• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TV discussion - Plasma, LCD, LED, OLED etc etc which one to get and why?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I plan to get one of those 4k TVs as prices are falling. Unfortunately my current LED TV shows no signs of problems.
I think those curved screens are a gimmick. Also not practical if you have a larger family because how can so many people sit on the sweet spot of the TV:confused:

I'm also interested to know about the quality. Anyone have any experience with Panasonic TVs:confused:

You planning on ps4?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, 4K is not the price, but Ultra High Definition (UHD): better than Full HD (FHD). Also, remember to get those with built-in DVB-T2 tuner.
Thinking of getting a 55" 4K TV also, but can't decide whether a PANASONIC or LG. Advantages of LG are its time shift recording capability and passive 3D, but I still trust PANASONIC for durability.

In LOS the thai gov't will subsidise people who need to buy a DVB-T2 tuner for their old TVs. I've seen a few brands for sale in the Thai shops.
In Spore as expected you die is your own business.:rolleyes:

All new sets in Spore will have the new tuners. I think sets sold in Spore for the past 2 years already have the new digital tuners.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, 4K is not the price, but Ultra High Definition (UHD): better than Full HD (FHD). Also, remember to get those with built-in DVB-T2 tuner.
Thinking of getting a 55" 4K TV also, but can't decide whether a PANASONIC or LG. Advantages of LG are its time shift recording capability and passive 3D, but I still trust PANASONIC for durability.

Thank you winners. So 4k is the in thing now. I go look later.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
In LOS the thai gov't will subsidise people who need to buy a DVB-T2 tuner for their old TVs. I've seen a few brands for sale in the Thai shops.
In Spore as expected you die is your own business.:rolleyes:

All new sets in Spore will have the new tuners. I think sets sold in Spore for the past 2 years already have the new digital tuners.

Subsidized DVB-T2 set top box have lah, but only to those deserving households.

There are still shops selling pre-DVB-T2 (non 4K) models, albeit at below S$1k. So, still have to ask and be aware. Alternatively, I am also considering those TOSHIBA 4K models which come with ANDROID 4.4.2 OS. Have to read up their reviews later.

Last edited:

chowcheebye

Alfrescian
Loyal
lau kapoh come let limpeh recommend you this damn solid one, this one also got curve screen but the curve in not curve out cannot see 3D only 2C :biggrin:

4b62783eba55ecb5a92f650b8.jpeg

Attachments

• 4b62783eba55ecb5a92f650b8.jpeg
    4b62783eba55ecb5a92f650b8.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Subsidized DVB-T2 set top box have lah, but only to those deserving households.....

Fine print It is for the "low income" i.e. there will be a means testing involved. All the red tape just to get a $150 box.

In LOS everyone will be subsidised. The price of the tuners is also cheaper than in Spore.

For those who want to jump through all the hoops here is the criteria:

Unveiled by the Minister for Communications and Information Dr Yaacob Ibrahim in February this year, the scheme will help lower income families make the transition to digital television. Eligible households will receive a DVB-T2 set-top box, an indoor antenna and complimentary installation service. As the appointed contractor, M1 will progressively supply and install digital TV equipment for all eligible households and resolve any technical issues pertaining to the equipment and installation over the next two to three years. Eligible households also have the option of self-collection.

Those living in one and two-room HDB rental flats, as well as households which are currently receiving Comcare, SINDA, Mendaki and CDAC assistance will be automatically included under MDA's Digital TV Assistance Scheme. There is no need for these groups to apply for assistance as MDA will be working closely with relevant organisations to reach out to them and they will be notified via letters.

All other households that meet the qualifying criteria may also apply for the Scheme. The DTV Assistance Scheme will be extended to households that meet the following criteria:

a. No Pay-TV subscription or integrated digital television;

b. At least one Singaporean household member; and

i. [for economically active households] Monthly household income of $1,900 and below or Per Capita Income of $600 and below;

OR

ii. [for households with no income] Residence with Annual Value of $13,000 and below.

The Scheme will be launched in September 2014 and more details on the application process will be released closer to the launch date.
- See more at: http://digital.asiaone.com/digital/...p-boxes-low-income-homes#sthash.2mO7btXk.dpuf

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've seen the 4K(UHD) sets selling in the low $2,000 in Spore. It's only a matter of time when all the sets sold will be 4K.

I just took a look at Best Denki & they are selling 4k LG TVs for as low as $1,100:eek: It's for an under 50" model.
Also took a close look at the OLED screens & when I was standing close I could see the pixel unlike on the 4K sets. So I don't know why anyone would choose am OLED set over a 4K set :confused:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just took a look at Best Denki & they are selling 4k LG TVs for as low as $1,100:eek: It's for an under 50" model.
Also took a close look at the OLED screens & when I was standing close I could see the pixel unlike on the 4K sets. So I don't know why anyone would choose am OLED set over a 4K set :confused:

It's not about seeing pixels but about sharpness. Anyway OLED sets are more expensive than 4k sets that is why people choosing the 4k sets. Also true 4k sets can display greater color depth than fhd sets when true 4k material become available.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I live in a HDB and I dun think I wanna get a 55' TV.

I think 42' should be sufficient. Anyway how many of us actually watch TV nowsadays?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If money not a issue get HDTV/4K LED TV.
Dont get LCD or Plasma both are the cheapest.
At least get LED TV.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

It's not about seeing pixels but about sharpness. Anyway OLED sets are more expensive than 4k sets that is why people choosing the 4k sets. Also true 4k sets can display greater color depth than fhd sets when true 4k material become available.

Thanks for the information. I still not get answers for best view distance for 55" and 65" units.