• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Advise from Warren Buffet that CPF eliminator Whore Jinx should follow

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
1)Buying a stock is about more than just the price.

"It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price."

2) You don't have to be a genius to invest well.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beats the guy with 130 IQ."

3) But, master the basics.

"To invest successfully, you need not understand beta, efficient markets, modern portfolio theory, option pricing or emerging markets. You may, in fact, be better off knowing nothing of these. That, of course, is not the prevailing view at most business schools, whose finance curriculum tends to be dominated by such subjects. In our view, though, investment students need only two well-taught courses — How to Value a Business, and How to Think About Market Prices."

4) Don't buy a stock just because everyone hates it.

"None of this means, however, that a business or stock is an intelligent purchase simply because it is unpopular; a contrarian approach is just as foolish as a follow-the-crowd strategy. What's required is thinking rather than polling. Unfortunately, Bertrand Russell's observation about life in general applies with unusual force in the financial world: "Most men would rather die than think. Many do."

5) Bad things aren't obvious when times are good.

"After all, you only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out."

6) Always be liquid.

"I have pledged — to you, the rating agencies and myself — to always run Berkshire with more than ample cash. We never want to count on the kindness of strangers in order to meet tomorrow’s obligations. When forced to choose, I will not trade even a night’s sleep for the chance of extra profits."

7) The best time to buy a company is when it's in trouble.

"The best thing that happens to us is when a great company gets into temporary trouble ... We want to buy them when they're on the operating table."

8) Stocks have always survived crises.

"Over the long term, the stock market news will be good. In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497."

9) Don't be fooled by that Cinderella feeling you get from great returns.

"The line separating investment and speculation, which is never bright and clear, becomes blurred still further when most market participants have recently enjoyed triumphs. Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money. After a heady experience of that kind, normally sensible people drift into behavior akin to that of Cinderella at the ball. They know that overstaying the festivities — that is, continuing to speculate in companies that have gigantic valuations relative to the cash they are likely to generate in the future — will eventually bring on pumpkins and mice. But they nevertheless hate to miss a single minute of what is one helluva party. Therefore, the giddy participants all plan to leave just seconds before midnight. There’s a problem, though: They are dancing in a room in which the clocks have no hands."

10) Think long-term.

"Your goal as an investor should simply be to purchase, at a rational price, a part interest in an easily-understandable business whose earnings are virtually certain to be materially higher five, 10 and 20 years from now. Over time, you will find only a few companies that meet these standards — so when you see one that qualifies, you should buy a meaningful amount of stock. You must also resist the temptation to stray from your guidelines: If you aren't willing to own a stock for 10 years, don't even think about owning it for 10 minutes. Put together a portfolio of companies whose aggregate earnings march upward over the years, and so also will the portfolio's market value."

11) Forever is a good holding period.

"When we own portions of outstanding businesses with outstanding managements, our favourite holding period is forever."

12) Buy businesses that can be run by idiots.

"I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will."

13) Be greedy when others are fearful.

"Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

14) You don't have to move at every opportunity.

"The stock market is a no-called-strike game. You don't have to swing at everything — you can wait for your pitch. The problem when you're a money manager is that your fans keep yelling, 'Swing, you bum!' "

15) Ignore politics and macroeconomics when picking stocks.

"We will continue to ignore political and economic forecasts, which are an expensive distraction for many investors and businessmen. Thirty years ago, no one could have foreseen the huge expansion of the Vietnam War, wage and price controls, two oil shocks, the resignation of a president, the dissolution of the Soviet Union, a one-day drop in the Dow of 508 points, or treasury bill yields fluctuating between 2.8 per cent and 17.4 per cent.

"But, surprise — none of these blockbuster events made the slightest dent in Ben Graham's investment principles. Nor did they render unsound the negotiated purchases of fine businesses at sensible prices. Imagine the cost to us, then, if we had let a fear of unknowns cause us to defer or alter the deployment of capital. Indeed, we have usually made our best purchases when apprehensions about some macro event were at a peak. Fear is the foe of the faddist, but the friend of the fundamentalist.

16) The more you trade, the more you underperform.

"Long ago, Sir Isaac Newton gave us three laws of motion, which were the work of genius. But Sir Isaac’s talents didn’t extend to investing: He lost a bundle in the South Sea Bubble, explaining later, “I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men.” If he had not been traumatized by this loss, Sir Isaac might well have gone on to discover the Fourth Law of Motion: For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases."

17) Price and value are not the same.

"Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get.' Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down."

18) There are no bonus points for complicated investments.

"Our investments continue to be few in number and simple in concept: The truly big investment idea can usually be explained in a short paragraph. We like a business with enduring competitive advantages that is run by able and owner-oriented people. When these attributes exist, and when we can make purchases at sensible prices, it is hard to go wrong (a challenge we periodically manage to overcome).

