• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local boss: We hire foreigners because singaporeans are too picky

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]LOCAL BOSS: WE HIRE FOREIGNERS BECAUSE SINGAPOREANS ARE TOO PICKY[/h]
<!-- /.block --> <style>.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style> Post date:
10 Nov 2014 - 8:35am

<ins id="aswift_0_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_0" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_0" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

I wanted to write an opinion note in relation to the latest TRS post about Singaporeans thinking foreigners are taking their jobs. ('Foreigners are taking our jobs' complain Singaporeans)

I want to start with the fact that this is a very normal feeling. In every country worldwide the people always feel this way about foreigners working. This is not just a feeling felt by Singaporeans.

When citizens are struggling to make ends meet or get further ahead, it is also a cause to look at somewhere to blame. I realise in some cases this IS happening!

I cannot speak from a "high-flying" job sector like banking and finance positions. I am speaking from retail business point of view that involves handling food.

If we could have Singaporean workers we would gladly have them. It would save paying fees, worrying about quota, they are good people and of course our business could be making a contribution to the community by providing jobs for locals... there's a big BUT...

... we cannot get any Singaporeans and the ones we do get to work are the ones who... don't come back after one day of work even if you be so nice to them, recieve their monthly salary and do not return to work (if they wanted to finish why not be fair and give one month notice which is a normal work ethic to have), even trying to find a driver, they do not want the job unless they can take vehicle home because 30 minutes on MRT is too far for them to travel. Young ones that are still studying would rather work four hours a month being paid $40 an hour tutoring ($160 per month) than work a regular paid part time job at $10-$12 an hour ($1000-$1500 per month) because they should be paid more an hour... and these are not students from rich families.

It is quite normal in western countries that even as young as 11 years old doing a paper run or after school job in a supermarket. It is good for young people to gain work ethics early. Whether you like a job or not, you need to work to pay the bills and any job will do until the job you do want comes available. The real world means no choice to sit around and be fussy. Bills need to be paid and the world keeps spinning and no there are not enough top jobs for everyone. If there were enough "professional" jobs in this world to degree holders, that would be an ideal world but it is not realistic.

<ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

It is great to teach the young to strive high... of course! ... but they also need to be taught that you start as a junior and over years and experience you can strive to the top if you have the skills and attitude. I can say right from my very first office job getting paid a low salary. When my income was not enough for bank to approve me a mortgage, I also waited on tables at a cafe in the weekends.

I would hope that no Singaporeans felt I should not be in the position I am now - I have worked hard over years, put in extra hours, travel over an hour everyday to get to work and I do offer the company something they cannot find here.

I love Singapore without a doubt I would not be here otherwise... the people are awesome and I have the utmost respect for. When you are a guest in one's country you do not complain - if you don't like then go home.

I would just like to say - show me the Singaporeans that want these jobs because we can't find them and have to resort to hiring foreign workers.

We don't need to hire foreign workers if we can hire Singaporean instead.

Note: We are currently paying $2000 starting five day working week 9 hours a day. Much better than our neighbouring stores I see their foreign workers do 12 hour shifts.

For those that have worked well or stepped up their role and wanted to learn new skills, they are paid anywhere between 2500-3500. Some of the foreign workers who had base salary of 2500 but chose to work many extra hours when needed ended up with pay packet between 3-4000. Do you think this is slave labour?

JS
TRS Contributor

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are his "foreign treasure" performing very well? I think not.

If you have a choice between Singaporeans who can leave the job anytime vs foreigners who will otherwise be booted back to their own countries, it is of course the foreigners who will stay. But a number work like they "sian chi bua" and half-heartedly, giving you a performance problem.

The real problem in Singapore is that employers and superiors are very poor in staff motivation compared to the rest of the world. In fact many of them don't have this word in their dictionary!

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are his "foreign treasure" performing very well? I think not.

