• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pope Francis: Evolution is real

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, the head of the world's largest Christian group has acknowledged that science is correct. I wonder what else the Vatican is holding from the public? UFOs? Extra-terrestrial life? This statement should make fundamental Christians relook at their perception of life, the world, and the universe and start figuring out the whole picture again. And this time around, not take the bible as a book of truths.

Cheers!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/pope-francis-evolution-is-real-god-did-not-wave-a-magic-wand-1.2076772

Pope Francis: Evolution is real, God did not wave a 'magic wand'

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:22AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:06PM EDT

Pope Francis says the theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real, and God did not wave a “magic wand” to create the universe .
The head of the Roman Catholic Church said Tuesday that current scientific theories concerning the start of the universe and the development of life are compatible with church doctrines – a landmark declaration for a religion often challenged to harmonize scripture with science.
Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in Vatican City on Monday, Pope Francis urged Roman Catholics to embrace current scientific theories as “required” methods to understand existence. The pope’s suggestions fly in the face of more traditional views that read the Bible as a literal record of the creation and development of the world.

“When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician , with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Pope Francis said.
The creation story in the Book of Genesis tells how God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day after creating the first human man, called Adam. Later in the book, God creates Eve, the first woman, using a rib taken from Adam.
Francis made his comments at a ceremony to unveil a bust dedicated to his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI. Francis has made numerous gestures of respect toward the still-living former pope since Benedict resigned due to health issues in 2013.
Francis’ comments on evolution and the Big Bang are a marked step toward more commonly held scientific views. Others in the church have pushed for it to embrace the more creationist-friendly, pseudo-scientific intelligent design theory, which views the world as a complex creation developed through constant guidance from a supernatural being. Pope Benedict showed leanings toward this theory, though he stopped short of ever fully endorsing it. However, he did say in 2005 that the world is an "intelligent project" created by God.
But Pope Francis suggested on Tuesday that such theories still rely too much on God as a supernatural force who breaks the laws of nature. Instead, Francis said God “created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment .”
The Argentina-born Pope Francis has been a progressive voice since he assumed the papacy last year, downplaying the Roman Catholic Church’s hardline views on homosexuality, contraception and abortion in favour of a more open, moderate approach.
However, the Roman Catholic Church as a whole has been slower to embrace the pope’s more inclusive views.
Earlier this month, Roman Catholic bishops watered down a landmark proposal penned by a Pope Francis appointee to view homosexuals as having “gifts and qualities” to offer as members of the church. The bishops rewrote the proposal to use vague, less inclusive language instead.
Father Thomas Reese, a senior analyst with the National Catholic Reporter, said Pope Francis’s views are, in fact, not that shocking, given that the Catholic Church “actually made its peace with science in the 20th century.”
In 1950, Pope Pius XII said there was no conflict between evolution and creationism, Reese told CTV News Channel from Washington, D.C.
“We’re not like some of the fundamentalists who take a literal interpretation of the Bible,” Reese said.“We see no problem with seeing God as creator of the universe, but creating a universe that in fact evolves.”
He acknowledged that some Catholics do “still believe that the world was created in seven days, but they’re a real minority in the Catholic Church.”
In fact, a recent survey of American beliefs by Chapman University found people in the U.S. remain deeply divided over the origins of human life. About 40 per cent of respondents said they believe God created humans as they are within the last 10,000 years. About 37 per cent of respondents said they believe humans developed from less advanced forms of life with the guidance of God, while 19 per cent said humans evolved independent of any supernatural force.
Of 1,573 respondents to the Chapman survey, more people said they believe in the lost city of Atlantis than the theory of evolution, either with or without a God involved.
More respondents said they believe in UFOs and Bigfoot than in evolution without the interference of a God.
Reese noted that Pope Francis does well in public opinion polls in the United States, even among conservative Catholics.
When Pope Francis preaches compassion toward others, including the poor, it is a “message that resonates” for those who read the gospel, Reese said.
“What Pope Francis is trying to preach is the gospel of Jesus, the gospel of love and compassion toward everyone,” he said.
“But it’s also a gospel in the Catholic tradition that believes there’s no conflict between faith and reason. That our reason, our intelligence, seeks truth just as the gospels tell us about the truth about God’s love for us.”

