• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied Resident's Open Letter to Sylvia Lim

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I guess at least 30% of the GRC will continue to vote for WP during the next GE.

Subject: Corporate Governance in Aljunied, or lack thereof

Dear Ms Lim,

I am an accountant and I live in Aljunied.

The Worker’s Party took over the town council in Aljunied in 2011. You are a small party, and it is the first time that you had won a GRC. I know it’s not easy to take over something so big, so I was prepared for some slip ups in service. Maybe cleanliness will drop. But money must be taken seriously.

Today, I can see that there is something very wrong. Those of us who pay S&CC are subsidizing those who don’t – most people realize from the numbers that the two-thirds who pay are subsidizing the one-third that are not.

But there is a deeper story that the numbers are telling. From MND's Town Council Management Report, arrears in Aljunied climbed from 2.6% in 2010 to 8.4% in 2011 after merger with Hougang TC. At the end of April 2013, it was a staggering 29.4%! The national norm is just 3%. This shows that you are likely taking the money from Aljunied and using it to cover the hole in Hougang. What makes matters worst, is that the hole is also getting bigger because they are not collecting money properly.

I read in Zaobao that Mr Low Thia Khiang says there is no need to worry about arrears. This is the same problem that he had in Hougang. He says, don’t worry residents will pay up. Take the compassionate approach, give them time. In the meantime, it is business as usual. But that’s not how he solved the problem in Hougang! He solved it by taking the fat cow of Aljunied, and slaughtering it to feed the big hole in his own ward. Before merging with Hougang, Aljunied had $3.3 million surplus – within two years, it had a deficit of $734,000.

How did it burn up $4 million in two years?!

The deficit numbers are those for 2011. God knows what they are today. I actually can’t see very much of what is going on in Aljunied. I read that AHPETC refuses to file its mandatory report on arrears. But it’s likely that with Aljunied, we will have an even bigger hole.

A few years down the line, who is going to cover the Aljunied hole? We know that more than $20 million is unaccounted for in the town council accounts, project management fees are paid, and conservancy fees are written off. WP’s own auditors have refused to sign off on the accounts. That’s why the Finance Minister asked the Auditor General to go through the 2012 accounts.

The Workers’ Party says there are “takeover issues”. I understand the politics (I don’t really follow politics but I understand that there are political arguments), but as an accountant, I want to ask:

1. Why are the S&CC collections so bad? The other opposition run town councils do not have this problem. And why did the numbers drop so badly after the merger with Hougang? Is it because Aljunied is plugging the leak in Hougang?

2. Your surpluses have dropped from plus $3.3 million to minus $734,000. Why did this happen? Did the town council lose $4 million in two years? Why didn’t they pay into the sinking funds?

3. What are the processes in place for arrears? I am ok with people in difficulty getting some slack, but surely this cannot be 16,000 households! It’s not fair that 39,000 of us are taking care of these 16,000 – and not getting any information about why they don’t have to pay. Does the Town Council have some kind of welfare committee that assesses these people? Or they just don’t care who doesn’t pay?

Maybe I am wrong to just look at the numbers. Maybe there are larger issues at play. But I think we have to recognize that there is an issue of governance. You can’t just say “Ok, this is the price we have to pay for politics.”

These are questions that the media, the PAP MPs and even members of the public should be asking. But I know that many people, even the Straits Times, are scared of questioning the Worker’s Party nowadays. Try it and you see all the online people scolding you.

But numbers don’t lie.

As we tell our clients, accounting is difficult. But accountability is simple. You either did the right thing, or you did wrong.

Facts I have found from Internet ...

1. The WP town council is managed by FM Solutions and Services (FMSS), a company set up four days after the WP won Aljunied in the 2011 elections. FMSS is the “managing agent” (MA) and is owned by a husband and wife team, both strong supporters of WP

2. The town council has given away more than $26 million in contracts to them - $5.2 million without a tender. This MA is paid 50% more than PAP town councils – and this year, the rates might hit 70% more. So they pay more but they are very bad at collection in S&CC.

3. During the debate in Parliament, you, the chairman of the town council explained the managing agent rates. Her estimate of the MA rate for FY2012 was $7.58 (more than 50% higher than the Tampines rate of $4.99). At $7.58, the MA contract value for the whole estate for 3 years is $15.8 million. But Ms Lim, you had declared to HDB that the contract value was $16.8 million.

Accounting is difficult. But accountability is simple. You can’t take money in Aljunied and use it to cover the hole in Hougang. Who is going to cover Aljunied next year?

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Need to thanks the PAP porlumpa for this information...

I die die will vote worker's party if they come to my ward... I will chao chao save $500 per year after the fucking GST rebate of 2 months...:biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is what happens when the "compassionate" approach is taken towards those who don't pay their bills. I've seen the same scenario unfold over and over again in NZ where the kind and gentle approach is taken towards the "have nots".

Once word spreads that debt will be forgiven on compassionate grounds, the numbers of "poor" will multiply exponentially and before you realise it, half the population is receiving some form of welfare payout or subsidy.

