• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iskandar Malaysia's progress so far

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already, foreign MNCs and SMES are by-passing the over-rated/ grossly overpriced Singapore for Iskandar, which is just a stone throw away from Singapore.

When all the commercial offices got built up in Sunway and Medini and PH, I am sure these foreign companies will set foot in there ( they already are doing it ) and that's where the game actually started. The real game has not even started and I am giving it till 2020 when the whole masterpiece comes together.

First is Sunway, they are the first major development which will greet visitors and investors from Singapore and the 2nd link and North-South Highway. They cannot fail. But since when did Sunway developments fail? Look at Tambun look at Sunway Lagoon, without any injection of Singaporeans investors money, their prices shot up rapidly because they offer quality stuff far more superior than what Singapore developers are offering.

It is no surprise Sunway has emerged as the BEST Developer in Malaysia. Keep it up, Sunway!

The luckiest people are the SG PR's who get revenues from SG, & buy Malaysia at local prices.
Unfortunately many of these tend to become big-headed & boast .... And to add insult to injury, label Singsporeans as "stupid".

Nationalism no longer matters now.
Everybody seems to be a Commercial Mercenary.

How many Malaysians, evolved into Singaporean Politicians, &
Besides "serving" Singapore, have numerous proxies, relatives who buy Malaysia, quietly.

Can anyone answer,

Why is Malaysia so much in debt, to work lenders & the ringgit sooo weak ?

Iskandar can succeed faster, if the talents return to Johor, to work,
But where are the job opportunities in Johor ?

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I looked around my younger generations who got masters and first class honours and strangely these are not the people who would not drive Z4s or X6s to fetch me for dinners.

I was even more surprised that they were paid just S$6k or some even $4k after all the perfect grades that they got. One bank director, first class honours and masters from NUS hitting almost 40 of a big local bank claimed his post is the highest in the bank but his pay is not even 10k. Something is grossly wrong here.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I looked around my younger generations who got masters and first class honours and strangely these are not the people who would not drive Z4s or X6s to fetch me for dinners.

I was even more surprised that they were paid just S$6k or some even $4k after all the perfect grades that they got. One bank director, first class honours and masters from NUS hitting almost 40 of a big local bank claimed his post is the highest in the bank but his pay is not even 10k. Something is grossly wrong here.

Maybe his base pay is 9.8k but performance bonus & incentives is equal to his entire year base salary or more?
People usually tends to hide their last card. Only selected few plays Texas Poker. Likes to call bluffs. :biggrin:

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the most unpopular minister in Singapore who made a massive screw-ups in his portfolios as Ministers in a few departments had actually owned LAND in Iskandar which he bought cheaply. I heard RM 10 plus psf.

He bought a few.

And during his tenure as a sensitive minister in a particular ministry, the prices in Singapore properties were jacked up and supplies were literally cut and prices were just shooting up without any controls.

Everyone rushed in to buy into Iskandar. This same ministers land is worth some RM 150/psf.

And still he seem to get away with it

Per chance the person happens to be relatively short ? :biggrin: :rolleyes:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe his base pay is 9.8k but performance bonus & incentives is equal to his entire year base salary or more?
People usually tends to hide their last card. Only selected few plays Texas Poker. Likes to call bluffs. :biggrin:

Yes I agree. No need to tell others abt gd salary..... 自己知道就好。 Most graduate PMETs should have decent pay, esp those working in MNCs.. Its the lower educated who are seeing stagnant/minimal salary rises.........

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
From a Malaysian perspective:

I always thought that Singaporeans are rich and affluent. Country bumpkins Malaysians are always one step back wards. Malaysians are poor as RM is way below S$. Anyone who have a HDB is already a millionaire, at least if you convert to RM. You have a MRT and Airport which is so much superior, a Government who is so much stable, a passport that you are proud of. So to a Malaysian, one can only look with envy to the other side.
We have to sweat it out to have every single sen to compare with the influx of Singaporeans. You are one lucky lot.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I always thought that Singaporeans are rich and affluent. Country bumpkins Malaysians are always one step back wards. Malaysians are poor as RM is way below S$. Anyone who have a HDB is already a millionaire, at least if you convert to RM. You have a MRT and Airport which is so much superior, a Government who is so much stable, a passport that you are proud of. So to a Malaysian, one can only look with envy to the other side.
We have to sweat it out to have every single sen to compare with the influx of Singaporeans. You are one lucky lot.

Err......Bro, the able Malaysian is always free to come over to SG to study & on a scholarship too. And free to study in SG polys too. The grass always seem greener on the other side, but how many know the time sacrifices of the 马劳 earning SGD, or the 2 years wasted on NS for SG males?

For me, it is impt to look at things with a balanced perspective. Win some, lose some. There will nv be an end to comparisons....:biggrin:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err......Bro, the able Malaysian is always free to come over to SG to study & on a scholarship too. And free to study in SG polys too. The grass always seem greener on the other side, but how many know the time sacrifices of the 马劳 earning SGD, or the 2 years wasted on NS for SG males?

For me, it is impt to look at things with a balanced perspective. Win some, lose some. There will nv be an end to comparisons....:biggrin:

Not comparing at all.
Just cannot imagine one earning S$ 10k would still complain...
If I earn that amt then, I be living like a lord.

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, we are indeed one lucky lot esp for the majority of us baby boomers. But things are definitely going downhill quickly in the last 6 years or so and will continue to do so further down the road esp for the ordinary singaporeans workers due to lack of job security and cost of living rising much faster than income. Remember, we do not have cheap countryside to retire to unlike Malaysians.

