• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM Lee pretentiously 'celebrates' with us local university rejects in Australia

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I remember when LKY visited Australia the Sporeans there greeted him by wearing hoods.

Can't remember the occassion but I don't think it was halloween :biggrin:

I recall my friend telling me that when some PAP politicians visited US unis to meet with sinkies students, they were heckled and scolded by the crowd. SOme years ago, but of course not reported by SHit Times.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
sinkies gotta take risks sometimes,pls dont be balless even when ur overseas.the future is yours to make not for LHL to decide.do it not for the sake of urself but for the sake of sinkie generations and the generations after.

Take off ur shoe throw it and shout merdeka singapura!!!!death to son of a mongrel!!!

Yes, I agree. They should be asking him to "Why am I here instead of in NUS"? They should heckle and scold him. What have they got to lose? If there is action against them waiting for them to go back back to singapore and get arrested, they can apply for political refugee status in Aussieland, and get PR that way.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TO HELL WITH SG50

I am a Singaporean studying in the University of Queensland in Australia and I can’t help feeling betrayed by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's recent visit to us Singaporean students here after his G20 Summit.

PM Lee came here and spoke about how we should be celebrating SG50 next year even though we are overseas and he highlighted how successful Singapore has been over the past 50 years and how it has become “prosperous” and “respected”.

While I understand that he wants to celebrate, I think he doesn’t actually understand why many of us are forced to go overseas to study.

University of Queensland is quite a reputable university, perhaps not exactly on par with NUS but it is still ranked top 50 in the world. If I am able to secure a university spot in UQ and many other Australian university, why am I unable to get into NUS or NTU? (FYI, I got A B E for my GCE "A" levels and not a single course in NUS/NTU accepted me)

For me and many others here that I have talked to, it is because we have been rejected by local universities in Singapore.

Despite the Singapore society putting a huge emphasis on the need for a degree and the obvious pay gaps between degree holders and non-degree holders, they have not made an effort to ensure that there are enough university places in Singapore for students who actually want to study.

When I was entering university, Singapore only had about 26% of students entering locally funded universities. Now, I think the government has tried to expand this to 30% or 40% but it is still well short of the 50%+ seen in other countries like Finland and Denmark. Worse still Singapore university places are currently filled with an obscene number of foreigners: "45% of university students are not Singaporeans?"

Full article at PM Lee pretentiously 'celebrates' with us local university rejects in Australia

Pardon me, a non-resident of Singapore for the past 3 decades, for commenting on your discussion thread.

I am not up to date with what kind of GCE "A" level results are required to be selected by the Singaporean universities.

During my days in the late 1970's, there were not that many students who have 3 or 4 A's at GCE "A" levels, when most of us sat for four "A" level subjects and the General Paper.
Several years ago, an individual who continues to reside in Singapore told me that during my time, there may be a few students who had 4 A's, the modern Singapore produces close to hundreds of students with 4 A's.

I may have only one A, two B's, one E, and a B for the General Paper, and considered around the top half of my cohort.

With respect, at the present internet age, an "A" level student with one A, one B and one E, is nothing to crow about.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
With respect, at the present internet age, an "A" level student with one A, one B and one E, is nothing to crow about.

I agree. I may be slightly more up to date than you.

Firstly, these days most students take FOUR A level subjects (those who take 3 are generally ones who find it hard to cope with the additional workload)

Secondly, to look good one has to take S papers, additional exams at more advanced levels to shine.

Third, if you have only just 3 A level subjects and one of them is an E (to me that's essentially like a fail) then it rings alarm bells to admissions people.

How does this guy enter U of Queensland? Money.

Universities want to make money. Which is why NUS also takes in many of these foreign students too.

No point complaining. Look forward and make a better life for yourself, that's what I would tell that guy.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. I may be slightest more up to date than you but just a little.

