• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is dentist the same as doctor?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In order to practice their trades, a dentist's minimum qualification is BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery. A doctor's (General Practitioner) is MBBS - Mouth Big, Brain Small. They are different.

Cheers!

in sinkieland, does a dentist hold the same qualification as a doctor?

kknnbbccbb

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In order to practice their trades, a dentist's minimum qualification is BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery. A doctor's (General Practitioner) is MBBS - Mouth Big, Brain Small. They are different.

Cheers!

I have better qualifications than dentist they only have BDS but I am BDSM qualified.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dentists in nearly all parts of the world are doctors, insofar as they have earned doctorate-level degrees. In many places, the phrase “doctor” seems to attach most naturally to those who are physicians, surgeons, or otherwise dedicated to care of the human body. Dentists do not usually fall within this group, but their title derives from their training — not their profession.
Origins of the Term “Doctor”
Although most commonly associated with medicine, the word “doctor” actually derives from the Latin word for “teach,” doceo. Anyone considered an expert in a specific field, be it science or art history, can be styled “Dr.” provided he or she has undergone the requisite training. Most of the time, any sort of doctorate-level degree gives rise to the title, and dentists are no exception.
Dental Training
Dental school is almost always the biggest requirement to becoming a practitioner. Different countries have different requirements, but most programs involve several years of post-graduate study culminating in either a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DDM) degree. Recipients of these degrees are both personally and professionally known as “Dr.”
Exceptions in the United Kingdom
Great Britain is one of the only countries in the world to not automatically confer trained dentists with the “doctor” title. This primarily owes to the nuances of the British education system. Dentists in this system typically earn only a bachelor’s of dental surgery, abbreviated BDS, BChD, or BDent.
The “doctor” title is sometimes used out of respect in Great Britain, or as a courtesy title. Some dentists also hold themselves out as doctors as a means of drawing a parallel to the systems in most other parts of the world, though this has caused some controversy.
Specialties and Practice Areas
Outside of the UK, a dentist is typically considered a doctor no matter his or her specialty. General or “family practice” dentists are usually the most common. These professionals perform basic oral exams, repair cavities, and help keep teeth and gums healthy. Most dental school graduates are eligible to become general practitioners right away.
Specialties like oral surgery or orthodontia typically require additional schooling and in-field training. So long as practitioner has the basic DDS or DDM degree, however, he or she is still simply called “doctor.”
Combined Degrees
In some cases, dentists carry more than one doctorate-level degree. This is often the case with a dentist who has also attended medical school, or a research dentist who has gone on to earn a Doctor of Philosophy, or PhD, degree. This sort of advanced training often helps practitioners to do better work, but it does not impact their titles. A doctor is a doctor after the first degree.
Professional Privileges
Like most medical doctors, dentists are typically able to write and fill prescriptions, as well as make diagnoses and provide primary care. These powers set them apart from dental assistants and hygienists, professionals who act more as assistants than doctors. In many practices, assistants do much of the hands-on work with patients, including initial exams, preparation of x-rays, and basic cleanings. The doctor will examine all findings, however, and is usually responsible for making a final determination when it comes to a patient’s oral health.
http://www.wisegeek.org/is-a-dentist-a-doctor.htm#didyouknowout

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dentists are quacks.

i had my tooth filled and the dentist failed to inform me to avoid hard foods. I went home and consumed some peanuts and 'crack', the filling dropped off together with half the crown of my tooth. workmanship and filling contents were lousy.

I never visited any dentists ever again after that incident.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some of their University course modules are common, but they're professionally and legally qualified to practice in different specialties (medical vs dental). In terms of income and prestige, by right they're of the same level. By left, and partly because medicine has many more fields, specialties and subspecialties compared to dentistry, there is higher potential for earning (and associated prestige) in certain specialties of Medicine. Dentistry is relatively limited, by comparison.

Although dentists often start their practice with similar IQs as doctors, it has been documented that many dentists (and their nurses, and of course, their patients most directly) suffer significant brain damage in the course of their practice, due to the inhalation of toxic mercury vapor from mercury amalgam fillings. After many decades of causing brain damage to the public, mercury amalgam fillings have since banned in most countries in the world.

Unfortunately, Singapore continues to use mercury amalgam fillings. Most Singaporeans (especially those above 30 years old) have mercury fillings in their teeth. If you're going to need new fillings, tell your dentist you insist on non-mercury fillings.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies: did u all watch 72家半房客 long ago in Shaws Cinemas? :biggrin: there was a cobbler (shoe-repairer) who used a pair of pliers to pull the wrong tooth of 369 the policeman in shorts leh! that was how dentists came about lor!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dentists are quacks.

i had my tooth filled and the dentist failed to inform me to avoid hard foods. I went home and consumed some peanuts and 'crack', the filling dropped off together with half the crown of my tooth. workmanship and filling contents were lousy.

I never visited any dentists ever again after that incident.

That's because you visited an el cheapo dentist, probably an inexperienced fresh grad, and the clinic is filled with heartlander peasants. The clinic probably has a high turnover rate too, so every six months dentists disappear and are replaced by new faces.