• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Media now portraying PAP "cho bo lans" as on-the-ball

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In response to criticism that the govt/authorities/PAP/ministers are not doing anything, the PAP and are now staging a series of raids and the media has been told to specifically mention the minister/MP is in charge.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1. Police raided Mobile Air at the same time as Teo Ser Luck met with Sim Lim management council.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...k-meets-sim-lim-square-management-council-err

[h=1]Teo Ser Luck meets with Sim Lim Square management council on errant retailers[/h][h=2][/h]
By Cheryl Faith Wee

SINGAPORE - Minister of State for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck met the management council of electronics mall Sim Lim Square to discuss how it can work with the authorities to deal with errant retailers.
The management council is made up of 13 people who own units there.
In a statement released on Monday, Mr Teo said that there needs to be a collective effort among the Government, the Consumers Association of Singapore and industry players such as the mall's management.
He added: "While the police are investigating the case, we are also looking at enhancing our laws, strengthening the enforcement process and continuing with our engagement efforts."
This meeting took place after reports over the last few weeks about errant retailers in Sim Lim Square.
In early November, a Vietnamese tourist was overcharged for an iPhone 6 at Mobile Air, at unit 01-41. He reportedly went on his knees to beg for a refund, but was laughed at and eventually returned only half the amount.
Last month, a shopkeeper from the same shop tried to give a woman more than $1,000 in coins for a refund that had been ordered by the Small Claims Tribunal.
In the same month, a 19-year-old undergraduate was overcharged for warranty fees for an iPhone 6 at Mobile 22 at unit 01-42. She managed to get some money back but had to put up with shopkeepers who shouted at her.
In September, a domestic worker was caught in a dispute over $200 she paid for a phone from Mackin at unit 02-87. She said that her phone and receipt went missing at the shop after its staff distracted her.
In the statement about Monday's discussion, Mr Teo added: "Today's session was useful as we discussed how we could work together to curb errant retailers. Both sides agree that more effective measures must be in place, as such unfair business practices cannot be allowed to continue unheeded.
"The Management Council could implement some preventive measures in the interim as well as take a strong stand against errant retailers.
"There needs to be a collective effort among the Government, Case, industry players such as the malls' management, retailers and consumers.
"We urge consumers to continue exercising caution when making purchases, and retailers to be fair and professional."
Sim Lim Square is now exploring more efforts to raise consumer awareness and notify consumers of errant shops when they step into the mall.
Mr Teo noted: "Both sides agree on the need to better protect consumers - be they locals or tourists - and the rights of the majority of law-abiding retailers, to uphold Singapore's reputation as a retail destination."

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...nduct-raid-mobile-air-sim-lim-square-document

[h=1]Police conduct raid at Mobile Air in Sim Lim Square, documents seized[/h][h=2][/h]
By Cheryl Faith Wee

SINGAPORE - Police raided the errant Sim Lim Square retailer, Mobile Air, on Sunday and seized documents and products from the shop.
According to Shin Min Daily News, eight plainclothes officers were at the shop for more than two hours. They left with four large boxes of documents and products. They also took with them three computer monitors, said the report.
The mobile phone shop has been under fire for the last few weeks over its unethical sales tactics. It re-opened for business on Friday, but apparently under a new owner.
Mr Ricky Lee, 33, said he had bought over the business from Mr Jover Chew and would reopen under a different name, HJ Mobile.
Mr Lee was present when officers went down to the shop on Sunday, said Lianhe Wanbao. He told the evening daily: "Police are investigating Mobile Air. This has nothing to do with me." He also added that he would consider reopening the business after sorting out some legal proceedings with his lawyer.
The police told The Straits Times on Monday that they were there to follow up on reports lodged against Mobile Air.
The authorities appear to be stepping up efforts against errant retailers. On Monday, the management of Sim Lim Square met Mr Teo Ser Luck, the Minister of Trade and Industry, to discuss how to tackle the problem.
Mr Teo said in a media statement that unfair business practices "cannot be allowed to continue unheeded" and that the Government is looking at enhancing laws and strengthening eforcement.
Meanwhile, he urged the management of Sim Lim Square to "take a strong stand against errant retailers" and to put in place measures to prevent unfair business practices. Sim Lim Square's management told him that they hoped for harsher penalties for recalcitrant shops.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MWC made a raid on workers' dormitory and the MWC executive director specifically mentioned that chairman (and PAP MP) Yeo Guat Kwang directed the spot check.

