• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NGO's executive director got no executive power???

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quote: "MWC executive director Bernard Menon said: "Our staff who answered the call sensed that there was an urgent need to look into the case. Our chairman, Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, directed us to do a spot check later in the night."""

The title executive director (ED) means that the person is a director with executive powers i.e. make decisions. Moreover doing spot check should be a routine task. Why must ED get permission from chairman (PAP lackey Yeo Guat Kwang and holder of more than 60 appointments)?

If the chairman is the one making the decision then he will be designated Executive Chairman and there will be no Executive Director designation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...orkers-found-crammed-two-condo-units-20141120

50 workers found crammed into two condo units

Many sleep on the floor amid filth; some say they have not been paid

By Amelia Tan

One unit is the size of a typical two-bedroom condominium apartment and could house a family of about four comfortably.

But two of these units in a condo along Selegie Road were, instead, housing about 50 construction workers from Bangladesh and India, a spot check by the Migrant Workers' Centre (MWC) and The Straits Times found yesterday.

Rotting food, soiled clothes and bags were strewn on the grimy floors of the units located in Selegie Centre near Little India.

The men slept shoulder to shoulder on the floor or on wooden boards along the corridors outside the apartments. The walls were stained brown and cabinets were broken, while a damp stench permeated the hallways.

When asked if they thought the conditions were bad or unbearable, the men, nervous from the spot check, could only reply: "I don't know."

According to Urban Redevelopment Authority guidelines, rented residential properties can house a maximum of eight people, regardless of size.

Yesterday's spot check came after the MWC received a call on its hotline on Tuesday afternoon from a worker.

He said that his company, Harri Construction & Maintenance, and some of the company's sub-contractors were putting workers up in poor housing and owed them several months of salaries.

MWC executive director Bernard Menon said: "Our staff who answered the call sensed that there was an urgent need to look into the case. Our chairman, Mr Yeo Guat Kwang, directed us to do a spot check later in the night."

Mr Menon added: "Upon our inspection, we found that the living conditions of the workers are unacceptable. We urge MOM (Ministry of Manpower) to take serious action against the employer. This kind of behaviour cannot be condoned."

MOM officers went down to the scene later and took down the particulars of all the workers there.

An MOM spokesman said: "Our initial assessment is that the units are overcrowded and we are investigating several employers for failing to ensure that their foreign employees have acceptable accommodation."

The spokesman added that the ministry is also looking into the claims of some workers who said they were owed salaries.

Employers found guilty of failing to provide acceptable accommodation can be fined up to $10,000, and/or jailed for up to 12 months.

The MWC team also visited a makeshift hut in Geylang Lorong 8, where some 16 Indian national workers from Harri Construction & Maintenance are living.

The zinc-roof hut is located at the backyard of an apartment block, built above an underground sewage tank.

Some of the firm's workers say they are Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass holders but are paid only $900 a month. The salary requirement for S Pass holders is at least $2,200 and at least $3,300 for EP holders.

"My agent promised me a salary of $4,800 a month. But I get only $900 and my boss hasn't paid me for many months. I have been cheated," said a worker who has a degree in engineering from India.

Harri Construction & Maintenance manager Nallusamy Narayanan dismissed the workers' claims when contacted by The Straits Times.

Mr Nallusamy said the workers are unhappy because they want three days off a week but he offered them only a weekly rest day.

He added: "I want them to stay in proper dormitories. But they want to stay in Selegie because it is near Little India. They like Geylang, because you know, there are girls there and they can drink."

Mr Nallusamy, a Singapore permanent resident and Indian national, said he moved 14 workers temporarily to the apartments in Selegie Centre this week. He insisted there are usually only 15 workers in each apartment.

"They were living in a shophouse in Tanjong Katong but they drank and caused trouble for residents. So I moved them to Selegie for a few days only," he said.

He confirmed that some of his workers had complained to MOM that he owed them salaries. "But later, I paid them their salaries. I don't owe them any money now."

[email protected]

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cover backside when get exposed. This has been going on for ages. :rolleyes:

Wow, the Imperial Eunuch Yeo has another job! People like him have zero risk of unemployment. :wink:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
This case very interesting. Know what is the root of the problem? Indian national easily getting labour from incredible India dodging all the rules put in place by our highly paid lawmakers and civil servants. Too easy to get cheap labour, too easy to dodge regulations.

Vote the PAP for more.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This case very interesting. Know what is the root of the problem? Indian national easily getting labour from incredible India dodging all the rules put in place by our highly paid lawmakers and civil servants. Too easy to get cheap labour, too easy to dodge regulations.

Vote the PAP for more.

There are no rules to dodge, because the PAP govt had already signed a comprehensive economic partnership agreement with India. It is part of the deal. Nothing to be sneaky about, it's all legal. :wink:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is a bullshit article about a crackdown on human abuse.clearly this is what PAP envisage the way to go the future of modern accomodation in 6.9 million population white paper,cramming 50 sinkies into 2 condos in a racial enclave.