TeeKi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pope Francis is not a Christian, he is the evil anti-Christ. You will be burned in hell fire for sure.

TeeKi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My pastor said so. Chatholics are not Christians. All popes will not go heaven.

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” -- Matthew 7:15

That's a new one. Where did you get this idea?

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, I do not care how "genuine" they are, or what they say, but the pope is the head of the Catholic Church, the largest and also the longest continuous organization of Christians, at least that's how the rest of the world sees and accepts it. Your pastor is anti-Pope (or Vatican)? What is the basis of his grouse against Catholics? Also, the pope is not a prophet, he is a symbol, a "representative" of god on earth - according to believers.

Cheers!

My pastor said so. Chatholics are not Christians. All popes will not go heaven.

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” -- Matthew 7:15

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, the head of the world's largest Christian group has acknowledged that science is correct. I wonder what else the Vatican is holding from the public? UFOs? Extra-terrestrial life? This statement should make fundamental Christians relook at their perception of life, the world, and the universe and start figuring out the whole picture again. And this time around, not take the bible as a book of truths.

Cheers!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/pope-francis-evolution-is-real-god-did-not-wave-a-magic-wand-1.2076772

Pope Francis: Evolution is real, God did not wave a 'magic wand'

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:22AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:06PM EDT

Pope Francis says the theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real, and God did not wave a “magic wand” to create the universe .
The head of the Roman Catholic Church said Tuesday that current scientific theories concerning the start of the universe and the development of life are compatible with church doctrines – a landmark declaration for a religion often challenged to harmonize scripture with science.
Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in Vatican City on Monday, Pope Francis urged Roman Catholics to embrace current scientific theories as “required” methods to understand existence. The pope’s suggestions fly in the face of more traditional views that read the Bible as a literal record of the creation and development of the world.

“When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician , with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Pope Francis said.
The creation story in the Book of Genesis tells how God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day after creating the first human man, called Adam. Later in the book, God creates Eve, the first woman, using a rib taken from Adam.
Francis made his comments at a ceremony to unveil a bust dedicated to his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI. Francis has made numerous gestures of respect toward the still-living former pope since Benedict resigned due to health issues in 2013.
Francis’ comments on evolution and the Big Bang are a marked step toward more commonly held scientific views. Others in the church have pushed for it to embrace the more creationist-friendly, pseudo-scientific intelligent design theory, which views the world as a complex creation developed through constant guidance from a supernatural being. Pope Benedict showed leanings toward this theory, though he stopped short of ever fully endorsing it. However, he did say in 2005 that the world is an "intelligent project" created by God.
But Pope Francis suggested on Tuesday that such theories still rely too much on God as a supernatural force who breaks the laws of nature. Instead, Francis said God “created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment .”
The Argentina-born Pope Francis has been a progressive voice since he assumed the papacy last year, downplaying the Roman Catholic Church’s hardline views on homosexuality, contraception and abortion in favour of a more open, moderate approach.
However, the Roman Catholic Church as a whole has been slower to embrace the pope’s more inclusive views.
Earlier this month, Roman Catholic bishops watered down a landmark proposal penned by a Pope Francis appointee to view homosexuals as having “gifts and qualities” to offer as members of the church. The bishops rewrote the proposal to use vague, less inclusive language instead.
Father Thomas Reese, a senior analyst with the National Catholic Reporter, said Pope Francis’s views are, in fact, not that shocking, given that the Catholic Church “actually made its peace with science in the 20th century.”
In 1950, Pope Pius XII said there was no conflict between evolution and creationism, Reese told CTV News Channel from Washington, D.C.
“We’re not like some of the fundamentalists who take a literal interpretation of the Bible,” Reese said.“We see no problem with seeing God as creator of the universe, but creating a universe that in fact evolves.”
He acknowledged that some Catholics do “still believe that the world was created in seven days, but they’re a real minority in the Catholic Church.”
In fact, a recent survey of American beliefs by Chapman University found people in the U.S. remain deeply divided over the origins of human life. About 40 per cent of respondents said they believe God created humans as they are within the last 10,000 years. About 37 per cent of respondents said they believe humans developed from less advanced forms of life with the guidance of God, while 19 per cent said humans evolved independent of any supernatural force.
Of 1,573 respondents to the Chapman survey, more people said they believe in the lost city of Atlantis than the theory of evolution, either with or without a God involved.
More respondents said they believe in UFOs and Bigfoot than in evolution without the interference of a God.
Reese noted that Pope Francis does well in public opinion polls in the United States, even among conservative Catholics.
When Pope Francis preaches compassion toward others, including the poor, it is a “message that resonates” for those who read the gospel, Reese said.
“What Pope Francis is trying to preach is the gospel of Jesus, the gospel of love and compassion toward everyone,” he said.
“But it’s also a gospel in the Catholic tradition that believes there’s no conflict between faith and reason. That our reason, our intelligence, seeks truth just as the gospels tell us about the truth about God’s love for us.”

