• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Peng Ann: Why I joined opposition politics

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Former SAF Col Tan Peng Ann joins opposition party

Wow, you appear to know a lot about the first batch of officer cadets.

Who is RJM. HML, GS?

NJP was a LG, and Chef of Defence Force, because Boey Tak Hap (first batch of SAFOS) declined.

Your HML is not Hwee Man Lok, who retired as CPT after 3 years.

Ramachandra Menon, Gurcharan Singh, yes Hwee Man Lok. You are absolutely right about Clarence Tan being the first CO of the Commandos. And yes I forgot that NJP together with WC and LCP are the only 3 LGs SAF ever had. JC head DMI...I thought he migrated to Australia and in fact joined the ADF.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, TPA actually left the SAF because of the bullshit and when into the civil service as a teacher, to discover there was as much bullshit in there. In the end, he wanted back into SAF and SAF at that time never took people back. I think Gopal supported him. I was quite surprised when KYY got accepted for Canadian PR given his age and lack of any marketable skill that the Canadians needed. But he has money, so I guess it was the investor program for him. His whole family when over too, not only him. He is much happier there and more lelac. Very happy for him. By the way, its still current practice to second all retiring full and half bird colonels to the SSC for a few years so that their military knowledge will be outdated before they can be finally retired. The bad thing about that is that you have a bunch of unqualified people running sports in singapore, hence the current shit status.

Yes TPA served under PR Gopal ( who just passed away in Perth btw ) when latter was OC CPC. But TPA plodded on and eventually got his 3 crabs after being sponsored for studies in NUS. He was disappointed I think that despite serving in the grassroots he was not "looked after" on mandatory retirement. Unlike a few others just like him.

jw5

Loyal

He also knows a lot about former police cadets. :p

Wow, you appear to know a lot about the first batch of officer cadets.

Who is RJM. HML, GS?

NJP was a LG, and Chef of Defence Force, because Boey Tak Hap (first batch of SAFOS) declined.

Your HML is not Hwee Man Lok, who retired as CPT after 3 years.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramachandra Menon, Gurcharan Singh, yes Hwee Man Lok. You are absolutely right about Clarence Tan being the first CO of the Commandos. And yes I forgot that NJP together with WC and LCP are the only 3 LGs SAF ever had. JC head DMI...I thought he migrated to Australia and in fact joined the ADF.

Thank you.
There are or were more than three LG's: WC, NJP, LCP, BSK, DK, NKH, now NCM

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you.
There are or were more than three LG's: WC, NJP, LCP, BSK, DK, NKH, now NCM

Again you are rite...havent kept track of recent ones...they are getting a dozen by the dime. Time was when a full Col was
the top of the pile....rank inflation in SAF and SPF these days!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gentle men,

All these crabs/crabs promotions in SAF mean nothing but to contain these clever people from going side ways against PAP, and to silence them, feed their egos, pay them well using your CPF money. What else?

Civil servants promotion, uni educations are all funded from where? Your CPF monies, correct?

Tax payers even pay for their CPF money?

Now you knows where your CPF monies went to and no more money left for the over 55ers?

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

....He was disappointed I think that despite serving in the grassroots he was not "looked after" on mandatory retirement. Unlike a few others just like him.

That probably explained why he is coming out now. Anyway he must have carried the wrong boss. I know a number of slackers who had stagnated for years, being promoted to super scale officers after joining the correct grassroots.

jw5

Loyal

Fully agree. :wink:

That probably explained why he is coming out now. Anyway he must have carried the wrong boss. I know a number of slackers who had stagnated for years, being promoted to super scale officers after joining the correct grassroots.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I am always impressed with KYY when I meet him for lunch occasionally. Having accomplished a lot, he is easy going, very humble and always have a great sense of humor when we chat over old times.
There is another colonel I know living here. He is Thomas Ng - former chief of Engineering at the Navy. He has made it big here in Vancouver. Initially, he started a lumber mill and eventually went into real estate. The last I heard is that he has >1000 apartments under his rentals. We do meet up once in a while.

All these colonels are not too complimentary on their views of the PAP government although they were part of the Elites. I think KYY's brother joined the WP and he and his whole family were under scrutiny when they were in Singapore.