"Investors should remember that their scorecard is not computed using Olympic-diving methods: Degree-of-difficulty doesn’t count. If you are right about a business whole value is largely dependent on a single key factor that is both easy to understand and enduring, the payoff is the same as if you had correctly analyzed an investment alternative characterized by many constantly shifting and complex variables."

19) A good businessperson makes a good investor.

"I am a better investor because I am a businessman, and a better businessman because I am no investor."

20) Higher taxes aren't a dealbreaker.

"SUPPOSE that an investor you admire and trust comes to you with an investment idea. “This is a good one,” he says enthusiastically. “I’m in it, and I think you should be, too.”

Would your reply possibly be this? “Well, it all depends on what my tax rate will be on the gain you’re saying we’re going to make. If the taxes are too high, I would rather leave the money in my savings account, earning a quarter of one per cent.” Only in Grover Norquist’s imagination does such a response exist."

21) Companies that don't change can be great investments.

"Our approach is very much profiting from lack of change rather than from change. With Wrigley chewing gum, it's the lack of change that appeals to me. I don't think it is going to be hurt by the Internet. That's the kind of business I like."

22) Time will tell.

"Time is the friend of the wonderful business, the enemy of the mediocre."

23) This is the most important thing.

"Rule No. 1: never lose money; rule No. 2: don't forget rule No. 1"

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Ho Ching has outperformed Warren Buffet so she doesn't need his advice.

Vision 2030: Abu Dhabi Model Economies

A capital future Read all of the features in The National's Abu Dhabi Model Economies series. Read articles

For Mubadala and ADIA in Abu Dhabi, in Singapore read Temasek Holdings and GIC.

The island state, used by the UAE as a model for economic development, has its own government-owned investment groups, which have become a vital part of its financial and economic life.

Although the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) is bigger, Temasek is arguably better known in the financial world.

Temasek (it derives from the old Javanese word for "sea town") caused a stir when it appeared to "call" the market in the Chinese financial sector, selling stakes in two of China's biggest banks - sending a shiver through world markets early last month.

The Singaporean fund, an investment company owned by the government, was the biggest foreign investor in the Chinese banking sector, with multibillion-dollar stakes in the Bank of China and China Construction Bank, but it sold down about US$3.6 billion (Dh13.2bn) of its total holding, for a tidy profit of about $1.2bn.

Nagi Hamiyeh, the managing director of Temasek's investment unit, says the sales were purely investment decisions, and pointed out that it retained substantial holdings in the Chinese financial sector. "We've still got $13bn in Bank of China."

But the market effect showed the increasing power of Temasek as a global investing force. The Singaporean company had won important political points with Beijing when it bought the stakes in 2009, just as cash-strapped western banks were offloading their interests in China. Just as with its Abu Dhabi counterparts - Mubadala Development, a strategic investment company owned by the Government, and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority - Temasek is wary of the phrase "sovereign wealth fund" (SWF), and likes to call itself simply "a government-owned investment company".

In fact, its origins are very similar to the Abu Dhabi companies, if somewhat older.

Temasek's seed capital came from the grant of government-owned assets more than 30 years ago, mainly in airlines and telecommunications, rather than oil revenues, as in the UAE. The privatisation of the SingTel communications group in the 1990s also gave Temasek another injection of assets.

Temasek has adopted strictly commercial criteria as its basic business philosophy, and gets top marks on the transparency scales drawn up by investing institutions in their dealings with SWFs. It was a party to the Santiago Principles agreed between western institutions and global SWFs in 2009.

But the comparison Temasek likes to make, rather than the SWF league, is a more telling one: at its recent annual financial report presentation in Singapore, it showed a chart of its performance compared with Berkshire Hathaway, the company run by Warren Buffett, the legendary US investor dubbed the Sage of Omaha for the shrewdness of his financial dealings.

Over a 20-year period, Temasek outperformed Mr Buffett, with a total return of 15 per cent compared with his 13 per cent; over the past two years, the Singaporeans have raced away, with a 22 per cent return against Berkshire Hathaway's 9 per cent.

After Singapore, where Temasek holds 32 per cent of its assets, the investment policy is distinctly slanted towards emerging markets, and firmly anchored in Asia. Some 45 per cent is in Asian assets outside Singapore, with a large proportion in Malaysia. Only 20 per cent is in the West (including Australia and New Zealand).

Like many investors in the UAE, Temasek is becoming increasingly attracted by investment opportunities in Africa. "There are potential problems there, of course, like governance and lack of transparency, and we are cautious by nature, but things are improving, especially in South Africa, " says a Temasek executive.

Temasek has announced a new venture in partnership with South Africa's wealthy Oppenheimer family, setting up a $300 million fund to invest in African consumer and agricultural businesses.

The biggest chunk of Temasek's portfolio is invested in financial services, followed by transport, industrials, telecoms and life sciences.

"Real estate forms only a small part of the Temasek portfolio,"says the executive. "We have equity stakes in real estate companies in Singapore and joint ventures with the Malaysian government, but property is not a big component."