Scientifically, it is quite hard (in fact impossible) to prove how life evolved. A very big question that science still cannot and will never able to answer is how could life evolve from non-life? How a piece of rock could become a elephant? At the end of the day, common-sense prevailed. it's simply impossible - no matter how many years or how old that piece of rock is, it will never ever become an ant, let alone an elephant.

Evolution contradicts Bible 100%, not so much from scientific aspect (which is very difficult to prove) but doctrinally speaking. There are millions of dead animals and were fossilized millions of years ago (so claimed by many scientists). But in the Bible, it was told that death only occurred after Adam, the first man had sinned. The oldest human remains ever found was just few hundred thousand years old (again, so claimed by some scientists). Hence it follows that there were already dead animals or plants before the death of Adam but, as mentioned, according to the Bible, death only occurred after Adam has sinned.

So, if according to the Pope, evolution is true, than the Bible is not true. Both cannot be true...only one can be true - either God created this earth out of His spoken word as written in the Bible or evolution through time as suggested by Charles Darwin.

God bless
Psalm23

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If both cannot be true, then perhaps BOTH are WRONG! Haha!

The Bible should not be read as a text that'll provide answers to all our questions, but at least it takes care of the philosophical/spiritual side of some of us. And it's a great story book. Science, while unable to explain everything at this time, can be seen as working on in. More and more knowledge is gained over time as we make more and more discoveries. Some things, I have accepted that I will never find the answer in the course of my mortal life, things like how did life begin, what will happen to us after we cease to exist physically, however, it doesn't bother me. I'm not the only one.

From what the Pope mentioned regarding evolution, I believe he is just saying to his audience to have an open mind, consider things as we listen to them and not form rigid inflexible thoughts. He is definitely well-read and well-informed, but the Catholic Church oversees a huge and diverse group of people, from modern day scientists and researchers in advanced countries, to poor and backward peasants in agrarian societies. When he opens his mouth to speak, he cannot be thoughtless and hastily speak his mind, some of the church's adherents might just not be able to handle it. Society and its views is constantly changing and he has to move with those changes in order to remain relevant. In his position, it is not easy.

Cheers!

So, if according to the Pope, evolution is true, than the Bible is not true. Both cannot be true...only one can be true - either God created this earth out of His spoken word as written in the Bible or evolution through time as suggested by Charles Darwin.

God bless
Psalm23

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pope - past, present and certainly the future were very well read and respected people. They read and speak well. In fact, in the formative years of 'Christiandom', Popes were greatly feared, even by kings during those days.

But my point is this: Evolution which tells people they were dead animals and plants millions years ago while the age of the dead human beings were just few hundred thousands years ago contradict the Bible because death only came after Adam sinned. So, doctrinally (not scientifically) this contradicts the Bible. This is the point I am addressing and so for any Pope who is supposedly to be very well-educated in Bible, such statements that evolution is real and they were already dead animals and plants even before human kinds were evolved will raise eye-brows among Bible-believing Christians.

God Bless
Psalm23

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose any contradiction(s) will only affect firm believers and they will need to decide for themselves which way to go. Myself, it does not really matter. Like I said, I've accepted that I will not know the answers to all the questions we have. For example for human evolution, how do we define what is human? Bipedalism? linguistic ability? Use of tools? Meat consumption? Even anthropologists themselves will differ in their opinions. And if they say humans (or hominids) started to appear 3 million years ago, it doesn't much bother me if it was 6 million years ago, it makes no difference to me. In any case, the Catholic Church has present day issues to be concerned with, things like gay marriages, gay priests, celibate clergymen, and even priests who wish to get married and have regular family lives, while these issues may seem like everyday common decisions for many, to devout Catholics, they are a headache.