Is Thomas Ng the brother of Allan Ng?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Again you are rite...havent kept track of recent ones...they are getting a dozen by the dime. Time was when a full Col was
the top of the pile....rank inflation in SAF and SPF these days!

Rank inflation or they are near or at the established rank, such as, in the old days, CO of the infantry battalions were Majors (once in a while a CPT, such as then CPT Gwee Peng Hong, a commando, who was CO 1 SIR, the SAF offered him the rank of local Major, but he declined, apparently with his response, that if as a CPT, he was good enough to be CO, and if good enough to be local Major, he should be promoted to Major).

Nowadays, a majority of the CO are LTC, except that many Brigade Commanders are not BG, whereas in the old days, Brigade Commanders were mostly LTC.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tan Peng Ann joined WP and has nothing to show for it except cheap worthless medals and certs. If he joined PAP, he might have gotten a better retirement prospects after a long, illustrious career with NTUC or some GLC. Clearly a guy who doesn't know who butters his bread.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I prefer the old motto "Who Dares, Wins" instead of the "For Honour and Glory" introduced in 1980 (after my NS days)

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Singapore_A...2801&qsrc=999&ad=doubleDown&an=apn&ap=ask.com

The CDO FN's creation began in 1967 when two officers, Major (MAJ) Clarence Tan and MAJ James Chia, were tasked with recruiting eligible candidates from any unit in the SAF to form an elite unit. The SAF Regular Battalion was formed on 1 December 1969 and was directly under the command of Singapore's Ministry of Defence (MINDEF). Captain (CPT) Tham Chee Onn was selected to be the acting-Commanding Officer (CO) for the unit, which comprised 20 men, and was assisted by nine other officers. MAJ Clarence Tan subsequently joined the unit as its CO and was responsible for establishing its training programme. A second recruitment drive was launched in early 1970 with the aim of increasing the number of officers in the unit. The unit was renamed "Singapore Armed Forces Commando Unit" in early 1971 and its red berets were introduced on 3 May 1971. On 16 July, the unit was renamed "1st Commando Battalion" (1 CDO BN) and moved from Pasir Laba Camp to Changi Camp. It had one company fully composed of regular soldiers.

In 1972, the MINDEF decided to allow full-time national servicemen (NSFs) to join the unit. The first NSF batch of commandos formed a second company on 15 January 1973 with CPT Gwee Peng Hong as its Officer Commanding (OC) and Second Warrant Officer (2WO) Khiong Kian Khoon as its Company Sergeant Major (CSM). From July 1973 to January 1975, the third, fourth and fifth companies were formed and were respectively led by CPT Boon Hon Lin, CPT Lim Siang Tong and Lieutenant (LTA) Dominic Teo. A sixth company was formed with 2005, with CPT Arnold Low as its OC and 2WO Kasinathan as its CSM.

In April 1975, the 1 CDO BN was restructured and placed under the command of the 3rd Singapore Division (3 DIV). In 1977, along with two Singapore Guards battalions, the 1 CDO BN came under the command of the 7th Singapore Infantry Brigade (7 SIB), and received its state and regimental colours on 22 January 1977 from Goh Keng Swee, the Minister of Defence.

On 1 July 1980, the 1 CDO BN was transferred out of the 7 SIB and was placed under the direct command of Headquarters Infantry. The Headquarters School of Commando Training (SOCT) was established on 1 October 1980 and it took over command of the 1 CDO BN. The 1 CDO BN received a new formation sign from Brigadier-General Tan Chin Tiong, the acting-Chief of the General Staff, and incorporated the winged stiletto as its new emblem along with a new motto, For Honour and Glory.

The first company of the 1 CDO BN, which used to be made up of only regulars, started inducting NSFs from 17 December 1984 under its OC, CPT Yeo Lai Huat, and its CSM, 2WO Nathan. The first company also began training for long range reconnaissance patrolling and divisional disruptive operations for the first time. In 1986, another tradition of the 1 CDO BN was created when the stiletto was presented to graduates from the second company during their Red Beret Presentation Ceremony in December 1986. This practice has continued since then, with the stiletto being presented to commandos who have completed two years of service in the unit.