If you have a choice between Singaporeans who can leave the job anytime vs foreigners who will otherwise be booted back to their own countries, it is of course the foreigners who will stay. But a number work like they "sian chi bua" and half-heartedly, giving you a performance problem.

The real problem in Singapore is that employers and superiors are very poor in staff motivation compared to the rest of the world. In fact many of them don't have this word in their dictionary!

Let's face the facts , Sinkie.

If YOU are a BOSS yourself you will agree with what that writer says.

Unless...YOU are not.

And here you are BLAMING the BOSSES!

You deserved to be screwed by the Pappy and then your Bosses...not necessarily in that order! LoL

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simply put the bosses want to exploit their employees for the littlest amount of $.

You see this in many of the GLCs. Who here wants to work with SBS?

In places like the 1st world a bus driver make a decent living. In Spore it is the PAP who decides what is a decent living & you will notice that they have a double standard. World class standard for themselves and another for the "lesser mortals":rolleyes:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's face the facts , Sinkie.

If YOU are a BOSS yourself you will agree with what that writer says.

Unless...YOU are not.

And here you are BLAMING the BOSSES!

You deserved to be screwed by the Pappy and then your Bosses...not necessarily in that order! LoL

Don't be fooled by tis Guy, why no break down of Rental vs Workers cost? Conveniently, he blames Sinkies,
why don't blame the Business System that the Pappies created where landlord earns the most from any retail
trade. Guess what, who are the Landlords in Sinkiepore!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Local bosses has to handle the shit from government, from NEA, MOM and the shit thrown to them by the Capitol land malls.
Last thing they want is to let locals suck their profit through high wages.

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid article. Who would want to work slave jobs that pays $7-$12/hr?? Locals would rather work more comfortable admin jobs with their diplomas that pays $18/hr.

It is because there are too many businesses that is why there is saturation that causes too few locals in each company.

If raise minimum wage higher for these part-time F&B jobs to $20/hr with less companies then there will be more locals working.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do those friggin bosses not realise that the hygient factor in their workplaces leaves a lot to be desired? They are also guilty of paying FTs becos of no need to pay CPF.............. why do biz here and not overseas if you hire FTs...fucking traitors!!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't know in western countries u could work in a supermarket if ur 11....don't they a age limit to prevent child labor?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont mind u hiring FTS if u implement a minimum wage for all,so there's no more advantage in hiring FTS cause they cheaper,also make FTS pay a higher tax,cause they don't contribute to CPF and cause they are FTs,treat them like 2nd class citizens.tax them till their arseholes bleed if they don't like it they can jolly well fuck off back to India,China and Philippines.stick their FTA up their ass.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont mind u hiring FTS if u implement a minimum wage for all,so there's no more advantage in hiring FTS cause they cheaper,also make FTS pay a higher tax,cause they don't contribute to CPF and cause they are FTs,treat them like 2nd class citizens.tax them till their arseholes bleed if they don't like it they can jolly well fuck off back to India,China and Philippines.stick their FTA up their ass.

Dun be silly. Like that how to make profit$?

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo part time job wu $12 jit diam zeng meh<style>.node-article .field-name-link-line-above-tags{float: right;}.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style>

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid article. Who would want to work slave jobs that pays $7-$12/hr?? Locals would rather work more comfortable admin jobs with their diplomas that pays $18/hr.

It is because there are too many businesses that is why there is saturation that causes too few locals in each company.

If raise minimum wage higher for these part-time F&B jobs to $20/hr with less companies then there will be more locals working.
$18/hr ??8hrx18x24days=$3456per month,your father pay you ar?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And that is precisely why the local towkays can never ever hope to attract the best talent. Well, it's not like those talents want to taint their CV working there anyway. :cool:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is $2000 salary a living wage?

It works out to $12.50 hour.

This towkay got to understand ...if sinkees don't earn enough, then they cannot afford to buy at his shop.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay suffers when supplies are greater than demand!! Greater elasticity of demands for low wage low skills jobs.