Of course the money has to come from somewhere and those who are penalised are the honest and hardworking who pay their bills on time. Their bills will go up because they have to cover the shortfall.

The GINI coefficient may look good on paper but the unfairness of the situation doesn't escape those who are being taxed to death. The net result is decaying society mired in debt.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who wants to vote for PAP now if you know the town councils can be run like non profit organisations?

In angmo countries I dun mind I am contributing to the nations social securities to benefit the poor and the weak. Because it is much blessed to give than to receive. Don't always think about yourselves.

Better than paying back the surpluses into sinking funds where you dunno where the money will end up! They dun call it sinkhole funds for nothing!! Remember Ah Roy and the billions of missing CPF monies and ever rising Min Sum issues? We are all gradually being indebted by the mismanagement of our pension funds!!!

WP first world Parliament is really like compassionate Angmos party. Beri Jesus leh.

Last edited:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

I die die will vote worker's party if they come to my ward... I will chao chao save $500 per year after the fucking GST rebate of 2 months...:biggrin:

me too!! cannot vote for traitors who take away jobs from my sons n give to useless FTs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Then follow what I did. Move to the GRC. No need to wait for them to come.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP no fight in Aljunied. No need to bet, confirm double chop.

Just wait and see what 3rd grade candidates PAP will nominate.

If PAP really care, they will put up a good fight and put a group of strong people.

*cough* You open plate ah? Want side bet or not? Up the ante and get LHL to stand in AJ-GRC lah :p:p:p

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This letter was posted on this blog, Singapore General Election 2016.

Blog owner: Bumiputra
Introduction
Bumiputra (or Bumiputera) is a Malay word which means "son of the soil". Being a 3rd Generation Singaporean, I consider Singapore my home. Like many of my generation who have not experienced the hardships of nation building, I fervently believe in the notion of total democracy. However, having had the opportunity to see first hand the limitations of democracy where micro segments of the community (with personal agendas) manipulate the unsuspecting public, I believe that for democracy to work, total and complete information must be made available for people to make an educated choice at the ballot box. As our Government of the day does not seem to want to (or are incapable of) engaging the rumour mongers, I believe that as a son of the soil, I should play my part to help provide total and complete information. At the end of the day, I am neither pro-government nor pro-opposition. I respect everyone's choice at the ballot box but believe that in exercising the right to vote, we must have the complete picture.

The intro. "neither pro-government nor pro-opposition" already shows that this is one of those PAP IB setup blogs. Further look at the articles and you see that most article are anti WP.

It even blames the opposition supporters for the suspension of their Twitter account :smile:

So, you be the judge on how creditable is that open letter by a anonymous accountant who reside in Aljunied GRC :rolleyes:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would anyone regurgitate everything that had already been exchanged between PAP and WP during the "town council battle" of 2012, especially one so familiar with financial proceedings like an accountant?

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To the PAP IB dogs :

22076372.jpg

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! If 16000 households in arrears than how many more National on HDB loan repayment are
in arrears? Anyway, the PAP and Sinkies must thank LTK if not these 160000 household owners will be
wasting the Courts time and ending up in Prison.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
101% sure those don't pay up are the Papies supporter.

This is what happens when the "compassionate" approach is taken towards those who don't pay their bills. I've seen the same scenario unfold over and over again in NZ where the kind and gentle approach is taken towards the "have nots".

Once word spreads that debt will be forgiven on compassionate grounds, the numbers of "poor" will multiply exponentially and before you realise it, half the population is receiving some form of welfare payout or subsidy.

Of course the money has to come from somewhere and those who are penalised are the honest and hardworking who pay their bills on time. Their bills will go up because they have to cover the shortfall.

The GINI coefficient may look good on paper but the unfairness of the situation doesn't escape those who are being taxed to death. The net result is decaying society mired in debt.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reply sime lan jia, why you never write to Aljunied TC when Papies was in charge, why sinking fund invested in lan jio fund you don't write !@#$%^&>

I guess at least 30% of the GRC will continue to vote for WP during the next GE.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! If 16000 households in arrears than how many more National on HDB loan repayment are
in arrears? Anyway, the PAP and Sinkies must thank LTK if not these 160000 household owners will be
wasting the Courts time and ending up in Prison.

The PAP MUST return ALL our CPF money at 55 NOW!!!

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP porlumpar accountant should write to the President Tancho Tan why Temasek and GIC are cans of worms.:*:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucked up oppo Sinkie might cheer that they can 'don't pay CSC fees' if they like in the oppo ward. Fucked up wayang party thinks they can garner support if they don't chase and pressed these Sinkie to pay up.

In a high cost environment like Sinkland how long will such tactics last?

This surely points to the fact that Wayang party will lead all the O$P$ Sinkie to die with those up paid up. Fair
? Unfair? Well who asked you to go soft on those who O$ but don't want to P$?

Song bo, Sinkie. Oppo lead you to die....faster. Pappies screw you until you die...LoL