Cheers!

Pope - past, present and certainly the future were very well read and respected people. They read and speak well. In fact, in the formative years of 'Christiandom', Popes were greatly feared, even by kings during those days.

But my point is this: Evolution which tells people they were dead animals and plants millions years ago while the age of the dead human beings were just few hundred thousands years ago contradict the Bible because death only came after Adam sinned. So, doctrinally (not scientifically) this contradicts the Bible. This is the point I am addressing and so for any Pope who is supposedly to be very well-educated in Bible, such statements that evolution is real and they were already dead animals and plants even before human kinds were evolved will raise eye-brows among Bible-believing Christians.

God Bless
Psalm23

TeeKi

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can life spring of nothing? There must be an intelligent designer. TS, can You accept an ape to be your ancestor?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Current understanding is that apes and humans share a common ancestor. Whether I accept or not, what choice do I have? Depending on how far back one goes along the evolutionary route, life began as a simple unicellular organism. Whether we evolved, how we evolved, or if there is some kind of extraterrestrial/divine intervention, nobody knows for certain, we are only investigating and speculating. Even recorded history may be politically rearranged, so we have at most educated guesses. For events that date back beyond than recorded history, we can only deduce from archaeological evidence.

I cited this statement by the pope is because he is the accepted leader, and hence official spokesman for the largest Christian denomination. And in that faith, whatever the authority says, is to be accepted. At least by Catholics.

Cheers!

How can life spring of nothing? There must be an intelligent designer. TS, can You accept an ape to be your ancestor?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not take the pope as a man of infallible claims. Nothing in the Bible hints at evolution being true, and by evolution it is meant the belief that the whole universe pops itself into existence and over billions of years evolved into what we see today, and all without any need for God at all.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Current understanding is that apes and humans share a common ancestor. Whether I accept or not, what choice do I have? Depending on how far back one goes along the evolutionary route, life began as a simple unicellular organism. Whether we evolved, how we evolved, or if there is some kind of extraterrestrial/divine intervention, nobody knows for certain, we are only investigating and speculating. Even recorded history may be politically rearranged, so we have at most educated guesses. For events that date back beyond than recorded history, we can only deduce from archaeological evidence.

I cited this statement by the pope is because he is the accepted leader, and hence official spokesman for the largest Christian denomination. And in that faith, whatever the authority says, is to be accepted. At least by Catholics.

Cheers!

That is the current belief held by many, but again the Bible does not hint at man and apes having a common ancestor, only having a common Designer. God created Adam from the dust of the ground and Eve from his side, it is direct creation, no evolution involved. While you may not be sure what you ought to believe, there is no ambiguity over what the Bible says.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If both cannot be true, then perhaps BOTH are WRONG! Haha!

The Bible should not be read as a text that'll provide answers to all our questions, but at least it takes care of the philosophical/spiritual side of some of us. And it's a great story book. Science, while unable to explain everything at this time, can be seen as working on in. More and more knowledge is gained over time as we make more and more discoveries. Some things, I have accepted that I will never find the answer in the course of my mortal life, things like how did life begin, what will happen to us after we cease to exist physically, however, it doesn't bother me. I'm not the only one.

From what the Pope mentioned regarding evolution, I believe he is just saying to his audience to have an open mind, consider things as we listen to them and not form rigid inflexible thoughts. He is definitely well-read and well-informed, but the Catholic Church oversees a huge and diverse group of people, from modern day scientists and researchers in advanced countries, to poor and backward peasants in agrarian societies. When he opens his mouth to speak, he cannot be thoughtless and hastily speak his mind, some of the church's adherents might just not be able to handle it. Society and its views is constantly changing and he has to move with those changes in order to remain relevant. In his position, it is not easy.

Cheers!

It can't both be wrong, because there are only 2 views to origins.

Yes, the Bible does not answer all our questions, it is not a textbook of science, history, maths etc. But it does provide answers to the ultimate questions of life, meaning, purpose, existence, and where it speaks on matters of which scientific or historical inquiry can be made, it speaks without error.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

The way it works is that if God as creator is rejected, then there is no other option but to accept an ape ancestor up in the family tree.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bible also suggests that the earth is 6000 years old. That we're sure is an error.