The investment policy has been an undoubted financial success. Apart from a blip in crisis-gripped 2009, the portfolio value has risen in every one of the past eight years, and stood at S$193bn (Dh582bn) at the end of March.

Profits have also recovered quickly over the past 12 months, following two years of downturn in the aftermath of the financial crisis. In the year to March, net profits amounted to S$12.7bn, up from S$4.6bn a year earlier. Debts were reduced by nearly half in that period, to S$9.5bn.

Temasek executives say they come across their Abu Dhabi counterparts as competitors in the international investment circuit, and are aware of "strategic relationships" at the highest levels of Singapore-UAE relations.

One significant link is the role of Baroness Shriti Vadera, a former British government minister, as an adviser to Temasek. She also advised the Dubai Government at the most sensitive stages of the negotiations over Dubai World's restructuring.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/business/...-a-company-that-outdoes-buffett#ixzz3JP4GOdLY
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vision 2030: Abu Dhabi Model Economies

A capital future Read all of the features in The National's Abu Dhabi Model Economies series. Read articles

For Mubadala and ADIA in Abu Dhabi, in Singapore read Temasek Holdings and GIC.

Over a 20-year period, Temasek outperformed Mr Buffett, with a total return of 15 per cent compared with his 13 per cent; over the past two years, the Singaporeans have raced away, with a 22 per cent return against Berkshire Hathaway's 9 per cent.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/business/...-a-company-that-outdoes-buffett#ixzz3JP4GOdLY
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

ho ching has been with GIC for more than 20 yrs?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
ho ching has been with GIC for more than 20 yrs?

hahahaha, 20 years ago, she was only a young 30ish year old cunt in Chartered Industries mah. Sam the Sheep fucker Leong is so desperate he has to quote from an Arab Abu Dhabi website. hahahahhaha. Yes, donch pray pray, that Abu Dhabi shit is more powderful than Forbes and Wall Street Journal combined, ok?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sinkies as usual placed blind faith in those traitors
Wait till they see books on change of Gahbrament
Aiyah there is no secret to trading or investment
For Sage of Omaha said in very simple terms
Even five year old child can understand no joke
Rule One don't lose money Rule Two is ... ...

[video=youtube;TkvXcPlQsjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvXcPlQsjY[/video]

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
hahahaha, 20 years ago, she was only a young 30ish year old cunt in Chartered Industries mah. Sam the Sheep fucker Leong is so desperate he has to quote from an Arab Abu Dhabi website. hahahahhaha. Yes, donch pray pray, that Abu Dhabi shit is more powderful than Forbes and Wall Street Journal combined, ok?

Nothing wrong with Arab news sources. Al Jazeera gets top marks for balanced news coverage.

As usual you cherry pick your sources and when they don't dance to your tune, you try discredit the source which makes your behavior no different from the party you claim to loath.

You really are pathetic.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent article. The numbers speak for themselves. Seasoned investors like Madam Ho plod quietly to grow our country's reserves while braggarts like Buffett watch on helplessly as Temasek's returns race ahead.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Excellent article. The numbers speak for themselves. Seasoned investors like Madam Ho plod quietly to grow our country's reserves while braggarts like Buffett watch on helplessly as Temasek's returns race ahead.

Well put. I have added to your points.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you bought shares of fb, tsla, gpro, ilmn, aapl, and goog (which i have recommended) several moons ago when they were at ipo, lows, pre-split, you would have earned after-tax profits that can buy you another home in cash. by the way, i bought into baba when it was 2 digits. :wink:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you bought shares of fb, tsla, gpro, ilmn, aapl, and goog (which i have recommended) several moons ago when they were at ipo, lows, pre-split, you would have earned after-tax profits that can buy you another home in cash. by the way, i bought into baba when it was 2 digits. :wink:

oh ok cool,do u have any tips now that can make us millionaires in 5 years time?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh ok cool,do u have any tips now that can make us millionaires in 5 years time?

i have already given stock tips for any sinkie to become a millionaire. you need capital or a principal sum in terms of cash to start with. most of the stocks recommended moons ago would have earned you 75 to over 100% in returns. i did not mention nflx but at its high, i was enjoying a 69% return. less fortunately, i'm trading stock in the u.s., and capital gains are subject to a near 50% capital gains tax for short term trade (less than 1 year) and 20% tax for long term (more than 1 year). unlike in sg, where you have zero capital gains tax. you can trade more, earn more and in shorter terms without worrying about capital gains. sg and the pap are the best. that's why more successful american hedge fund managers and day traders are giving up u.s. citizenships to become sg citizens. just by not paying capital gains tax alone, they become not only multi-millionaires but billionaires.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How does anyone know when nothing is independently verifiable? Like I say many times, sinkapore is so insignificant that outside bodies just take the propaganda dished out by the PAP. Garbage in, garbage out.