs now?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Have Job Opening in Technical Position With Reasonable Pay but No Singaporean App

That's because all sinkies have good jobs thanks to the PAP.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Have Job Opening in Technical Position With Reasonable Pay but No Singaporean App

When I was looking for a job I bought a copy of the Saturday Straits Times. It was where most companies would put up ads. Did you company put an ad there:confused:

asugama

No, so far we only post ads on JobsDB.com, Monster.com.sg, Jobstreet.com.sg because we thought that for IT related position, the targeted applicants will be IT savvy and get information from internet, instead of traditional platform like newspaper. We will probably need to change our approach and probably need to engage recruitment agency.

I fully agree with Bro Leongsam, just had a quick check and found that the unemployment rate in Singapore is about 2% and looking at the current population released by Singstat, there're 2.5 millions populations aged between 20-64 years old, meaning only 50,000 of them are out of jobs. And it will be even lower for applicants below 40.

All finger crossed that I can find a good colleague and locals.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When I was looking for a job I bought a copy of the Saturday Straits Times. It was where most companies would put up ads. Did you company put an ad there:confused:

These days, companies don't even want to spend $$$ to put ads for job opening at Sat Straits Times.
The recruitment section of the Sat Straits Times is so thin that you'll get pissed off when browsing that section.

Most firms now go to job agencies for their hiring and that's where most locals were given a missed for the opportunity.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Have you treated your former employees like shit?

If you did, don't be surprised to find out that news travel quite fast by word of mouth.

Also, what is the hourly wage? That's more important. You can work like a slave 7 days a week and 4k isn't worth it.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have wanted to ask this question many times, our company always have a hard time to hire local Singaporean/Singaporean PR even though we think that the salary offered is very reasonable.

And recently we just posted an advertisement on Monster.com.sg for IT related position and so far we only have less than 10 applicants and none of them is local. And I must say salary is pretty good, in the range of 4k/month. So, I would like to know anyone can shed some lights on where to post the jobs ads which locals normally use. Or locals are only looking for Finance/Banking jobs now?

That is becos the sinkies resumes are already in rubbish bin before the 10 resume reaches the desk.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No, so far we only post ads on JobsDB.com, Monster.com.sg, Jobstreet.com.sg because we thought that for IT related position, the targeted applicants will be IT savvy and get information from internet, instead of traditional platform like newspaper. We will probably need to change our approach and probably need to engage recruitment agency.

I fully agree with Bro Leongsam, just had a quick check and found that the unemployment rate in Singapore is about 2% and looking at the current population released by Singstat, there're 2.5 millions populations aged between 20-64 years old, meaning only 50,000 of them are out of jobs. And it will be even lower for applicants below 40.

All finger crossed that I can find a good colleague and locals.

You believe 100% about those unemployment figures?
If the figures are really honestly reported, there won't be so many PMET working as taxi drivers and security guards in Sillypore.

Probably all those locals that applied for the job didn't even get their chance to reach your mailbox even when submitted their resume.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually this is nothing new. I was also surprised that for years (last 10?) talks of PMET unemployed, young graduates cannot find jobs, when my friend's agency (local staffed by all Singaporeans) advertised for the clients, only foreigners (pinoy and indian) apply. Most shocking was when they advertised a management trainee job (quite good pay, 3K a month) for a large German engineering firm with good prospects, no reasonable Singaporean graduate (meaning with average to above average grades, in respectable universities local or foreign) apply (only those bottom of the type, from mickey-mouse overseas university and disastrous job history, like 3-5 jobs within 2 years apply). And when those trash were called up for interviews (3 of them), 2 did not turn up (never give excuse), the other one cannot communicate in proper English.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

IT industry is quite a bleak industry, many position have been filled up by foreigners.

asugama

Have you treated your former employees like shit?

If you did, don't be surprised to find out that news travel quite fast by word of mouth.

Also, what is the hourly wage? That's more important. You can work like a slave 7 days a week and 4k isn't worth it.

No, not really. In fact, there's no former employee at all. So far all of the employees I have hired in the past 4 years are still working with the company now. And I guess that speaks some volume.

As for working hour, it's really quite flexible. But of course, in IT industry, you will need to be on standby support occasionally. And from your response, the first thing that comes to your mind is that this work will be hard and needs to work for long hours, etc. I guess that is how IT positions get perceived here. For previous recruitment rounds, I did receive a few local applicants (<5%) however their skill sets were quite out of the scope.

I have just asked for username/password for the jobs ads site and checked it myself directly. There's really none local applicants.

Thank you very much for the feedback, we will try other means then.