Bro, I am not here to dispute what one believes or does not believe, that is a personal choice. All I have posted is what was reported that the Pope stated, and while he is the head of the largest Christian denomination, he is still only a mortal human, just like you and me, but because of the position he holds, his comments are viewed by many to be heeded and followed, even though not by everyone.

Cheers!

It can't both be wrong, because there are only 2 views to origins.

Yes, the Bible does not answer all our questions, it is not a textbook of science, history, maths etc. But it does provide answers to the ultimate questions of life, meaning, purpose, existence, and where it speaks on matters of which scientific or historical inquiry can be made, it speaks without error.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Er, I am not sure that the earth, or universe is only 6,000 years old, but according to biblical studies, that's what it claims. You can google the net for their explanations, there are lots. I've included this one for your convenience:

http://www.freechristianteaching.org/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=14#axzz3LZQgMYCx

Summary of the 6,000 Year-Old Date of the Universe

We believe that the clear teaching of the Bible, specifically Genesis Chapter 1 and Luke Chapter 3, teaches that:

- The whole Universe was created on Day One of the Six days of Creation (Genesis 1:1-5).

- The Hebrew words for "dusk" and "dawn" used in Genesis 1 are clearly referring to 24 hour periods of time, not millions of years (see below).

- Adam was created on Day Six of the Six Days of Creation (Genesis 1:27).

- Adam was "the son of God," not the son of a monkey (Luke 3:38).

- Jesus Christ was born 77 generations after Adam, which is a period of approximately 4,000 years (Luke 3:23-38).

- Jesus Christ was born approximately 2,000 years ago.

- Therefore Adam was born approximately 6,000 years ago.

- Adam was born at the beginning of the Creation, according to Jesus Christ in Mark 10:6 and Matthew 19:4.

- The whole Universe was therefore also created approximately 6,000 years ago.

As for the advertised event, thanks, but I am not keen in spending my time attending gospel or religious events.

Cheers!

What makes you so sure?

Just added: saw this event advertised. Maybe you should consider going.
http://creation.com/conferences/eah-launch/sg/

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Er, I am not sure that the earth, or universe is only 6,000 years old, but according to biblical studies, that's what it claims. You can google the net for their explanations, there are lots. I've included this one for your convenience:

http://www.freechristianteaching.org/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=14#axzz3LZQgMYCx

Summary of the 6,000 Year-Old Date of the Universe

We believe that the clear teaching of the Bible, specifically Genesis Chapter 1 and Luke Chapter 3, teaches that:

- The whole Universe was created on Day One of the Six days of Creation (Genesis 1:1-5).

- The Hebrew words for "dusk" and "dawn" used in Genesis 1 are clearly referring to 24 hour periods of time, not millions of years (see below).

- Adam was created on Day Six of the Six Days of Creation (Genesis 1:27).

- Adam was "the son of God," not the son of a monkey (Luke 3:38).

- Jesus Christ was born 77 generations after Adam, which is a period of approximately 4,000 years (Luke 3:23-38).

- Jesus Christ was born approximately 2,000 years ago.

- Therefore Adam was born approximately 6,000 years ago.

- Adam was born at the beginning of the Creation, according to Jesus Christ in Mark 10:6 and Matthew 19:4.

- The whole Universe was therefore also created approximately 6,000 years ago.

As for the advertised event, thanks, but I am not keen in spending my time attending gospel or religious events.

Cheers!

What I was asking was how you are so sure that the Bible is in error about the 6,000 years old age of the earth. Considering the existence of living fossils, the findings of soft tissue in supposed millions of years fossils, all these are challenges to the idea of long ages.

As to refusing to attend the event, perhaps you should consider going, and not just brush it away as mere religious event. Or is your mind already made up and you are not open to being challenged? From the reviews and looks of the documentary it does seem to be a formidable challenge to the popular belief in evolution. I may not be attending the screening but I am certainly going to buy the DVD and book to keep myself informed on this issue.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
6,000 years is much too short, not just for human history, but all other things on this planet (much less the universe). There is much scientific evidence for this. The dying out of dinosaurs, the continental shift(s), the layers and layers of different rock formations, glacial movements, etc. Just a while ago, I was browsing the net reading Xinhua news and came across this topic below about bird genome, already we are looking at 60~80 million years of history, which is still considered "recent" for evolutionary history, if we are to go back to invertebrate lifeforms, it'll stretch back even further.