Yes, SG is still way ahead of MY at this moment, but I see quality of life in MY is fast catching up. I would give SG's standard of living a near perfect score of 90-95% 25 years ago (most of us can really trust their "more good years ahead" then), but now I feel it has deteriorate to around 75-80% while MY is about 50-55% now from 25-30% 25 years ago. The gap will definitely continue to narrow if there's no change to the present political scene. Just bring crime rate down and bring in plenty of good jobs for MY sure can make it one! But must start providing quality training and education now.

This scenario in SG is probably the same everywhere around the world when life is just too good. Can only go down. People become greedier, more fussy and rising expectations. Overcrowding also.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not comparing at all.
Just cannot imagine one earning S$ 10k would still complain...
If I earn that amt then, I be living like a lord.

Haha bro, i think S$10k would be comfortable living, but certainly not living like a lord in SG, considering housing & car instalments, parent allowances, child & other living expenses etc... Certainly cant even buy a CCR 3 bedder condo or landed house with S$10k.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha bro, i think S$10k would be comfortable living, but certainly not living like a lord in SG, considering housing & car instalments, parent allowances, child & other living expenses etc... Certainly cant even buy a CCR 3 bedder condo or landed house with S$10k.

Bro, the crux of it all is there are people who earns a lot but still complain, yet there are people who do not earn enough but very contented.
S$10,000 = RM 25,000 per month. As a salary man, if I earn so much in Malaysia, I siao liao. Not rich and not rich enough is only a matter of perception.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it works for you because you don't have school going kids? Else the daily commuting is just too punishing.

Yah, agree. The traffic can be punishing. I have colleagues who live in JB. For the Singaporean, he reaches work only at 9-9.30am. For the Malaysians, some got to leave very early in the morning to beat the jam later. Then they just Zzzzz first before work starts. Do this for several years and I think it's not easy. Already the Singaporean colleague is thinking of relocating back to Singapore.

Unless yes, you have no school going kids, already retired (time in your hands!) or you are some Big Boss (can do whatever and anything you like). :smile:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always got younger grad people whom I spoke to. Lawyer, Dentists, Accountants in Big 5 etc.. They cant even afford downpayment on a 5-series or a 2nd Condo. This means something is seriously wrong with their salaries or the price of cars and properties in Singapore.

For lawyers, from what I know recently, the government is opening doors to more law grads overseas. This made the local law students unhappy. Suppose they earn $5k a month last time as a junior lawyer, this time I was told they have no choice but to accept $3k+ only.

Anyone who knows of law students from local uni who recently graduated can verify this with them.

Everything must run like a business here! Make profits! Lower cost.... Boost the economy! But in the end, I dunno who gets most of the money....

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the most unpopular minister in Singapore who made a massive screw-ups in his portfolios as Ministers in a few departments had actually owned LAND in Iskandar which he bought cheaply. I heard RM 10 plus psf.

He bought a few.

And during his tenure as a sensitive minister in a particular ministry, the prices in Singapore properties were jacked up and supplies were literally cut and prices were just shooting up without any controls.

Everyone rushed in to buy into Iskandar. This same ministers land is worth some RM 150/psf.

And still he seem to get away with it

Wow... didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing... Juicy news!

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serious bo?!! I find it too hard to believe. He most likely did not tell you the full picture. We Asians are very humble when it comes to salaries and we tend to quote much lesser amount than we really earn. Anyway, I've never heard anyone from the newly joined grads to those in managerial positions who will claim Money is enough. :smile:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the crux of it all is there are people who earns a lot but still complain, yet there are people who do not earn enough but very contented.
S$10,000 = RM 25,000 per month. As a salary man, if I earn so much in Malaysia, I siao liao. Not rich and not rich enough is only a matter of perception.

Bro, did you factor in a Japanese 1.4litres car here can cost S$140,000? (Those who drive please correct me if I'm wrong.) And a 85 square metres PUBLIC apartment (we call it HDB flat) can cost S$550,000 in the resale market? Factor in also the general cost of living. In Malaysia, you have real fruit juice at RM3-4? Over here, fruit juice is water added, sometimes with syrup, and half the glass is filled with ice. It will cost you S$2 or RM5.10. And children's education here not cheap. You want atas private centres for your kids, 1 month it costs more than S$1,000. The list goes on....

So S$10k a month salary is nothing to shout about. In fact, based on today's context and cost of living in SG, I feel that those who earn $10k a month belong to the upper section of the LOWER income group. They are not even quite in the middle income bracket yet.

Hope I am not scaring you the cost of living in SG. :smile:

Yes...as mentioned by some, grass is always greener on the other side. But for those who like the life overseas, they will have migrated by now. I know many ex-Singaporeans who have no regrets giving up their citizenship and live a much better life elsewhere. It works for some, but may not be suitable for others.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After checking through the details, I find CPF a fine scheme for the entire population. Your money is there and they are yours.

You cannot get similar returns/security net from private insurances based on low risk exposure (I have recently asked for several insurance quotations).

No scheme is perfect. I'm worried that populist policies to allow early withdrawal could cause depletion in some people's CPF account. Tax payers like us will have to bear the cost of supporting these people who mis-manage their retirement fund. I wouldn't want to help those who take the CPF money to gamble and lost, or give to their China mistress, then complain that the government (i.e. tax payers) should look after their old age.

My recommendation is to plan for your retirement without factoring in CPF. Take it as a safety net for your old age.

I question your financial acumen when you support the CPF as is. The CPF is invested by our sovereign funds. They get returns, purportedly, in the region of 7 percent and in turn pays 3 percent to CPF. Your CPF is losing in real terms. And you call that a good deal?

If the government were to let you manage your own money be investing in ETFs, you will way ahead. For example, if you invest $10k annually over the last 30 years in the SPY, your savings would have grown to $1.3 million over the period.

So, how is the CPF a good deal for sinkees?