• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fandi Ahmad wants to retire in Batam – and people say they understand

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
<cite class="byline vcard">By Y! | Fit To Post Sports – <abbr title="2014-11-25T10:25:10Z">6 hours ago

</abbr></cite>
9a300f18-1fb3-4cf7-b428-b354b36e912e_630fandi.jpg

“I want to retire in Batam. It’s just a 45-minute ferry ride back to Singapore if I get bored, and I’m an Indonesian PR. I like the kampungs there with their coconut trees. Singapore has no kampungs anymore, and it’s getting so expensive!”

The last few lines from Fandi Ahmad’s interview for 8 Days magazine’s 27 November 2014 issue struck a chord with many online citizens after a photo of the article was shared by The Real Singapore on Facebook on Tuesday.

Hundreds of Facebook users commented on the post to share their sentiments, many of which agreed with the former national footballer’s view of the rising cost of living in Singapore.

“I’m with [Fandi] on this. Singapore isn’t a place for Singaporeans anymore. We may have been born and [bred] here, but all we have to do is pay and pay…” said Facebook user Rusty Ryan in support of the 52-year-old coach of local football club lionsXII. Fandi is also Singapore’s first millionaire athlete.

“He deserved the best retirement after all he had contributed for Singapore,” said a Zul Auditore.

“That is an absolute truth by Fandi… even though I am very thankful to Singapore for many reasons, but I must say that we are compelled to meet the high expectations of living here…” said a Paris Vee.

Fandi also opened up about the two failed investments he made in the early 2000s – a used car dealership and a coffee shop – his hopes for the football careers of his sons Irfan and Ikhsan Fandi, and his undying love for wife Wendy Jacobs.

Singaporeans are not the only ones who believe that the city-state is an expensive place to live.

Earlier in March, The Economist ranked the city as the world’s most expensive as the nation’s currency continues to appreciate and prices continue to inflate.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even a millionaire feels that Sinkiestan is too expensive for retirement :eek::eek::eek:

It's not just the cost.

When you're older, you would probably want to live in a place with a slower pace of life, where there is more nature and less people.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Many sinkies still stuck here because being tied down for whatever reason.

The only thing that ties Singaporeans down is the lack of courage to deviate from the well beaten path.

Anyone can retire in Indonesia, Thailand or Vietnam. All that is required to make it happen is to take the first step today.