As for the seminar, it is not in my interest to attend topics that are not related to my work, even which I often fall asleep. I may read it if it is published in National Geographic, Time, or other magazine, or watch if if aired on History/Discovery channel. Free time, I cook. But thanks anyway.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-12/12/c_133849238.htm

Chinese-led research team unveils tree of life for birds

English.news.cn 2014-12-12 08:05:03

WASHINGTON, Dec. 11 (Xinhua) -- An international team led by Chinese researchers has sequenced the genomes of 48 species of birds to create the most reliable avian tree of life to date.
This massive project, which took more than four years to complete and involved hundreds of researchers from 20 different countries around the world, analyzed at least one genome from every major bird lineage, including the woodpecker, owl, penguin, hummingbird and flamingo, and produced dozens of reports, eight of which are published Thursday in Science.
The results "have enabled us to answer numerous fundamental questions to an unprecedented scale," said co-lead author Guojie Zhang of the National Genebank at BGI in China and the University of Copenhagen.
"This is the largest whole genomic study across a single vertebrate class to date. The success of this project can only be achieved with the excellent collaboration of all the consortium members," Zhang said.
The findings supported a "big bang" theory for the evolutionary expansion of birds during the 10 to 15 million years that followed a mass extinction event about 66 million years ago that killed off all dinosaurs except some birds.
This contradicted the idea that birds blossomed 10 to 80 million years earlier before the mass extinction event, as some recent studies suggested.
"Birds are dinosaurs," said co-author Ed Braun, associate professor of biology at the University of Florida. "They're the one lineage of dinosaurs that made it through the mass extinction at the end of the so-called dinosaurs."
Based on this new genomic data, a few bird lineages that survived the mass extinction gave rise to more than 10,000 species that comprise 95 percent of all bird species living with us today, the researchers said.
The researchers also found that birds lost thousands of genes in their early evolution after birds split from other reptiles, many of which have essential functions in humans, such as in reproduction, skeleton formation and lung systems.
"This is an exciting finding, because it is quite different from what people normally think, which is that innovation is normally created by new genetic material, not the loss of it," Zhang said.
This new tree supported three independent origins of waterbirds. It also indicated that the common ancestor of core landbirds, which include songbirds, parrots, woodpeckers, owls, eagles and falcons, was an apex predator, which also gave rise to the giant terror birds that once roamed the Americas.
Birdsong was found to evolve independently at least twice. Parrots and songbirds gained the ability to learn and mimic sounds independently of hummingbirds, despite sharing many of the same genes. This is surprising because animals with similar characteristics usually share a common ancestor, the researchers said.
In general, brain circuits for musical and vocal learning in birds and humans are similar but have been arrived at via different evolutionary paths.
The researchers also found five genes related to teeth formation were switched off some 116 million years ago, in an ancestor of today's birds, causing birds to lose their teeth since then.
Their research also showed the chicken has the most similar genome to an avian ancestor, which was thought to be a feathered dinosaur.
Crocodiles were be birds' closest living relatives, with a common ancestor that lived around 240 million years ago, said the research, which also showed that crocodiles have one of the slowest-evolving genomes, whereas the pace of genetic change has been much faster in birds.
Colorful feathers are thought to be evolutionarily advantageous, giving a male bird in a given species an edge over his competitors when it comes to mating. This research found that genes involved in feather coloration evolved more quickly than other genes in eight of 46 bird lineages.
They also estimated that the today's penguins first appeared around 60 million years ago.
Overall, the genomic structure of birds has stayed remarkably the same among species for more than 100 million years and the evolution rate across all bird species is slower compared to mammals.
Editor: Xiang Bo

Cheers!

What I was asking was how you are so sure that the Bible is in error about the 6,000 years old age of the earth. Considering the existence of living fossils, the findings of soft tissue in supposed millions of years fossils, all these are challenges to the idea of long ages.

As to refusing to attend the event, perhaps you should consider going, and not just brush it away as mere religious event. Or is your mind already made up and you are not open to being challenged? From the reviews and looks of the documentary it does seem to be a formidable challenge to the popular belief in evolution. I may not be attending the screening but I am certainly going to buy the DVD and book to keep myself informed on this issue.