• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CPF: Lost More Than $100 Billion Over The Years In Bad Investments?

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Real Singapore

CPF: LOST MORE THAN $100 BILLION OVER THE YEARS IN BAD INVESTMENTS?
Post date: 15 Nov 2014 - 9:15am

TKCentralFund08112013e_9.jpg

I refer to Phillip Ang’s article “GIC has been speculating with our CPF” (TR Emeritus, Nov 14).

It states that “It is not acceptable that CPF’s $264 billion investments have remain undisclosed for more than 3 decades.”

Cannot be transparent because … ?

- Singapore’s total sum of foreign reserves is secret. Some of the reasons given as to why Singapore’s foreign reserves cannot be transparent were:

Singapore’s Minister of State for Finance: “You asked how much reserves we have. I’m sorry – I am not able to give you that answer. There are many, many people who are interested in how much we have. It has nothing to do with not wanting Singaporeans to know. It’s only if we go public with you, a lot of other people will know”. (March 15, 2008)

Singapore’s finance minister: “People do want to know, there is curiosity, it is a matter of public interest. That is not sufficient reason that there is curiosity and interest that you want to disclose information” ( August 18, 2009).

No data is available?

According to the book “Banking, Finance & Monetary Policy in Singapore”, by Luckett, Schulze and Wong, “Unfortunately, GIC operates in extreme secrecy and does not circulate its annual reports to outsiders.No data is available to assess its financial position or to analyse the breakdown of investment types and their returns”.

Beating around the bush?

For example, GIC said in its annual report published in March 2013, that it had significantly recovered its losses from the previous year.

No figures were given, but the comment came in its report for the year.

Imagine you ask your stockbroker,”how much money did I make last year?” – and his reply is “You have ‘significantly’ recovered your losses from the previous year, but I can’t give you any figures”!

What would be your reaction? How would you feel?

I find it somewhat puzzling and perhaps rather strange that the custodian of Singapore’s reserves tells Singaporeans that we did “significantly” well, but sorry no exact figures for you.

Since its “significant”, why not give the figure?By the way, since we also don’t know what exactly were the previous year’s losses, how do we figure out how “significant” it was?How about an improved format?

May I suggest that the GIC’s annual report be re-written or highlighted with parentheses (my emphasis) as follows:

“In September 2012, GIC said it had recovered more than half (how much exactly) of its losses (how much) then (when – for what period (s) precisely). GIC’s portfolio lost 20 per cent in Singapore dollar terms (how come losses are in S$, whereas returns are in US$?) in the financial year to March 2009, compared to the previous year”.

So, what was the return in S$ terms?

Has the GIC always reported its returns in the past in US$ terms only?

Can you imagine Bank Negara or the Bank of England reporting its returns in US$, without any mention in RM or sterling terms respectively?

Fund managers, sovereign wealth funds, etc, typically always report returns in annualised rates of return.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with reporting returns in “nominal average annual rate of return” or “adjusted for inflation”, the annualised rate of return should not ever be omitted altogether.

As to “This is the third year that GIC with investments valued at over US$100 billion or about S$132 billion is releasing its annual report”, what does “over US$100 billion” mean? – US$101, 150 or 200 billion?

How much exactly did we lose?

GIC: Lost more than $40b?

Since it was disclosed recently that our CPF funds were managed by GIC – does it mean that the stated “20% loss” in 2008/2009 was about more than $40 billion (20% of total CPF funds balance plus non-CPF funds in GIC)?

Temasek: Negative Annual Wealth Added of $68.1b?

Whilst repeated questioning in Parliament by Members of Parliament (MPs) failed to find out how much Temasek lost during the last financial crisis (2008/2009), its report in 2011 indicated a negative Annual Wealth Added of $68.1 billion in 2009.

In this connection, its Portfolio market Value for the financial year ended 2008 was $185 billion.

Lost over $100b?