50 workers found crammed into two condo units

Many sleep on the floor amid filth; some say they have not been paid

By Amelia Tan

One unit is the size of a typical two-bedroom condominium apartment and could house a family of about four comfortably.
But two of these units in a condo along Selegie Road were, instead, housing about 50 construction workers from Bangladesh and India, a spot check by the Migrant Workers' Centre (MWC) and The Straits Times found yesterday.
Rotting food, soiled clothes and bags were strewn on the grimy floors of the units located in Selegie Centre near Little India.
The men slept shoulder to shoulder on the floor or on wooden boards along the corridors outside the apartments. The walls were stained brown and cabinets were broken, while a damp stench permeated the hallways.
When asked if they thought the conditions were bad or unbearable, the men, nervous from the spot check, could only reply: "I don't know."
According to Urban Redevelopment Authority guidelines, rented residential properties can house a maximum of eight people, regardless of size.

Yesterday's spot check came after the MWC received a call on its hotline on Tuesday afternoon from a worker.

He said that his company, Harri Construction & Maintenance, and some of the company's sub-contractors were putting workers up in poor housing and owed them several months of salaries.

MWC executive director Bernard Menon said: "Our staff who answered the call sensed that there was an urgent need to look into the case. Our chairman, Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, directed us to do a spot check later in the night."

Mr Menon added: "Upon our inspection, we found that the living conditions of the workers are unacceptable. We urge MOM (Ministry of Manpower) to take serious action against the employer. This kind of behaviour cannot be condoned."
MOM officers went down to the scene later and took down the particulars of all the workers there.
An MOM spokesman said: "Our initial assessment is that the units are overcrowded and we are investigating several employers for failing to ensure that their foreign employees have acceptable accommodation."
The spokesman added that the ministry is also looking into the claims of some workers who said they were owed salaries.
Employers found guilty of failing to provide acceptable accommodation can be fined up to $10,000, and/or jailed for up to 12 months.
The MWC team also visited a makeshift hut in Geylang Lorong 8, where some 16 Indian national workers from Harri Construction & Maintenance are living.
The zinc-roof hut is located at the backyard of an apartment block, built above an underground sewage tank.
Some of the firm's workers say they are Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass holders but are paid only $900 a month. The salary requirement for S Pass holders is at least $2,200 and at least $3,300 for EP holders.
"My agent promised me a salary of $4,800 a month. But I get only $900 and my boss hasn't paid me for many months. I have been cheated," said a worker who has a degree in engineering from India.
Harri Construction & Maintenance manager Nallusamy Narayanan dismissed the workers' claims when contacted by The Straits Times.
Mr Nallusamy said the workers are unhappy because they want three days off a week but he offered them only a weekly rest day.
He added: "I want them to stay in proper dormitories. But they want to stay in Selegie because it is near Little India. They like Geylang, because you know, there are girls there and they can drink."
Mr Nallusamy, a Singapore permanent resident and Indian national, said he moved 14 workers temporarily to the apartments in Selegie Centre this week. He insisted there are usually only 15 workers in each apartment.
"They were living in a shophouse in Tanjong Katong but they drank and caused trouble for residents. So I moved them to Selegie for a few days only," he said.
He confirmed that some of his workers had complained to MOM that he owed them salaries. "But later, I paid them their salaries. I don't owe them any money now."

ksgd0717

Alfrescian
Loyal
"This is what the WP often does when caught under the spotlight..."
MOS, you can make me clean.

"...What will be the outcome"
LBH, you asks me i ask who?

"Of course, i'm worried"
Nigel, don't worry. This is the season of many gladness.

"...Madam Quek are unconcerned about AHPETC's deflicit..."
The former PAP Chairman, man behind the town council, can still talk.

"Others are less ...A fifth feel it is not right..."
Ellen, what is collateral damage? Nandri.

Last edited: