• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Christian installed as Governor of Jakarta despite violent protests

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese Christian installed as Governor of Jakarta despite violent protests

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/chinese-christian-installed-governor-jakarta-despite-violent-protests

20744760.JPG

JAKARTA — Despite violent protests by hard-line Islamic vigilante groups and threats of a legislative boycott by rival politicians, Mr Basuki Tjahaja Purnama today (Nov 19) was officially inaugurated as governor of Jakarta.

Mr Purnama, also popularly known as Ahok, was installed at the State Palace by President Joko Widodo in an afternoon ceremony broadcasted live by the nation’s major news networks.

“I promise to fulfil my obligations as a governor to the best of my ability and I will uphold Indonesia’s 1945 Constitution and implement all regulations fairly,” Mr Purnama said when taking the oath of office.

The first governor of Indonesia’s capital of Chinese descent, and a Protestant Christian, Basuki was Mr Widodo’s No 2 at City Hall until the latter was elected president.

SELECTING A NEW DEPUTY

Several cabinet ministers were present for the inauguration, including Home Affairs Minister Tjahjo Kumolo and Spatial Planning Minister Ferry Mursyidan.

The new governor himself was accompanied by his wife Veronica Tan, his children and his mother.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hundreds of Islamic hardliners over the last few weeks have protested against the inauguration of Ahok, underlining the growing religious intolerance in a nation with the world's biggest Muslim population.

Basuki_Tjahaja_Purnama_jakarta_christian_governor_reuters_171114.JPG

Thousands of police were deployed around the capital this week in case of violence, but there was only a small group of peaceful protesters today.
"I don't need to be approved by everyone," Ahok told reporters after being sworn in by the president. "The ones that deny me aren't Jakartans. They come from Bekasi, Depok, Bogor, which are not in my territory."

Ahok, who is the first ethnic Chinese governor of Jakarta, has a reputation for being a transparent, no-nonsense and at times abrasive leader. His style has been praised by residents long weary of a graft-ridden and inert bureaucracy.

Many Muslim organisations have also voiced support for Ahok.

The country of 240 million people has seen a rise in attacks over the last decade against Christians, Shia Muslims and members of Ahmadiyah, a small Islamic sect.

Widodo's administration has pledged to protect all religious minorities in Indonesia, where nearly 90% of the population consider themselves Muslim.

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...overnor-despite-protests#sthash.qcXmgDo3.dpuf

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its fucking time Chinese ppl there had it good. Wtf most Indon Chinese don't have Chinese names and speak bahasa Indon instead of Chinese wtf else do they want? Change their faces into m&d Indon monkey type of faces?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indonesia is going into the right direction, unlike Malaysia which is becoming more and more fundamentalist.

Being a Christian, Muslim or Buddhist or whatever doesn't make you a better person. Religion makes no difference to our lives. We have a living example in this forum, an ex opposition candidate who recently wrote his own memoirs flashing religious credentials but behaving otherwise.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a good sign for the region that Indonesia doesn't become fundamentalist and religiously rigid. She is endowed with the resources to feed the entire world and it is better they remain level-headed. I see Indonesia as a potential power in the region and has the ability to set the moral code for Islam in the world. Such a vast land and region with parts still untouched by humans, she indeed has a potentially bright future.

Cheers!

Indonesia is going into the right direction, unlike Malaysia which is becoming more and more fundamentalist.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;K3G2ilvpOO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3G2ilvpOO8[/video]