Firstly, these days most students take FOUR A level subjects (those who take 3 are generally ones who find it hard to cope with the additional workload)

Secondly, to look good one has to take S papers, additional exams at more advanced levels to shine.

Third, if you have only just 3 A level subjects and one of them is an E (to me that's essentially like a fail) then it rings alarm bells to admissions people.

Universities want to make money. Which is why NUS also takes in many of these foreign students too.

No point complaining. Look forward and make a better life for yourself, that's what I would tell that guy.

so why cant sinkies pay to go to local universities?money my ass.....the government already has money up the wazoo,they have entire industries and companies and monopolies to make them money,they just care about rankings now so basically its free scholarships for all to come study for free while 3rd rate sinkies go overseas.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall my friend telling me that when some PAP politicians visited US unis to meet with sinkies students, they were heckled and scolded by the crowd. SOme years ago, but of course not reported by SHit Times.

Those PAP politicians are busy people & for them to visit the Uni it must have been an Ivy league University. During my time the visits were carried out by embassy staff whose job was to pycho the students that Spore was a great place to return to:eek:

Of course if you have been living free in a western society it is a tough sell for the PAP to sell their message to these Sporeans. The PAP gov't distributes an international version of the Straits Times to these Universities where the propaganda is less obvious. However most of these Sporeans are reminded of reality when they return to Spore on breaks.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course if you have been living free in a western society it is a tough sell for the PAP to sell their message to these Sporeans. The PAP gov't distributes an international version of the Straits Times to these Universities where the propaganda is less obvious. However most of these Sporeans are reminded of reality when they return to Spore on breaks.

after living overseas for 30 years, it's an easy peesy sell. i've often encouraged sinkie students in the u.s. to return to sg. the less sinkies we have here the better.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
after living overseas for 30 years, it's an easy peesy sell. i've often encouraged sinkie students in the u.s. to return to sg. the less sinkies we have here the better.

sinkies are a rarity overseas but still encountering one just gives u a feeling of nausea and sinkiness(like chinkiness).....however the major problem now is the hordes of PRC chinks everywhere.life is a curse,the more u try to go ang moh and distance urself from these unwesternised chinks and their chinky characteristics....the more they haunt u.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How many males do you know who love doing NS/reservists or having their CPF locked up:confused:

My experience is that many Sporeans who have made the move are eager to trade their passport as soon as the waiting period is over. In Canada it is 5 painful years. Many look forward to when they can get their hands on their CPF when they give up their Spore citizenship.

In many cases it is a multi-generation family which has made the move. It starts when the parents make the decision for a better life. They take their children along.

However I know of one case when it is the children who moved first. A pair of brothers who were from Raffles. When they received their degrees in Canada their parents visited for their sons convocation. I was surprised by how bitter the father was working for the Spore gov't :eek: The brothers had plans to sponsor their parents when they retired & have them move to Canada. Can imagine the $$$ that the parents had in the CPF.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The brothers had plans to sponsor their parents when they retired & have them move to Canada. Can imagine the $$$ that the parents had in the CPF.

after 30 years of paying taxes and seeing their tax dollars go to bums and losers easily without them lifting a finger, they would be wondering "wtf am i doing here? sg is such a wonderful place for retirement." :p

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. I may be slightly more up to date than you.

Hello Doc,

Long time no see.
I agree with you re: look forward and make a better life.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
after 30 years of paying taxes and seeing their tax dollars go to bums and losers easily without them lifting a finger, they would be wondering "wtf am i doing here? sg is such a wonderful place for retirement." :p

i rather see tax dollars go to bum and losers than undeserving incompetent self pontificating civil servants and servant leaders.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i rather see tax dollars go to bum and losers than undeserving incompetent self pontificating civil servants and servant leaders.

money going to bums and losers is not only wasted but also will yield more negative equity as they demand more, and very soon state will go bankrupt if it doesn't have an abundance of valuable natural resources such as oil. on the contrary, money going to bright and civic-minded elites such as pappies of miniature material, oops sorry i mean minister material, will most likely yield positive returns immeasurable to the state and people. :biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Angmoh played dirty game to their own locals and idiots Sinkies think they are good enough if they can get into their universities.