The Headquarters Commandos was established in 1989 and it received its state and formation colours from Singapore President Wee Kim Wee on 20 October 1991. A new camp for the commandos, Hendon Camp, was constructed near Sungei Selerang (east of Loyang) and was inaugurated on 27 January 1994 by Lieutenant-General Ng Jui Ping, the Chief of Defence Force. Hendon Camp has been the base of the CDO FN since then.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi Charlie, when the 2 guard units were formed, the CO of 2nd Guards was known as "smiling tiger". Can you remember his actual name?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi Charlie, when the 2 guard units were formed, the CO of 2nd Guards was known as "smiling tiger". Can you remember his actual name?

Sorry, I do not know the name, because, the Guard Units were formed, probably after I left SG.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rank inflation or they are near or at the established rank, such as, in the old days, CO of the infantry battalions were Majors (once in a while a CPT, such as then CPT Gwee Peng Hong, a commando, who was CO 1 SIR, the SAF offered him the rank of local Major, but he declined, apparently with his response, that if as a CPT, he was good enough to be CO, and if good enough to be local Major, he should be promoted to Major).

Nowadays, a majority of the CO are LTC, except that many Brigade Commanders are not BG, whereas in the old days, Brigade Commanders were mostly LTC.

This practice of "Local" rank is a stupid idea. When Alan Yeo was serving in the UN/Allied Forces during the Gulf war he was a
COL but so that he was not outranked amongst his yankee/brit other compatriots ( AY was the defacto Chief of Staff of the contingent ), Mindef made him a local BG. When he finished his assignment and returned to Spore, he reverted to his substantive rank of COL. He eventually left the SAF and joined LTA but did not stay too long. Officers such as AY and GPH altho non graduates command more respect amongst their men than many of the Wrangler scholars in the SAF. GPH is now running a successful trading biz and still keeps in touch with the pioneers in the SAF. The first few SAFTI OCT batches are planning a grand re-union next year. One has in fact been having an annual re-union since 1968. Sadly, the number of attendees have been dwindling for obvious reasons ( sigh ).

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This practice of "Local" rank is a stupid idea. When Alan Yeo was serving in the UN/Allied Forces during the Gulf war he was a
COL but so that he was not outranked amongst his yankee/brit other compatriots ( AY was the defacto Chief of Staff of the contingent ), Mindef made him a local BG. When he finished his assignment and returned to Spore, he reverted to his substantive rank of COL. He eventually left the SAF and joined LTA but did not stay too long. Officers such as AY and GPH altho non graduates command more respect amongst their men than many of the Wrangler scholars in the SAF. GPH is now running a successful trading biz and still keeps in touch with the pioneers in the SAF. The first few SAFTI OCT batches are planning a grand re-union next year. One has in fact been having an annual re-union since 1968. Sadly, the number of attendees have been dwindling for obvious reasons ( sigh ).

1. Do you wish to send a private message to me?
2. Alan Yeo - Is he Yeo Cheng Ann? Unable to remember which batch OCS (is he from the Third Batch or Fifth Batch?) If he is Yeo Cheng Ann, who was at some point in time, the S2 at HQ 2 SIB, then I know of him).
3. Who is GPH?
4. The first batch OCS have been meeting once a year for numerous years.
5. I believe there was another senior SAF officer who was promoted to local MG (BG Tan Huck Kim - pardon me if I do not recall the correct name) when the SAF sent him to New Guinea.
6. I exchanged e-mail with HML, and he believes that you may be from the first batch OCS.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What does a rich, old ex-army man know about Return Our CPF @ 55?
If he does not have an opinion and forceful solution for the return of our CPF @ 55, then he is useless and we should not waste our vote on him or anyone else like him.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What does a rich, old ex-army man know about Return Our CPF @ 55?
If he does not have an opinion and forceful solution for the return of our CPF @ 55, then he is useless and we should not waste our vote on him or anyone else like him.

You don't make sense.

If you are a TP resident and if SingFirst is the only party that contests against PAP at Tanjong Pagar, and you don't want to waste your vote on Tan Peng Ann, then who do you vote for?

Voting for the AP is a vote against the pap.

All Singaporeans should vote against the pap for the damage it has done to Singapore and Singaporeans.

Don't be idealistic and talk abt wasting your vote