• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP's success over past 60 years is based on values, people: Khaw

votepapout

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]The principles of a clean, honest and effective government, as well as meritocracy and fairness are vital building blocks of the People's Action Party and Singapore's success, said party chairman Khaw Boon Wan.[/h]
khaw-boon-wan.jpg
Minister for National Development and People's Action Party chairman Khaw Boon Wan speaking at the PAP60 Dinner and Awards at the Singapore Expo on Saturday (Nov 22).

SINGAPORE: The People's Action Party stands firm on its principles of a clean, honest and effective government, meritocracy and fairness, the party's chairman Khaw Boon Wan said on Saturday (Nov 22).

Speaking at the PAP60 Dinner and Awards held at the Singapore Expo, Mr Khaw said these principles and values are vital building blocks of the PAP and Singapore's success.

He said the PAP was founded with the aim of building a fair and equal society. These values are still relevant today, but because the environment has changed, there is a need to review what these ideas mean today, he added. That is why the party passed a Resolution last year to define its new way forward.

Mr Khaw said: "Meritocracy is still something we value and uphold. But as our society becomes more settled, with widening income distributions, extreme meritocracy may favour those with means. This can undermine social mobility and lead to stratification in society. So we must change our approach.

"We need to develop an open and compassionate meritocracy - one with opportunities for Singaporeans to develop skills in diverse fields, active support for those who start off with less, and ladders to success at every stage of one's life, and not just focused narrowly on success in school."

Mr Khaw said the next step is to amend the Party Constitution to enshrine the new PAP Resolution into its constitution and put it into force, and this would be done at the Party Conference next month. But Mr Khaw said ultimately it is the people in the party that make these values come alive.

He paid tribute to PAP party members and activists, thanking them for their loyalty and contribution. Mr Khaw said the party would now give PAP Life Membership to long-serving members who are at least 65 years old and have served the party for at least 25 years.

This year, nearly 400 activists received commendation medals, dedicated service awards and long service medals, with some serving the party for five decades.

Betty Kwek from Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng has served the party for the last 22 years. Ms Kwek, a PAP Commendation Medal recipient and vice-chairman of Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng Branch, said: "Most of the people who come to MPS (meet-the-people session) are those who cannot get what they want from the ministries.

"So they come to us and the MPs for help. We'll write letters to help them and when they get what they want, they come back to thank us, and that is very satisfying for us."

Jagathishwaran Rajo, from Zhenghua Branch and a PAP Youth Award recipient, said Comcare had assisted his family for a short period of time when it was facing financial difficulty. "As a result, I feel that some of these policies actually helped me - to grow as a better person - or helped my family. And I feel that I could be part of the system and help other people," he added.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the meaning of this term as used by $8 Cow?

In "PAP's core values are 'vital building blocks'" (The Sunday Times, November 23, 2014, page 6), $8 Cow uses the term "extreme meritocracy". What exactly does he mean? Some examples would be helpful to me as I don't have a university education and my IQ is only 45.

exmeritocracy.jpg

Last edited:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: What is the meaning of this term as used by $8 Cow?

In the context of the entire statement, this cow is saying that the current system of meritocracy as practised by them favours the rich and that their so calll meritocracy is no more than glorified back scratching of each other's backs and bolls.

Summary - their usual BS to tell us they want to change.
Truth - they are the ones who cause the accident you just got into, and now offer to help you with the repairs, at THEIR workshop at inflated prices.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: What is the meaning of this term as used by $8 Cow?

In "PAP's core values are 'vital building blocks'" (The Sunday Times, November 23, 2014, page 6), $Cow uses the term "extreme meritocracy". What exactly does he mean? Some examples would be helpful to me as I don't have a university education and my IQ is only 45.

exmeritocracy.jpg

He means know your place and por PAP lumpar if you wish to get ahead in life. Yang Yin is the perfect role model.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You really have to salute people that can speak publicly everything that is against their conscience without battling an eyelid.

jw5

Loyal
He gave me the creeps the first time I heard him speak.
And ever since then as well. :biggrin:

You really have to salute people that can speak publicly everything that is against their conscience without battling an eyelid.