So, if we add Temasek’s “negative Annual Wealth Added of $68.1 billion in 2009″ to GIC’s estimated loss of over $40 billion in 2008/2009 – does it mean that we may have lost more than $100 billion?

To put this amount in perspective, does it mean that we may have lost almost double our total Government spending in a year (2008) or about half of our total CPF funds then, in just one year?

Leong Sze Hian
P.S. Come with your family and friends to the 5th Return Our CPF protest on 29 November 4 pm at Speakers’ Corner https://www.facebook.com/events/796694730417598/

End Of Article​

10342835_767000143332975_1128036530357357091_n.jpg

Last edited:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something must have smelled fishy when they want to raise our CPF minimum sum!! No accountability.

How can we continue to let such irresponsible people to run the country?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe singaporeans need george soros to expose the real financial situation of tamasick. however, once this vital secret is revealed singapore may just sink and fades into history.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
maybe singaporeans need george soros to expose the real financial situation of tamasick. however, once this vital secret is revealed singapore may just sink and fades into history.

What Singaporeans need are balls and not what sorrow.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think they never deny losing monies. But they r saying They make more than they lose. So if they lost $100B but make $200B, that's still positive, rite?

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If they lose so much money, than why is Roy complain that they make 6% and only paid CPF owner 3%???

If they lose so much money, we should be very happy that they still paid interest...

Lastly maybe we should ask them not to pay any interest since they are losing money???:biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
If they lose so much money, than why is Roy complain that they make 6% and only paid CPF owner 3%???

If they lose so much money, we should be very happy that they still paid interest...

Lastly maybe we should ask them not to pay any interest since they are losing money???:biggrin:
u pass me 1m ...i pay you 3 percent interest ok...u can only get back after 65 viz monthly installements...can boh :biggrin:

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The era of non-responsibility.....

No one will be held accountable for any massive fuckups involving leegime cronies and PLPs............

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
fucking big time Ponzi scheme...using peasants' hard earned money to roll and roll... Chek Ark...confirm kena cancer !

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
if so why are those GIC muttafarkers still making fat pay n bonuses? No shame!! Lim Siong Guan talks about honour??

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u pass me 1m ...i pay you 3 percent interest ok...u can only get back after 65 viz monthly installements...can boh :biggrin:

This is not the case... I pass you about 1,800 a month and you lend me about 500k for me to buy a house... I pay you 2.6% interest... When I sold my house, I pass you the the money when I sold my house. Than you return me in installment when I am 65... Ai Bo??

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What Singaporeans need are balls and not what sorrow.

Hahahaha, sinkies are too emotionless to know sorrow.
They only money face. What hurts their pocket will hurt them. Other than that no emotions. You tell them bend down screw their ass it's okie, so long as you stuff some lose change into their ass after that :biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hahahaha, sinkies are too emotionless to know sorrow.
They only money face. What hurts their pocket will hurt them. Other than that no emotions. You tell them bend down screw their ass it's okie, so long as you stuff some lose change into their ass after that :biggrin:

That sounds like eErotica69's mother's phua Chee buy.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is not the case... I pass you about 1,800 a month and you lend me about 500k for me to buy a house... I pay you 2.6% interest... When I sold my house, I pass you the the money when I sold my house. Than you return me in installment when I am 65... Ai Bo??

the 500k is fake though,the money doesnt really exist but u owe them 500k.whats more ur inflating the housing prices by borrowing 500k which u dont have and which the bank doesnt have,and dumping it into housing and creating a bubble.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They can print money and pay us what stupid....never ask why USA 17 trillion in debt still not yet bankrupt.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can you get them to print a few millions of billions for me???

Don't be stupid lab,the interest 2.5% only,u know DBS and POSB credit card interest how much or not?17.5% to 22%.they take 20 billion CPF monies and lend it to sinkies can easily pay back all the interest obligations.

Stompiss

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You don't know what is paper gain?