• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gurmit Singh quits showbiz

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gurmit Singh quits showbiz to make up for lost time with family

BBg3Ra4.img

Photos: Dang Hui Ling
Videos: Foong Mien Shi

“It must be a blessing to know that you can bring so much joy to people.” – That was the most heart-warming comment local celebrity Gurmit Singh has ever received from a viewer.

After 20 years in showbiz, the well-loved comedian will bid farewell to MediaCorp when his contract ends on Dec 31. During his interview with xinmsn, Gurmit emphasised that though he will take a break from being a full-time artiste, he will continue taking on assignments selectively as “he still has bills to pay”.
When asked on the reason behind his decision, the 49-year-old quoted his family as the main factor. “To be honest, I’ve been struggling to balance between work and family life. I have given it much thought in the past five years,” he said.

According to Gurmit, it was not a sudden or haphazard decision, but one that he has planned and discussed about with his wife Melissa Wong, who has always been very supportive.

There were “good days” when he could spend time with his family on weekdays and there were “bad days” when he did not get to see his kids (Gabrielle, 17, Elliot, 13 and Mikaela, 20-months) for consecutive days. But it wasn’t until last year that it dawned on Gurmit, a five-time winner of the Star Awards “Top 10 Most Popular Male Artistes” prize, to devote himself to his loved ones.

“I asked my children for their opinion and my two older kids said: ‘Dad, there were a lot of times when you were not around.’ That really hurt my feelings because I thought I was doing it right,” he sighed.

Although the Phua Chu Kang star tried not to work on Sundays, he was often absent from important events such as birthdays, wedding anniversaries and New Year’s Eve.

“People don’t realise that when I’m hosting a ‘live’ show like Singapore Idol, it could be my child’s birthday and my family’s having a party while I’m working. People don’t know that I’m actually thinking about the party that I’m missing,” added Gurmit. “I feel happy as a host because I’m doing a good job, or so people tell me. But I feel lousy as a dad.”

When the family welcomed a new member (Mikaela) in March 2013, Gurmit became even more determined not to let history repeat itself. Apart from his children, the actor-host also wanted to show his gratitude to his wife, who used to be an air-stewardess but chose to be a stay-home mum for the past two decades.

“She sacrificed her dreams, ambitions, time and energy. If she hadn’t done what she has done for the past 20 years, I wouldn’t be able to do my job properly,” Gurmit shared, declaring that he is more than willing to exchange roles with his wife in the near future.

While time lost cannot be repaid, Gurmit hopes that he could, in some ways, compensate his family. Delighted to have control over his job scope, the affable man called it a win-win situation for the company and himself, as MediaCorp will remain as his exclusive agent to manage his assignments.

“I haven’t retired from the industry entirely. I’ll still take up hosting gigs, movies and whatever that pays the food,” he reiterated.

In the official press release, MediaCorp Deputy CEO Chang Long Jong said: “Everyone loves Gurmit, the funniest man in Caldecott. But only those who work closely with him will know that Gurmit is a true professional – someone who takes his craft very seriously and is nothing short of a perfectionist."

Mr. Chang also expressed his support for Gurmit, an iconic member of the MediaCorp family, as he embarks on a new chapter in his life and career.

This year, Gurmit and his family moved out of their landed property into a three-room condominium that has been fully paid for – something that the comedian is very happy with, due to his soon-to-be “part-time artiste with no steady flow of income” status. However, the actor has no plans to start a side business that will demand extra attention from him.

As for the burden on his finances, Gurmit believes that lesser income translates to cutting down on expenses (no more Business Class travels, for example), but that is nothing compared to having more quality time with his family.

Gurmit, who recently wrapped filming for Okto programme KNOCKOUT Carnival, will make his last appearance on TV with Ch5’s Meet My Family and Toggle original series For A Better Tomorrow. If time permits, the host will be involved in the sixth season of Our Makan Places: Lost and Found next year.

To mark his “retirement”, Gurmit will be travelling to Finland to see the Northern Lights with his family next month. “For the first time in 20 years, I would be able to spend New Year’s Eve with my family,” he concluded.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His MLM must be doing very well and commission is rolling in by itself.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
He had a talk show like what jay leno and conan has in the US.
I remember watching it and it was a complete turn off.

leno and conan was making fun of then president george bush in their shows and gurmit was also telling jokes abt george bush.

Why don't make fun abt our own leaders. There are jokers aplenty.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He had a talk show like what jay leno and conan has in the US.
I remember watching it and it was a complete turn off.

leno and conan was making fun of then president george bush in their shows and gurmit was also telling jokes abt george bush.

Why don't make fun abt our own leaders. There are jokers aplenty.

This singh got no balls one.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New PAP MP?

Surely a part-time job won't eat into your 'family time' too much. :wink:

May we see the last of your fuckface at New Year Countdown parties, shitty Jack Neo movies, and campaign posters.

6608741907_d95d88dbd8_z.jpg

640727poster.jpg

tIJ7GI7.png

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think his finances must be really down. He bought the terrace house in the Upper East Coast Road area with cash.
Now with three growing up children, he down sizes to a 3-room condo unit?
This how-lian fella used to throw down his Lambo car keys onto the meeting table when pitching his MLM stuff.
No wonder he made a big deal of getting an MPV recently in exchange for his Lambo. Any other successful person would have just
gotten a second car.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend disallowed his primary school kids to watch ANY of his programmes. For the food programmes, he talks with his mouth full into the camera and at the same time blinking like an idiot. He speaks like a runaway train, and we will not even talk about his bad enunciation, pronunciation and almost bad grammar. The last thing they needed was a 'role model' like him to mess up what their parents teach them.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no worry boys, after a few years, Gurmit Singh will squander his saving and he will be like a dog and lick Media Corp's cock and come back to your tv screen.

look at him, other than acting silly, what kind of skills he has? Can he go to Holliwood?

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually it's a scandal or he has offended some influential person inside the industry.

If you got no talent, who gives a damn sh!t who you are. If you are talented, the world is your oyster. For him, he is the typical how lian sinkie with no talent and full of hot air. alot of them quit when in fact they are fired or ask to go as no value or drop in viewership. HK artistes beat them anytime.
in fact ALL of mediacorpses "artistes" are full of crap or just so plain ugly that that I stop watching TV 30 yrs ago. It stupifies and make you lose your IQ points.
BTW who gives a damn shit about his family who are attention seekers. only nobody liikes to pretend they are somebody who sacrifice career for family.