Many angmoh uni created 'useless' courses which their graduates cannot find jobs.

Angmoh local students scored 65% HSC results can get a place in their own university which these rubbished results should go to Poly or trade courses.

Does this idiot Sinkies still think his 'A' level result are good enough to get a degree?

Since LHL got nothing to do there and need marketing material in his VTO soon PM job, might as well go see these idiot parents spending stupiak money at their children and laughing at them.

Anyway, these degree certificate are for braggart Sinkie parents to show off that their kid also uni degree type even though their 'A' results are rubbish good for Poly only.

knn, Sinkie parents are really daft. Blame all these on PAP for not being a open and caring political party to govern Singapore.

The best way to show displeasure is to be absent while he's in town. Whether you're in London or Australia or anywhere else.
If you can resist the free gifts and free buffet, you'll do fine.

It's half a century since getting kicked out of Malaysia, so expect an escalation of the wayang antics. "Connecting with the sons and daughters of Singapore who are abroad"... yeah, how about no?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Angmoh played dirty game to their own locals and idiots Sinkies think they are good enough if they can get into their universities.

Many angmoh uni created 'useless' courses which their graduates cannot find jobs.

Angmoh local students scored 65% HSC results can get a place in their own university which these rubbished results should go to Poly or trade courses.

Does this idiot Sinkies still think his 'A' level result are good enough to get a degree?

Since LHL got nothing to do there and need marketing material in his VTO soon PM job, might as well go see these idiot parents spending stupiak money at their children and laughing at them.

Anyway, these degree certificate are for braggart Sinkie parents to show off that their kid also uni degree type even though their 'A' results are rubbish good for Poly only.

knn, Sinkie parents are really daft. Blame all these on PAP for not being a open and caring political party to govern Singapore.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/publ...enomenon-of-nonsense-jobs-20130831-2sy3j.html

The best way to show displeasure is to be absent while he's in town. Whether you're in London or Australia or anywhere else.
If you can resist the free gifts and free buffet, you'll do fine.

It's half a century since getting kicked out of Malaysia, so expect an escalation of the wayang antics. "Connecting with the sons and daughters of Singapore who are abroad"... yeah, how about no?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is foreigners with dubious qualifications r entering gahmen unis paid for by taxpayers n locals r not getting the benefits. Foreigners whose results r worse than the ts plight n cannot even speak english r being admitted. So is this not a betrayal by the pap?
Pardon me, a non-resident of Singapore for the past 3 decades, for commenting on your discussion thread.

I am not up to date with what kind of GCE "A" level results are required to be selected by the Singaporean universities.

During my days in the late 1970's, there were not that many students who have 3 or 4 A's at GCE "A" levels, when most of us sat for four "A" level subjects and the General Paper.
Several years ago, an individual who continues to reside in Singapore told me that during my time, there may be a few students who had 4 A's, the modern Singapore produces close to hundreds of students with 4 A's.

I may have only one A, two B's, one E, and a B for the General Paper, and considered around the top half of my cohort.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is foreigners with dubious qualifications r entering gahmen unis paid for by taxpayers n locals r not getting the benefits. Foreigners whose results r worse than the ts plight n cannot even speak english r being admitted. So is this not a betrayal by the pap?

I submit that the local universities should and must allocate at least 90 per cent of the total to Singapore citizens.

The remaining ten per cent may be for foreigners who may be paying a much higher tuition fees than Singaporeans.

With regard to the SG government providing "bond free" scholarships to foreigners, I believe that half a dozen for each ASEAN country, India and PRC, may appear acceptable, but possibly the SG government is trying to attract a few of those top students to stay in Singapore. If the foreigners are close to straight A's, then I believe it is fair, but I will not give them a bond free scholarship.